Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Where do *you* buy your Christmas cards?

Where do *you* buy your Christmas cards?

Old Dec 14th 2011, 1:27 am
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Where do *you* buy your Christmas cards?

Costco print your own!
Old Dec 14th 2011, 1:47 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

We did ours with Apple via iPhoto and the online print store. They have some pre-set designs and you just drag and drop the photo you want. I think it worked out to about $1.30 per card or so.

The picture quality was excellent, but as we're currently in Hong Kong they were printed in Japan.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 1:53 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't bought cards for years musta been "the wonder of woolworths the last box"
Old Dec 14th 2011, 2:07 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

I always try to send charity cards, but they're pretty thin on the ground over here. (Or maybe they're not so common anywhere anymore - I don't know.) Anyway, this year I snagged some Unicef ones in IKEA of all places....
Old Dec 14th 2011, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
I always try to send charity cards, but they're pretty thin on the ground over here. (Or maybe they're not so common anywhere anymore - I don't know.) Anyway, this year I snagged some Unicef ones in IKEA of all places....
Yes, I always buy UNICEF ones which you can buy from Barnes and Noble or Pier 1.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 8:29 am
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
As to Happy Holidays vs. Merry Christmas -- if I know that the person I'm sending a card to doesn't celebrate Christmas, I'm not going to use that wording.
Well the only people I know that don't celebrate Christmas either don't do so because that time of year has bad associations, in which case a Happy Holidays card isn't going to be any better than Merry Christmas, or else even though their religion is different, they are quite happy to send/receive Xmas cards. In my office we have Jewish, Muslim and Hindu colleagues but they all send Xmas cards. I think Happy Holidays is totally superfluous. These 'offended people' only exist in the imagination of the politically correct.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 1:40 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Squirrel
I think Happy Holidays is totally superfluous. These 'offended people' only exist in the imagination of the politically correct.
There is no difference between "Season's Greetings" and "Happy Holidays" -- they mean exactly the same thing, and there have been "Season's Greetings" cards in the UK, saying nothing about Christmas, for as long as I can remember; that is the terminology I use on cards for the non-religious or those who don't celebrate. It has nothing to do with being politically correct, and everything to do with common courtesy. I always wonder how many of the folks who insist that it's Christmas or nothing are in church on Christmas Day to recognize what the whole thing is really all about!
Old Dec 14th 2011, 1:51 pm
Account Closed

There is no difference between "Season's Greetings" and "Happy Holidays" -- they mean exactly the same thing, and there have been "Season's Greetings" cards in the UK, saying nothing about Christmas, for as long as I can remember; that is the terminology I use on cards for the non-religious or those who don't celebrate. It has nothing to do with being politically correct, and everything to do with common courtesy. I always wonder how many of the folks who insist that it's Christmas or nothing are in church on Christmas Day to recognize what the whole thing is really all about!

But it isn't just cards is it? In the US the word Christmas has been totally obliterated.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 1:55 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

But it isn't just cards is it? In the US the word Christmas has been totally obliterated.
I live in a very liberal part of the country, and it isn't obliterated here -- I'm sure that in the much more religious "red states" it is even more front and centre.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

We bought a few "special" cards for family in the UK - the boxed cards we got at Costco weren't "right". All the family cards were Hallmark - at $3.00 - $5.00 each - for ordinary cards to go "across the miles". We like to "send the ones we love the very best", but this is ridiculous! I don't begrudge the cost of the cards to beloved family members - I just resent the heck out of Hallmark having increased their prices (doubtless to subsidize R&D for their action, talking & recordable cards?) while reducing the size & quality of the cards! Staples is looking like a very strong contender to get my custom next year for that DIY Christmas card project!!!
Old Dec 14th 2011, 2:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Really...you know I don't thing anyone has been locked up for saying the "C "word to my knowledge anyway.

And if you are going to blame anyone then blame Bing...

Happy Holiday
Happy holiday, happy holiday
While the merry bells keep ringing
May your ev'ry wish come true

Happy holiday, happy holiday
May the calendar keep bringing
Happy holidays to you

Come To Holiday Inn
If you're burdened down with trouble
If your nerves are wearing thin
Park your load down the road
And come to Holiday Inn

If the traffic noise affects you
Like a squeaky violin
Kick your cares down the stairs
And come to Holiday Inn

If you can't find someone who
Would set your heart a-whirl
Take your car and motor to
The home of boy meets girl

If you're laid-up with a breakdown
Throw away your vitamin
Don't get worse, grab your nurse
And come to Holiday Inn
Old Dec 14th 2011, 2:32 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

That's reminded me to change the wording on my avi
Old Dec 14th 2011, 2:48 pm
Account Closed

I guess I just mean anything ‘official’ now has to be called Holiday instead of Christmas. Companies don’t have Christmas catalogues like in the UK, they have Holiday catalogues. My SIL’s party is called a Holiday party, restaurants advertise Holiday dinners. And Rhode Island have just officially renamed their Christmas Tree the Holiday Tree.
DH really hates it. One of his favourite talk show hosts actually gives prizes of T-shirts out with Happy Holidays crossed out and Merry Christmas underneath. And I don’t think you should only be allowed to hate this stuff if you go to church regularly. Christmas is part of a tradition not just from a religious aspect, indeed many traditions like Christmas Trees have nothing to do with Christianity.
What makes me laugh is that all the stuff in the ‘Holiday’ catalogues is Christmas stuff (baubles, decorations, trees, cards etc) so it is not as if it is including other religions, it is just re-naming Christmas.
Oh and Season’s Greetings is sometimes on the inside of a card but Merry Christmas will be on the outside or vice versa, it’s not usually Season’s Greetings inside and outside.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 3:38 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

And I don’t think you should only be allowed to hate this stuff if you go to church regularly. Christmas is part of a tradition not just from a religious aspect.
Hello, Christ's mass, birth of Christ! Everything else is just a commercially invented invitation to spend money. (By the way, good typo! It is a little hateful not to take others' feelings into consideration!)

Oh and Season’s Greetings is sometimes on the inside of a card but Merry Christmas will be on the outside or vice versa, it’s not usually Season’s Greetings inside and outside.
There are zillions of cards that are Season's Greetings with no Christmas language.

Hey, I have no problem with anyone insisting that for them it is all about Christmas this time of year -- that's what I celebrate -- but I do believe that it is basic courtesy not to foist it on others for whom it is not a holiday (as in holy day).
Old Dec 14th 2011, 4:23 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

I live in a very liberal part of the country, and it isn't obliterated here -- I'm sure that in the much more religious "red states" it is even more front and centre.
Sadly that is not the case here in NC. I only know 3 couples that don't go to church, one couple are American, one couple are Brits and the other couple are me and hubby all the rest of the people I know or have come across during my 14 years of living here are all deeply religious and attend church, and even they all refer to the Christmas season as the "Holidays"

Perhaps they should move Christmas to around the time of year that Jesus was presumed to be born, and then that would leave the winter festivities to all the pagans of the world as it was once Everyone's a winner then

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.