Where is the anger?

Old Sep 14th 2021, 11:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where is the anger?

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
In this case the US would have to accept them back as we never allowed them to enter.
Airlines have a responsibility to take back a person who is denied entry. Airlines can attempt to charge the passenger for the flight back if they arrived on a one way ticket and those flights with less than 24 hours notice aint cheap. If the person refuses to pay then we step in and remind them of their liability. Normally when I was doing these types of cases the airlines were OK to work with but was involved in the odd shouting match with gate check in staff. Some airlines had no evening flights so dependent on what time they arrived it was an overnight stay. God forbid we dealt with a charter airline who flew only once a week.

Dependent on the reason for denial Yes it could end up with them staying in jail or an overnight cell at the airport. Also to note that in having to take this passenger back and if the returning flight was full then somebody needed bumping from that flight.
I knew you would know the answer, I wasn't sure how it worked with people arriving from A country to B country but being a national of neither A or B.

I was never one of those argumentative gate agents, but eh every airline I worked for, we just bit the cost and bumping if necessary, no point in arguing the person was denied entry, what the hell am I going argue with the customs person about?

Its like some of the leads I worked with would get all worked up when their flight would get chosen by CBSA to x-ray the bags during offload with the fancy X-ray truck, sure it slowed things down, but eh why get worked up over it, it is what it is, and any departure delay can be blamed on CBSA for internal record keeping (airlines are anal about delays and even 1 minute late off the gate needs to have a reason in the computer) it's really not the end of the world, plus I welcomed CBSA, it was nice working a more leisurely pace during the offload.

But they rarely came to our flights to begin with, the Mexico arrivals on Air Canada and Wesjet jet were more interesting than our 5th flight of the day from Seattle.

Although the seasonal JFK and Detroit flight got chosen more, but not surprised, I know JFK can be a hot bed for drugs, and I wouldn't be surprised if Detroit it a hot bed for guns and drugs.

Now I was a little suspicious of bags with heavy scent of coffee and almost always wrapped in the stupid saran wrap crap. (wrap a bag up so there is no handles accessible, guess what your bag is treated even worse)

It was sort of weird though seeing the CBSA people on TV then seeing them at the airport, your brain wants to go, TV person, but then you go, but they are not actors.

One perk the CBSA peeps had was their ability to ................but I can't say what as it might be considered SSI so will err on the side of caution.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Sep 14th 2021 at 11:06 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2021, 2:27 am
Forum Regular

droidguy72 is an unknown quantity at this point

Charles Cooke covered the issue well on Fox News yesterday: https://video.foxnews.com/v/62723400...#sp=show-clips

Also good to see some ambassadors to the US (from Ireland, NL, Poland) and politicians (Rep. Brendan Boyle) have applied pressure recently.

However, I do have very little hope that Biden will change the laws anytime soon.

I can only hope I get my GC finalised in the next year and a half, and cross my fingers than my family in the UK does not get sick and require my help.
Old Sep 15th 2021, 11:52 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Fox news. Complaining because it's Biden keeping the boarders shut (Oh the humanity! A Democrat has continued the policies of our ejected demi-God!) but the second he reopens them they'll be hitting him from the other side for allowing 'aliens' bringing COVID into the US.
Old Sep 15th 2021, 12:10 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by droidguy72
Charles Cooke covered the issue well on Fox News yesterday: https://video.foxnews.com/v/62723400...#sp=show-clips

Also good to see some ambassadors to the US (from Ireland, NL, Poland) and politicians (Rep. Brendan Boyle) have applied pressure recently.

However, I do have very little hope that Biden will change the laws anytime soon.

I can only hope I get my GC finalised in the next year and a half, and cross my fingers than my family in the UK does not get sick and require my help.
I’ve noticed this type of terminology a lot in this thread. Biden will, or won’t, do this or that. It’s really a lot more useful and accurate to think of the US Government taking certain actions. It’s really neither here nor there, whether the person who is currently president is particularly invested in any particular government action or policy.
Old Sep 15th 2021, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by civilservant
Oh Fox news. Complaining because it's Biden keeping the boarders shut (Oh the humanity! A Democrat has continued the policies of our ejected demi-God!) but the second he reopens them they'll be hitting him from the other side for allowing 'aliens' bringing COVID into the US.
I don't know how many times I need to state this: Biden implemented the travel ban on the UK. Trump lifted one before leaving office. Please get your facts straight. I am no fan of Biden's predecessor, but it is important to know where policy originates from.

Originally Posted by robin1234
I’ve noticed this type of terminology a lot in this thread. Biden will, or won’t, do this or that. It’s really a lot more useful and accurate to think of the US Government taking certain actions. It’s really neither here nor there, whether the person who is currently president is particularly invested in any particular government action or policy.
It is literally a Presidential proclamation. The President's office drafted this legislation and then signed it. It did not come through the Senate, or Congress.
Old Sep 15th 2021, 1:07 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

It is literally a Presidential proclamation. The President's office drafted this legislation and then signed it. It did not come through the Senate, or Congress.
Yes, I’m well aware of that. Doesn’t mean that the President sat at his desk and wrote it himself, or that he’s particularly invested in this policy. The US government has to do a lot every day, and presidential proclamations are one of the ways they do stuff that needs to be effected ASAP.
Old Sep 15th 2021, 1:17 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know how many times I need to state this: Biden implemented the travel ban on the UK. Trump lifted one before leaving office. Please get your facts straight. I am no fan of Biden's predecessor, but it is important to know where policy originates from.

Nothing done by the President is without the approval and/or at the direction of the Senate/Congress.
Old Sep 15th 2021, 1:21 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat096 is an unknown quantity at this point

Fwiw Trump never lifted the ban at all. He signed an order to do so on the 18th/19th of january 2021, Which was due to come into effect on the 26th.

Biden basically cut and pasted the original ban and reinstated it on the 21st....

It would have been foolish to have lifted the ban in January the UK in Particular was having a pretty tough time of it with covid. It was nothing but a petty politically motivated move from Trump.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat096; Sep 15th 2021 at 1:34 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2021, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Biden implemented the travel ban on the UK. Trump lifted one before leaving office. Please get your facts straight.
Oh indeed, and the pertinent fact here is that the under Trump's order the ban would have lifted six days after he left office.

It was a blatant attempt to wipe the slate clean and pass on any responsibility for his actions to the Biden administration, giving the impression that Trump lifted the ban and then Biden put a new one in place.

Evidently it worked.
Old Sep 15th 2021, 1:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know how many times I need to state this: Biden implemented the travel ban on the UK. Trump lifted one before leaving office.
Except the ban was never actually lifted. Trump made an announcement saying it was going to be lifted on the 26th Jan 2021 (which would have been 6 days after Biden took office, so not his decision by then anyway), but it never happened, Biden's team swiftly said they had no intention of lifting the restrictions after all.
Old Sep 15th 2021, 1:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Extended enacted whatever

Current one had Biden's name on it whether he know what he was signing or not.
Old Sep 15th 2021, 1:37 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by TexanScot
Oh indeed, and the pertinent fact here is that the under Trump's order the ban would have lifted six days after he left office.

It was a blatant attempt to wipe the slate clean and pass on any responsibility for his actions to the Biden administration, giving the impression that Trump lifted the ban and then Biden put a new one in place.

Evidently it worked.
Absolutely, there was no logical basis for lifting the ban at that time.

It was simply a political manoeuvre
Old Sep 15th 2021, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
Nothing done by the President is without the approval and/or at the direction of the Senate/Congress.
Except that's not true at all. https://www.americanbar.org/groups/p...cutive-order-/
Old Sep 15th 2021, 1:39 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Boiler
Extended enacted whatever

Current one had Biden's name on it whether he know what he was signing or not.
And the previous one had trump's on it so whats your point?

Of course he knew what he was signing. Yet another petty assinine comment from yourself.
Old Sep 15th 2021, 1:41 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Everything that the President can do, generally speaking, can be overridden by Congress passing a law. It it something of a semantic argument, because we are talking about tacit approval rather than overt approval, but the point remains if that enough of them disagreed they could have written and passed a bill.

Last edited by civilservant; Sep 15th 2021 at 1:44 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.