Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

when you were moving to the US, what did you wish you'd known about?

when you were moving to the US, what did you wish you'd known about?

Old Oct 27th 2015, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: when you were moving to the US, what did you wish you'd known about?

Life in 2015
Old Oct 29th 2015, 3:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: when you were moving to the US, what did you wish you'd known about?

I guess we knew nothing really. The whole adventure from the get go was approached blindly.

What do I wish we had known?? Probably wished we had been a bit less trusting of certain people but in the long run the whole adventure made us stronger.

When you don't have the resources you find the way eventually. Sometimes that's more rewarding.
Old Oct 29th 2015, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

That if you wish to pay cash at a gas station, you have to pay upfront before the pump is authorised! Would've prevented me standing at the pump looking like a dick waiting!

Old Oct 29th 2015, 5:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

newadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond repute

That if you wish to pay cash at a gas station, you have to pay upfront before the pump is authorised! Would've prevented me standing at the pump looking like a dick waiting!
This. Also applies to paying by UK credit card. Especially annoying if you are heading to the airport to return a hire car so you don't know how much fuel you will need ("i just want to fill it up"). The message at the pump is something like "wait a moment" and you think it is trying to authorise your card, whereas it should be saying "go and talk to the person in the office"
Old Oct 29th 2015, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

newadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newadventure
This. Also applies to paying by UK credit card. Especially annoying if you are heading to the airport to return a hire car so you don't know how much fuel you will need ("i just want to fill it up"). The message at the pump is something like "wait a moment" and you think it is trying to authorise your card, whereas it should be saying "go and talk to the person in the office"
Old Oct 29th 2015, 5:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dj6372
That if you wish to pay cash at a gas station, you have to pay upfront before the pump is authorised! ....
Only crims and deadbeats pay cash for gas.
Old Oct 29th 2015, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Only crims and deadbeats pay cash for gas.
Or recent immigrants without US credit card!
Old Oct 29th 2015, 9:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I wish i could remember to take my coupons with me. So annoying getting to the store without the coupons. I am not sure if the model ever existed in the UK, if it did , probably before my time.

Also I wish that prices in grocery stores for some items did not vary by about 50% , especially pet food.
Old Oct 29th 2015, 9:28 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
I wish i could remember to take my coupons with me. So annoying getting to the store without the coupons. I am not sure if the model ever existed in the UK, if it did , probably before my time.

Also I wish that prices in grocery stores for some items did not vary by about 50% , especially pet food.
We have learned to (i) keep a stock of some things (those regularly discounted/ available with coupons) (ii) buy things discounted/with coupons even if we don't need them "today", and (iii) go grocery shopping prepared to buy whatever is a good price. We like steak and shrimp, and both are highly variable in price, so we generally buy them only when the price is down.
Old Oct 29th 2015, 9:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

We have learned to (i) keep a stock of some things (those regularly discounted/ available with coupons) (ii) buy things discounted/with coupons even if we don't need them "today",
Hence why we have a years supply of toilet roll and cat litter. We are prepared for the end times.

Thankfully the average American house is bigger than the average UK house
Old Oct 29th 2015, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30
Hence why we have a years supply of toilet roll and cat litter. We are prepared for the end times.

Thankfully the average American house is bigger than the average UK house
Keeping stock of our domestic inventory and ensuring we have an adequate supply on hand of all the essentials is a real headache. Luckily we have two 1,000 tablet bottles of ibu-profen which were discounted at BJ's.
Old Oct 29th 2015, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Our airing cupboard is full of loo roll, yup on a deal!
Old Oct 30th 2015, 6:15 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Keeping stock of our domestic inventory and ensuring we have an adequate supply on hand of all the essentials is a real headache. Luckily we have two 1,000 tablet bottles of ibu-profen which were discounted at BJ's.
We bought 1,000 tablets at Costco for $5 something in 2014, they expire in March 2016, and I don't think we will come close to using them all, but hey when 24 tablets are 5-7 dollars at Wal-Mart or a drug store, still a savings in the end. Pharmacy will take the unused and dispose of them free.

We stock up on things like toilet paper when the stores put them on for a cheap price, they do it every 4 to 5 weeks, but now are limiting to X amount per savings card, so harder to stock up.

Things like tooth brushes, tooth paste, deodorant, soap, laundry stuff and cleaning stuff and so on I will not pay full price for, same with razors which are a rip off even on sale.
Old Oct 30th 2015, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
We bought 1,000 tablets at Costco for $5 something in 2014, they expire in March 2016, .....
I spoke to a pharmacist at our church in England about drug strength after assaying aspirin tablets when I was studying chemistry at high school, and he explained that drugs were often made "overstrength" (aspirins by 10%) such that they were still effective on the expiry date, even when not stored in optimal conditions. So long as your ibuprofen has been stored in moderate temperatures it will likely be effective long after the nominal "expiry" date, and I would continue to use them for another 2-3 years, unless/until I was finding them to be ineffective. Unlike foods they certainly won't become potentially dangerous to use after the expiry date.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 30th 2015 at 9:40 am.
Old Oct 30th 2015, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

I wish that I had known that I could have continued to make National Insurance contributions in the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.