Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

When 'friends' come to stay!

When 'friends' come to stay!

Old Jun 27th 2010, 3:45 am
Forum Regular

EnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud of
Default Re: When 'friends' come to stay!

I guess I'm pretty lucky! My Mum and Dad come over and my Mum literally asks me to make a list of stuff and she'll go shopping for me (this includes clothes from stores I miss over there, which I choose online, sometimes! This came about because she would buy me clothes anyway, but she is in total denial and believes she has a thin daughter - I am a size 16-18 and she is a size 'Mum? Where are you? Slipped through a crack again?' - so nothing she brought over would fit me, except perhaps as a hat!)

They are pretty creative - last time they stuffed packet suaces, casserole mixes, stuff like that into every corner of the luggage...lol,,,,and ALWAYS some marmite and big bars of Galaxy.

Also when they come they like to go out to eat, but know we can't afford it, and they pay for all sorts. They also do grocery shopping before they leave and fill up my freezer.

What a spoilt brat, eh? I lived at home up to the point where I got married and came over, so I think they actually sort of enjoy doing all that again, in a way.

I need to start on my list, they are coming in September!

Also my best friend buys Doctor Who mags for me and sends them with my parents! (That is $8.99 here so I never buy it...not paying that for a magazine, despite my Whovian geekery!)

Ruth
Old Jun 27th 2010, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of light

Tracy - I feel for you. I know it was an awful visit but wow still blows my mind how some people (who you thought would act very differently) can be so rude!

My best-friend and her boyfriend recently came to visit us. We have been lucky/clever/sensible/cold-hearted enough to move into a house that is big enough for us but not for guests to stay. They stayed about 25 mins away in a lovely lakeside lodge and had their own car. They travelled up to see Niagara Falls for a couple of days and my DH commented how nice it was for us to have a break. I reminded him that at least we couldn't have anyone stay with us. We did spend A LOT of money though.

When they arrived we went to the grocery store and although most of the shopping was theirs, I paid for it. I did get a bit of money back eventually. It was funny how both my mate and her fella looked at each other a bit dumbfounded when they both realized they didn't have enough cash and so (because I'm too nice/soft/demented) I handed over my card instead. We treated them to a few meals and then my DH started asking for half the bill. They ate with us for most of the two weeks they were here and we made sure we ate lots of their food when they did a BBQ.

It was lovely to see my friend and I was sad to see her leave but it can be difficult having visitors.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 1:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EnglishTeaDuck
I guess I'm pretty lucky! My Mum and Dad come over and my Mum literally asks me to make a list of stuff and she'll go shopping for me (this includes clothes from stores I miss over there, which I choose online, sometimes! This came about because she would buy me clothes anyway, but she is in total denial and believes she has a thin daughter - I am a size 16-18 and she is a size 'Mum? Where are you? Slipped through a crack again?' - so nothing she brought over would fit me, except perhaps as a hat!)

They are pretty creative - last time they stuffed packet suaces, casserole mixes, stuff like that into every corner of the luggage...lol,,,,and ALWAYS some marmite and big bars of Galaxy.

Also when they come they like to go out to eat, but know we can't afford it, and they pay for all sorts. They also do grocery shopping before they leave and fill up my freezer.

What a spoilt brat, eh? I lived at home up to the point where I got married and came over, so I think they actually sort of enjoy doing all that again, in a way.

I need to start on my list, they are coming in September!

Also my best friend buys Doctor Who mags for me and sends them with my parents! (That is $8.99 here so I never buy it...not paying that for a magazine, despite my Whovian geekery!)

Ruth
Have they ever fancied visiting South Carolina?
Old Jun 28th 2010, 2:02 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
I can't believe everyone has missed the obvious.

Tell her you think it's time the two of you had sex together and you're really looking forward to the next time she comes to stay.
Keep me out of your sordid fantasy life.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 2:47 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Keep me out of your sordid fantasy life.
Does that mean me as well?
Old Jun 28th 2010, 3:06 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof
Does that mean me as well?
That all depends.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 3:12 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

That all depends.
Depends on what?
Old Jun 28th 2010, 3:31 pm
WTF?

Depends on what?
It depends on if I like your fantasies or not.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 3:45 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on if I like your fantasies or not.
Are there any allergies to latex, peanuts or shrimp?
Old Jun 28th 2010, 4:03 pm
I love my brick!

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Are there any allergies to latex, peanuts or shrimp?
How the hell do you know about the shrimp??!!
Old Jun 28th 2010, 4:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

How the hell do you know about the shrimp??!!
Is that what you've named it?
Old Jun 28th 2010, 4:48 pm
I love my brick!

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Is that what you've named it?
Excuse me! It has a name, Cyril the Shrimp. Here's a picture for you.
Attached Thumbnails When 'friends' come to stay!-971448-durban-dancing-shrimp-1.jpg  
Old Jun 28th 2010, 5:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

awwww bless.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 5:37 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
awwww bless.
Sam the Bee in the Bee Box is the one who mentioned it to me. I was a bit sceptical at first since he got the info from Nicholas the Mite, and........... well you know how trustworthy that little basterd is.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 6:09 pm
WTF?

I would.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.