Where is the anger?

Old Sep 10th 2021, 2:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where is the anger?

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
"You pays your money and you takes your choice" . . . we made the decision to move to this country, and that decision will impact every aspect of the rest of our lives, for better and for worse. All we can do at times like this is get on with life -- and keep that stiff British upper lip! As has been pointed out, at least nowadays we can still see our loved ones via online meetings.
Exactly! There are always going to be birthdays and weddings and family get together that you will miss when you live in another country especially when you are still working. You have to accept it.

Fair enough, this situation is different right now so the OP needs to either accept it or pack your bags and move back. If you want your life here to be successful then I wouldn't recommend the second choice!
Old Sep 10th 2021, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
I agree that people should be vaccinated, but it is flagrantly not true that 'this is a pandemic of the unvaccinated' A huge percentage of the world has not even had the chance to get a single shot, let alone be fully vaccinated.
We're not talking about the rest of the world though, we're explicitly talking about Brits in the US that wish to visit the UK.

The fact that there's people elsewhere in the world who haven't had a single dose yet is awful - and we should absolutely be working to get them vaccinated - but I really don't see what that has to do with travel between the US and the UK.

In the context of the conversation it absolutely is a pandemic of the unvaccinated.
Old Sep 10th 2021, 3:33 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

The fact that there's people elsewhere in the world who haven't had a single dose yet is awful - and we should absolutely be working to get them vaccinated - but I really don't see what that has to do with travel between the US and the UK.
You assume that everyone that flies between the US and UK is FROM the US or UK.

A faulty assumption.
Old Sep 10th 2021, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Fair enough, this situation is different right now so the OP needs to either accept it or pack your bags and move back.
Yes, but the restrictions were originally purported to have been introduced to stop the spread of COVID back when there were no vaccines, no treatments and we really didn't know what we were dealing with.

Now that we DO have effective, safe vaccines that are freely available to everyone it really makes little sense to continue the restrictions for non-immigrant visa holders who are vaccinated, all the whilst US Citizens and Permanent Residents (many of who are not vaccinated and have no intention of getting vaccinated) have been able to freely travel in and out of the UK all along.

The indisputable fact is that ICUs here in the US aren't full of people retuning from their holidays or foreign nationals who have visited their families, they are full of Americans who have explicitly chosen not to take a freely available vaccine.
Old Sep 10th 2021, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

A faulty assumption.
So exempt those who can prove US residency, or implement one of a thousand other ways in which the ban could be relaxed if this was genuinely driven by science.

It's an Executive Order; it can literally be changed at the stroke of a pen.

Old Sep 10th 2021, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

postbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond repute

A faulty assumption.
True, but vaccination status can be easily checked on boarding or arrival rather than a blanket ban. At the moment, no one who isn't American is flying to the US from the UK (or Europe).
Old Sep 10th 2021, 3:54 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by postbox134
True, but vaccination status can be easily checked on boarding or arrival rather than a blanket ban. At the moment, no one who isn't American is flying to the US from the UK (or Europe).
Permanent residents can also enter the US freely, not just citizens.
Old Sep 10th 2021, 4:20 pm
Just Joined

1speedy is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not sure if I am understanding, you say because you are British you are not allowed to fly back to the UK from the USA. I know two sets of UK families who left from LAX and flew to Heathrow and they have spent time in the UK this past August visiting their families back there in the UK and they came back to the US without any issues. They all had UK passports and green cards.
Old Sep 10th 2021, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

postbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1speedy
They all had UK passports and green cards.
Key part here being green card holder, there's lots of us here on temporary work visas such as L-1, H-1, E-2 etc who can't do that.
Old Sep 10th 2021, 4:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

They all had UK passports and green cards.
And that's the difference - only citizens and green card holders are currently allowed to enter the US from the UK, plus a limited bunch of other people (spouses of US citizens etc). The rest of us are subject to the travel ban that's been in place since March 2020. The OP appears to be on a work visa, so isn't exempt from the travel ban unfortunately.
Old Sep 10th 2021, 5:41 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

This is one of the big disadvantages to living/working in a foreign land. The rules and regulations under which a person decides to do so can, and are, changed at the stoke of a pen. If someone is on a work visa there is a element of insecurity attached to that arrangement. People tend to make the assumption that things will remain the same but sometimes the uncontrollable throws a spanner in the works.

I haven't seen my sons in the UK for over 2 years. One grand daughter I haven't even met yet in person. While the regulations allow us to travel, Mrs L is in a high risk group and we are not prepared to take the risk, so I too feel somewhat imprisoned. If Biden is wrong and keeps the regulations in place at worse he inconveniences a lot of people. If he removes the regulations and is wrong he may well increase the number of deaths.

There is little much of us can do about it, but at the moment life has dealt those of us who decided to leave their homeland and live elsewhere a bad hand.
Old Sep 10th 2021, 6:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
This is one of the big disadvantages to living/working in a foreign land. The rules and regulations under which a person decides to do so can, and are, changed at the stoke of a pen. If someone is on a work visa there is a element of insecurity attached to that arrangement. People tend to make the assumption that things will remain the same but sometimes the uncontrollable throws a spanner in the works.

I haven't seen my sons in the UK for over 2 years. One grand daughter I haven't even met yet in person. While the regulations allow us to travel, Mrs L is in a high risk group and we are not prepared to take the risk, so I too feel somewhat imprisoned. If Biden is wrong and keeps the regulations in place at worse he inconveniences a lot of people. If he removes the regulations and is wrong he may well increase the number of deaths.

There is little much of us can do about it, but at the moment life has dealt those of us who decided to leave their homeland and live elsewhere a bad hand.
I haven't seen my son in over 2 years either. We can't go because of medical issues and my son who has just had his second vaccine will have to wait until he can take enough time off because of work commitments. Jobs right now are important, especially full time work and as much as I want to hug him Sunday Skype time is all we have right now! We are looking at Christmas now unless something changes
Old Sep 10th 2021, 6:58 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by droidguy72
I'm in several British expat groups and I feel like I am in the minority with my frustrations over Biden's travel ban.

We haven't been able to get over to the UK for 2 years. I live in fear of my UK family getting sick. My mother has chronic health issues, as does my sister. I can go there and help out, but I won't get back to my home in the US, not without a ridiculous layover on the way back that I can't afford. My kids won't get back to school, and I won't get back to my work. I am on an L-1 visa in a 'non-critical' industry, so NIEs are not an option for me.

My kids grandparents have missed birthdays, other life events and everything in between. I went through major surgery here and we had to rely on the help of only one two friends who live nearby. We are extremely stressed by all of this.

We've done our part. Both my wife and I got our vaccines. We wear our masks everywhere.

I want to live here and I want my kids to have a better life, but I am so fed up of paying in to the US economy and getting nothing back. I work in a specialized industry and pay a fortune in taxes here.

But what do we get? No stimulus, no child tax credits, and no way back to our family in the UK that won't cost a fortune. When I see Biden's family holidaying in Europe, my frustration boils over.

I feel like a second class citizen and I don't even think we are an afterthought for Biden.

Where do we go from here? I've composed letters, I've sent tweets, I've tried to make phone calls. When will this administration listen to the pain they are causing and "follow the science" like they say they do?
I probably sit on the other side of the fence… I think there should have been more travel restrictions, including for USC, probably close to the NZ model with proper quarantine enforced on arrival for all. I am a dual citizen and could have traveled and did not because I did not think any of the family stuff was a good enough reason vs. the population health risk.

Your not a second class citizen, your an alien, they only start treating you more like a citizen when you have a path to citizenship/voting , aka have your green card.. and citizenship is your to loose..

I don’t understand your other points, if you were under the AGI level of $150k to be eligible to receive any stimulus check you are not really paying a fortune in taxes… if your earning more than the limit you would not qualify a citizen either… having moved from working in Ireland and the UK I can tell you that I found US income taxes to be lower than both of them once your take in to account all the deductions and allowances and look at the effective rate paid.
Old Sep 10th 2021, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

droidguy72 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tht
I probably sit on the other side of the fence… I think there should have been more travel restrictions, including for USC, probably close to the NZ model with proper quarantine enforced on arrival for all. I am a dual citizen and could have traveled and did not because I did not think any of the family stuff was a good enough reason vs. the population health risk.

Your not a second class citizen, your an alien, they only start treating you more like a citizen when you have a path to citizenship/voting , aka have your green card.. and citizenship is your to loose..

I don’t understand your other points, if you were under the AGI level of $150k to be eligible to receive any stimulus check you are not really paying a fortune in taxes… if your earning more than the limit you would not qualify a citizen either… having moved from working in Ireland and the UK I can tell you that I found US income taxes to be lower than both of them once your take in to account all the deductions and allowances and look at the effective rate paid.
I earn over $150k; my wife does not. We'd have been eligible for something if we were USCs/GCs who filed as married. The same goes for the child tax credits. We don't receive the extended child tax credits because my kids are not SSN eligible until they have GCs. They have ITINs, but that is not sufficient. Anyway, missing out on government handouts is not the point of the post, the point is the inconsistency and irrationality in how the current administration, namely President Biden, has approached COVID policies, particularly with immigrants.
Old Sep 10th 2021, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

droidguy72 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not sure if I am understanding, you say because you are British you are not allowed to fly back to the UK from the USA. I know two sets of UK families who left from LAX and flew to Heathrow and they have spent time in the UK this past August visiting their families back there in the UK and they came back to the US without any issues. They all had UK passports and green cards.
We're British citizens who don't have our GCs yet. We have L-1 visas. Apparently, L-1 visa holders who have resided in the US for years, and gotten vaccinated in the US, are as much a threat to the US COVID recovery efforts as unknown tourists.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.