British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Where is the anger? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/where-anger-940577/)

johnbrown1938 Sep 12th 2021 4:53 pm

Re: Where is the anger?

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 13050503)
I do not see the connection between your immigration status and Covid.

People who are there legally on L1 or whatever are trapped aren't they?

civilservant Sep 12th 2021 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by johnbrown1938 (Post 13050532)
The anger is in the UK among your families who cannot visit you and may never be able to visit you again. I think Biden will keep the ban forever against the UK. But hey I got my money back so I am not really that bothered.

Phase 6? What does that mean. I thought Marvel was in phase 4?

So why ask where the anger is in the US forum them? The OP speaks like those that are not LPRs or USCs have any voice what so ever in US politics. They don't, by design.

The WHO declared COVID 19 a Phase 6 (Global Pandemic) on March 11th, 2020.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK143061/

People who are there legally on L1 or whatever are trapped aren't they?
No they are most certainly not 'trapped' They are free to return to the UK permanently if they so wish.

karenkaren1 Sep 12th 2021 5:20 pm

No they are most certainly not 'trapped' They are free to return to the UK permanently if they so wish.[/QUOTE]

I beg to differ....as someone who is here on an L1 - unless we want to leave permanently (not an option whilst my kids both in high school) then YES actually we are trapped

civilservant Sep 12th 2021 5:25 pm

Um.... that's exactly what I said. So you didn't 'beg to differ' in any way whatsoever.

If you have an option to escape, you are not by definition, trapped. An option, however unpalatable, is an option.

karenkaren1 Sep 12th 2021 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 13050542)
Um.... that's exactly what I said. So you didn't 'beg to differ' in any way whatsoever.

If you have an option to escape, you are not by definition, trapped. An option, however unpalatable, is an option.

why do u insist on splitting hairs? if I leave (to see my 96 yr old grandmother), I take a huge risk of not being able to get back therefore fking up my kids education and fking up my business. by my definition, I am trapped. stop being so annoying

johnbrown1938 Sep 12th 2021 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by karenkaren1 (Post 13050547)
why do u insist on splitting hairs? if I leave (to see my 96 yr old grandmother), I take a huge risk of not being able to get back therefore fking up my kids education and fking up my business. by my definition, I am trapped. stop being so annoying

Won't your kids have to leave soon if the green card doesn't come before they pass 18 years old? I read a few of your recent post and they seem close to that age. If they did it would be very cruel for them to return by themselves so maybe you should seriously consider leaving if indeed that is the situation. If I am incorrect I apologise.

civilservant Sep 12th 2021 5:51 pm

why do u insist on splitting hairs?
:rofl:

Splitting hairs to you is actually just you being fundamentally wrong.

You have a choice. Either take it, or quit complaining about it.

The US was generous enough to allow you to come here in the first place, and you knew the restrictions. Why are you now expecting the rest of us to rise up in anger at that which is not harming us? As I have said before in other threads, I'm sure that a good percentage of my fellow citizens would vote to outright ban all forms of immigration, so they aren't going to lose any sleep over you visiting your gran.

I love how freedom of speech only extends to the point that you find someone 'annoying'

SpoogleDrummer Sep 12th 2021 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by droidguy72 (Post 13050068)
That's mostly right, but there's a key point to make here: Trump briefly lifted the ban on travel from the UK before leaving office, and Biden reinstated it. Biden did not extend or continue this ban. It was his very own presidential proclamation. I think it's important to state this because even though I agreed with the ban in January, I am now seeing the defence of "ah well it was Trump's thing anyway".

Trump basically did what some people do when they lose their job, make as big a mess as possible for someone else to clean up after them in the hope it makes the new person look bad at their job and in turn makes you look better.

civilservant Sep 12th 2021 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 13050553)
Trump basically did what some people do when they lose their job, make as big a mess as possible for someone else to clean up after them in the hope it makes the new person look bad at their job and in turn makes you look better.

To be fair, he's succeeded in that pretty well with Afghanistan.

johnbrown1938 Sep 12th 2021 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 13050553)

In terms of his power Trump did nothing. He could have been far worse. His final pardons where a joke in terms of causing trouble for Biden. He could have pardoned every terrorist and traitor in that Supermax jail in Colorado then killed Assad in drone strike in Syria and bombed Iran and North Korea nuclear ambitions. Then had Edward Snowden killed as well and the family of that boston bomber in russia. Didn't Trump claim he would killed terrorists kids or parents to make them sorry? He did none of that.

karenkaren1 Sep 12th 2021 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 13050550)
:rofl:

Splitting hairs to you is actually just you being fundamentally wrong.

You have a choice. Either take it, or quit complaining about it.

The US was generous enough to allow you to come here in the first place, and you knew the restrictions. Why are you now expecting the rest of us to rise up in anger at that which is not harming us? As I have said before in other threads, I'm sure that a good percentage of my fellow citizens would vote to outright ban all forms of immigration, so they aren't going to lose any sleep over you visiting your gran.

I love how freedom of speech only extends to the point that you find someone 'annoying'

and I am good enough to employ US citizens, do my bit for the economy and pay my taxes. FYI no-one knew there would be a pandemic with contradictory restrictions. Some of us work damn hard to be here, we aren't handed it on a silver platter by just marrying an American! seems that route gives 'some' people the right to be sanctimonious

baggy1971 Sep 12th 2021 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by karenkaren1 (Post 13050568)
and I am good enough to employ US citizens, do my bit for the economy and pay my taxes. FYI no-one knew there would be a pandemic with contradictory restrictions. Some of us work damn hard to be here, we aren't handed it on a silver platter by just marrying an American! seems that route gives 'some' people the right to be sanctimonious

Long time lurker, first time poster.

The above prompted me to respond, as the 'holier than thou' attitude tries my patience.

You were lucky enough to be offered a chance to work in another country. That country offered you an opportunity. You accepted and understood (at least you should have done) that this opportunity was at the pleasure of that country and you are a guest on their shores with the expectation that you can be removed from that country with no more than 24hrs notice.

You are required to follow the rules and laws of that country without question. You are entitled to no benefits, grants or privileges reserved for the citizens of that country, until such a time, by whatever means, you too become a citizen of said country.

How you got there, regardless of what you 'think' your contributions to that country are (by way of taxes or employment of residents or citizens) you are still entitled to nothing from that country.

It is statements like yours that make me embarrassed to be a British national in the US. As to marrying to gain citizenship, I am a citizen and I got that privilege over a period of 15 years through hard work. I understood that during that time I was entitled to nothing. Even now, I still believe it is not my place to question previous administrations or the present one, for granting me the right to become a citizen of this country.

In short. If you don't like it - go back to the UK.....or shut up and accept the privilege you have been given and value it for the precious opportunity that it is.

civilservant Sep 12th 2021 7:44 pm

Some of us work damn hard to be here, we aren't handed it on a silver platter by just marrying an American! seems that route gives 'some' people the right to be sanctimonious
Oh yes - really hitting me where it hurts there :rofl:

and I am good enough to employ US citizens, do my bit for the economy and pay my taxes
And I don't of course. Based on your extensive knowledge of my life.

Your contributions to the US, such as they are, entitled you to nothing. Zero. Zilch. Sorry. You are not a citizen of this country, nor are you an LPR.

Stop complaining, or go home. End of.

karenkaren1 Sep 12th 2021 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by baggy1971 (Post 13050577)
Long time lurker, first time poster.

The above prompted me to respond, as the 'holier than thou' attitude tries my patience.

You were lucky enough to be offered a chance to work in another country. That country offered you an opportunity. You accepted and understood (at least you should have done) that this opportunity was at the pleasure of that country and you are a guest on their shores with the expectation that you can be removed from that country with no more than 24hrs notice.

You are required to follow the rules and laws of that country without question. You are entitled to no benefits, grants or privileges reserved for the citizens of that country, until such a time, by whatever means, you too become a citizen of said country.

How you got there, regardless of what you 'think' your contributions to that country are (by way of taxes or employment of residents or citizens) you are still entitled to nothing from that country.

It is statements like yours that make me embarrassed to be a British national in the US. As to marrying to gain citizenship, I am a citizen and I got that privilege over a period of 15 years through hard work. I understood that during that time I was entitled to nothing. Even now, I still believe it is not my place to question previous administrations or the present one, for granting me the right to become a citizen of this country.

In short. If you don't like it - go back to the UK.....or shut up and accept the privilege you have been given and value it for the precious opportunity that it is.

FYI for the most part I have an amazing life here. I work hard and play hard. I am in the midst of the green card process (delayed by pandemic) but right now I feel trapped with pandemic restrictions and in over 3 years of being here - it’s the first time I have felt this way and the first time I have complained so u can keep your aggressive “shut up or go back to the uk” comments to yourself. Rude.

civilservant Sep 12th 2021 8:29 pm

and the first time I have complained so u can keep your aggressive “shut up or go back to the uk” comments to yourself. Rude.
Don't like being called out do we?

You don't get to determine how someone responds to you on a public forum. We Americans like our free speech :nod: