Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Where/How can I sell stuff in the UK?

Where/How can I sell stuff in the UK?

Old Feb 16th 2014, 2:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Where/How can I sell stuff in the UK?

Hey guys, there's some stuff that we brought with us from the US that we want to sell. We have one painting (not by anyone really famous), some ceramic/pottery pieces, some figurines and a few glass paperweights we want to make some money off of.

Since y'all are the resident experts on all things UK, where/how do I begin my search to find out where we can see these things? Should I look for an auction house or something like that?
Old Feb 16th 2014, 2:15 pm

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where/How can I sell stuff in the UK?

You could try gumtree.com/uk which tends to attract local people or ebay.co.uk where you can either post the item or have the buyer pick it up. Car boot sales grow in popularity when the weather warms up.
Old Feb 16th 2014, 2:42 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
Hey guys, there's some stuff that we brought with us from the US that we want to sell. We have one painting (not by anyone really famous), some ceramic/pottery pieces, some figurines and a few glass paperweights we want to make some money off of.

Since y'all are the resident experts on all things UK, where/how do I begin my search to find out where we can see these things? Should I look for an auction house or something like that?
Gumtree and eBay are useful for selling things locally, though expect to encounter plenty of time-wasters.

There are often local Facebook buy and sell sites also. I use two local ones and sometimes things sell within minutes of me advertising them.

If you have artwork, furniture, jewellery, etc. you could also take it to the Great Western Auctions in Glasgow. This may be too far for you, but perhaps there is a local auction house you could find. The advantage of auction houses is that you sell most of your stuff in one go.

Web site for Great Western Auctions
Old Feb 16th 2014, 3:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
.... If you have artwork, furniture, jewellery, etc. you could also take it to the Great Western Auctions in Glasgow. This may be too far for you, but perhaps there is a local auction house you could find. The advantage of auction houses is that you sell most of your stuff in one go. .....
Good idea, even small towns often have a general auction house. Go take a look around, and see what they sell and if they have specific auctions for what you want to sell, such as paintings and collectables. IME Most of what they sell most of the time is cheap furniture and "house clearance" stuff, plus unclaimed property recovered by the police.

The auctioneer maybe be willing to volunteer a likely pricefor what you want to sell, but you might take the time to attend a few auctions and see what they're selling and for how much.
Old Feb 16th 2014, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Ebay is good in that you can do the advanced search and see what something actually sold for not what some one thought it was worth plus you can see how many bids there were.

As mentioned an auction house can be a good resource as well, the auctioneer sells a lot of stuff and will know what it goes for.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

I've used Bonhams in London to sell a variety of antiques/collectibles before moving - and was quite pleased
Looks like you're in Edinburgh. They do have a saleroom there.
Bring your items in.(Obviously ring them first, make an appointment)
They'll do a free valuation and then you can decide.

http://www.bonhams.com/locations/EDI/