Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

When they don't know you're British

When they don't know you're British

Old Aug 18th 2010, 3:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When they don't know you're British

Originally Posted by gingerert
My favourite is when people forget I'm an immigrant - because I'm white and speak English - so they start banging on about immigration reform and 'shocking illegal immigrants' and denying people basic human rights.

Then I go: "But I'M an immigrant!" and they get all embarrased because there's just no comeback after that.
I have pointed out that I'm an immigrant, the answer was, "Yes but we want your sort."
Old Aug 18th 2010, 3:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by traceym
I dont see anywhere in gingerert's post where she labels herself as a 'victim' as you put it, she's taking a light hearted look at life here as a British person in response to a light hearted post!
By saying how she is an Immigrant, that somehow equates to being an illegal immigrant ? Sorry I was also enjoying the Post, but the part about Denying illegals Basic human rights.. I took offense as a USC and responded as I did not find that comment " Light hearted "...
Old Aug 18th 2010, 3:48 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oregon4now
By saying how she is an Immigrant, that somehow equates to being an illegal immigrant ? Sorry I was also enjoying the Post, but the part about Denying illegals Basic human rights.. I took offense as a USC and responded as I did not find that comment " Light hearted "...
Many USC and American media do not make a distinction between legal and illegal immigrants, sometimes this is just sloppy language, other times its racist, as they view all latios as being in one big pile. When I hear someone sayig that all immigrants should be sent back, I too point out that I am an immigrant, I find it helps them to clarify their language and thinking.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 4:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Many USC and American media do not make a distinction between legal and illegal immigrants, sometimes this is just sloppy language, other times its racist, as they view all latios as being in one big pile. When I hear someone sayig that all immigrants should be sent back, I too point out that I am an immigrant, I find it helps them to clarify their language and thinking.
That's definitely the way it comes over.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond repute

Nonsense. They most certainly make the distinction in every report that I have seen on telly.... Every single USC that I have spoken to in conversation about this most certainly make a Distinction. I have never heard that to send every immigrant back to their country, But I have heard & seen quite a few People say that about Mexicans & Salvadoreans in California, because of the Gang & Drug culture they bring into the neighborhoods etc.. There is nothing wrong at all with being an immigrant, Immigrants are what makes this Country so diverse.
But you must admit there is certainly a big diff between being illegal and legal in the sense in which we are talking about...
Old Aug 18th 2010, 4:24 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Nonsense. .......But you must admit .

If you find my observations to be nonsense, then I suppose there is little point in me saying anymore, except that I admit nothing and that your and my experiences and observations are both just a drop in the ocean, but they are still that, our experiences and not nonsense.

edit:
I am being a tad too touchy on the nonsense word.
You said "There is nothing wrong at all with being an immigrant, Immigrants are what makes this Country so diverse." and most of us would agree, but not everyone would agree.

Last edited by kimilseung; Aug 18th 2010 at 4:38 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

But I have heard & seen quite a few People say that about Mexicans & Salvadoreans in California, because of the Gang & Drug culture they bring into the neighborhoods etc.. There is nothing wrong at all with being an immigrant, Immigrants are what makes this Country so diverse.
30% (the majority) of all legal immigrants to the US are Mexican
Old Aug 18th 2010, 5:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

If you find my observations to be nonsense, then I suppose there is little point in me saying anymore, except that I admit nothing and that your and my experiences and observations are both just a drop in the ocean, but they are still that,our experiences and not nonsense.

edit:
I am being a tad too touchy on the nonsense word.
You said "There is nothing wrong at all with being an immigrant, Immigrants are what makes this Country so diverse." and most of us would agree, but not everyone would agree.
My sincerest apologies, I did not intend to offend, You have brought a very valid point about our experiences not being nonsense....
Thanks for your reply, Enjoy your day
Old Aug 18th 2010, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Zonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobbes79
30% (the majority) of all legal immigrants to the US are Mexican
Good for them, they did it the lawful way.

Another statistic, 69% (the majority) of all illegal immigrants to the US are Mexican.

Last edited by Zonie; Aug 18th 2010 at 8:56 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 9:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Nonsense. They most certainly make the distinction in every report that I have seen on telly.... Every single USC that I have spoken to in conversation about this most certainly make a Distinction. I have never heard that to send every immigrant back to their country, But I have heard & seen quite a few People say that about Mexicans & Salvadoreans in California, because of the Gang & Drug culture they bring into the neighborhoods etc.. There is nothing wrong at all with being an immigrant, Immigrants are what makes this Country so diverse.
But you must admit there is certainly a big diff between being illegal and legal in the sense in which we are talking about...
Sheltered life, much?

Blimey...

Occasionally you get that people have a distinction, but that is far from the norm and then you do often get that they just mean South Americans they don't want and it's all a very thin veil of ignorance at best.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 9:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zonie
Another statistic, 69% (the majority) of all illegal immigrants to the US are Mexican.
I doubt that....South American perhaps.

Still, it's not their fault for wanting a better life when employers in the US are so willing to abuse them and so many other people are willing to turn a blind eye for the sake of cheap goods.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

Chris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bob

Still, it's not their fault for wanting a better life when employers in the US are so willing to abuse them and so many other people are willing to turn a blind eye for the sake of cheap goods.
Agreed... I often wonder how many of the people that complain about the illegals would be tempted to do the same thing if they lived in such poor conditions and had less options to improve their quality of life
Old Aug 18th 2010, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Zonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I doubt that....South American perhaps.

This from 2003 shows 69%.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/01/31/illegal.immigration/

I found a more up to date 2009 figure of 62%.

http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/s...ll_pe_2009.pdf

You are correct, until they punish the employers the abuse will continue.

Last edited by Zonie; Aug 18th 2010 at 10:17 pm. Reason: Fixed link.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 9:48 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
someone posted this a few days ago I think, seems appropriate...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=5FFRoYhTJQQ

F**king stoopid Scots, any self respecting Yank would've said "Ten" and climbed one flight of stairs.

Originally Posted by Zonie
then 30% or so must be the damn Canucks...I tell'ya Minnesota needs to pass the Arizona Immigration bill too! If the say "eh", "aboot" or talk about Hockey, deport the bastards!!

Last edited by ironporer; Aug 18th 2010 at 10:15 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer
F**king stoopid Scots, any self respecting Yank would've said "Ten" and climed one flight of stairs.

Like this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P15AIKEMw4&NR=1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.