Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

When do we expect Trump to lift the travel ban against UK?

When do we expect Trump to lift the travel ban against UK?

Old Apr 17th 2020, 4:06 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When do we expect Trump to lift the travel ban against UK?

Originally Posted by andyrebell
But America the country that lectures the world on how to live would never recover in the eyes of the world from a position of herd immunity and mass death for protection of the economic situation not unless all countries had done the same thing and let the virus do it's worst which very few are even Russia. And Russia is country that really can't afford this in terms of how they function. Sweden will have blood on it's hands when all this is finished.
A good number of Americans wouldn't give a fig about that. American Exceptionalism is not exactly a rare bird in these parts you know. You seem to think that 'America' cares about the rest of the world.

Generally speaking, not so much. Certainly not Trumps base.
Old Apr 17th 2020, 4:07 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Not too many nasty side effects with Lemsip, though
I don't know, I can't get that nasty taste out of my mouth for hours. That's a side affect.
Old Apr 17th 2020, 4:09 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyrebell
I love watching american tv because you get the adverts for drug and they list the side effects including death in some cases. They list those verbally because people won't read it.
That's the only reason they do list it, it's just what's contained in the information sheet you get with your drugs when you pick them up. It's more a CYA tactic than 'this will kill you', but it's still funny if you're not used to it.

Again, totally apropos of nothing, Pulaski's post just put me in mind of it.
Old Apr 17th 2020, 4:10 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
I don't know, I can't get that nasty taste out of my mouth for hours. That's a side affect.
Never thought about that.
Old Apr 17th 2020, 4:37 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Why not make your feelings known to the US Government that you wish to come to the US to vacation and spend money. I'm sure that they would be more than willing to help you cross into the US from Canada for your self-important reason.
Wow, let's all make assumptions shall we? Not everyone travels for vacation. I would be travelling to give a number of local tradesmen work and support the local economy. If I could find a way to remotely give them access to the work I would but unfortunately it's not an option.
Old Apr 17th 2020, 4:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cxx
Wow, let's all make assumptions shall we? Not everyone travels for vacation. I would be travelling to give a number of local tradesmen work and support the local economy. If I could find a way to remotely give them access to the work I would but unfortunately it's not an option.
so the only reason you wish to travel across the border into the US is to support the local economy through giving tradesmen work? I’m sorry but that’s hard to believe. If you are so concerned why not make a donation to the companies concerned? That’s a win win situation surely. The companies gain financially, you are not risking infecting Americans, and it makes you feel good for making such a kind gesture. Simples.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Apr 17th 2020 at 4:50 pm.
Old Apr 17th 2020, 4:53 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cxx
Wow, let's all make assumptions shall we? Not everyone travels for vacation. I would be travelling to give a number of local tradesmen work and support the local economy. ....
Nope, you are traveling to further the business interests of yourself or to earn your pay. You are no more traveling "to give a number of local tradesmen work and support the local economy" than I buy groceries to support food manufacturers and farmers!
Old Apr 17th 2020, 4:56 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Nope, you are traveling to further the business interests of yourself or to earn your pay. You are no more traveling "to give a number of local tradesmen work and support the local economy" than I buy groceries to support food manufacturers and farmers!
That being said, I do feel like the couple of times a week we buy takeout, it's in some small way helping the kitchen staff keep working and getting paid, so I at least feel good about that, even if it's only superficial. I'll take what I can get these days
Old Apr 17th 2020, 5:03 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
so the only reason you wish to travel across the border into the US is to support the local economy through giving tradesmen work? I’m sorry but that’s hard to believe. If you are so concerned why not make a donation to the companies concerned? That’s a win win situation surely. The companies gain financially, you are not risking infecting Americans, and it makes you feel good for making such a kind gesture. Simples.
Why on earth is it hard to believe???? We have a cottage, it needs a lot of work, and there are local guys who want to work. I know a lot of second home owners fill their cars with stuff from their home towns, but I don't. Under normal circumstances when I visit I buy everything local to the cottage. I already support a number of local charities in that area and continue to do so remotely but I'm not about to start calling up plumbers, electricians, etc. and giving them $$$s.
Old Apr 17th 2020, 5:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cxx
Why on earth is it hard to believe???? We have a cottage, it needs a lot of work, and there are local guys who want to work. I know a lot of second home owners .....
Er, that sounds a lot closer to a "vacation" than "traveling for business or employment", or is your business renovating residential property?

​​​​​ Unless the roof is in danger of caving in, or the windows and doors are rotted to the point where they are in danger of falling out, you don't actually need to travel to your second home.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 17th 2020 at 5:10 pm.
Old Apr 17th 2020, 5:08 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

So how do I further my business interests or earn my pay when I am looking to employ local guys to do work on a cottage?????
Old Apr 17th 2020, 5:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cxx
Why on earth is it hard to believe???? We have a cottage, it needs a lot of work, and there are local guys who want to work. I know a lot of second home owners fill their cars with stuff from their home towns, but I don't. Under normal circumstances when I visit I buy everything local to the cottage. I already support a number of local charities in that area and continue to do so remotely but I'm not about to start calling up plumbers, electricians, etc. and giving them $$$s.
***Newsflash*** It doesn’t matter what you want...the US doesn’t want you. 30 days to wait isn’t the end of the world. Of course that maybe extended.
Old Apr 17th 2020, 5:11 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

Er, that sounds a lot closer to a "vacation" than "traveling for business or employment", or is your business renovating residential property?
So you spend your vacations getting tradesmen to quote for work do you?? and no, definitely not a property developer.
Old Apr 17th 2020, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by cxx
So how do I further my business interests or earn my pay when I am looking to employ local guys to do work on a cottage?????
Revenue - costs = profit.
Old Apr 17th 2020, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by cxx
So you spend your vacations getting tradesmen to quote for work do you?? ....
People are free to do whatever they like on vacation, that's what a vacation is.

That said, you are splitting hairs - you're not traveling for your employer, aren't in business renovating properties, and appear to be, piecing together what you have said, working on renovating a holiday cottage for yourself. So while you might not technically be "on vacation" you are apparently traveling in your own time, for an activity that isn't profit/revenue generating, and is ultimately for your own personal pleasure. .... But that isn't "a vacation".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.