Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

When do we expect Trump to lift the travel ban against UK?

When do we expect Trump to lift the travel ban against UK?

Old Apr 17th 2020, 2:12 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When do we expect Trump to lift the travel ban against UK?

Originally Posted by markonline1
For the record, I fully support vaccination, but I do t think I’ll be rushing out to get this one. Whereas I don’t see people turning into zombies, I don’t think I’d be too happy putting a rushed vaccine into my body. That being said, this vaccine can’t come soon enough LOL.
This is a weird one, isn't it? Potentially damned if you do, potentially damned if you don't.

Now if they are able to rush it because they had removed some red tape to make the clinical trials just as rigorous as normal but on a tighter timeline, that'd be dope.
Old Apr 17th 2020, 2:25 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Of course the xombies is a rather extreme example, and I agree with vaccination also, but the point is made and I do hope that modicum of common sense will be attached to the production of a vaccine. Slightly longer and slightly safer is better than slightly shorter and slightly less safe.

I hate to echo Trump, but we must avoid the cure being worse than the disease.
Old Apr 17th 2020, 2:39 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cxx
I'm happy for Canada to keep it's borders closed as long as the US opens it's borders.

Why not make your feelings known to the US Government that you wish to come to the US to vacation and spend money. I'm sure that they would be more than willing to help you cross into the US from Canada for your self-important reason.
Old Apr 17th 2020, 2:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cxx
I'm happy for Canada to keep it's borders closed as long as the US opens it's borders.
well that’s not gonna happen anytime soon. US/Canada border closed for a further 30 days.
Old Apr 17th 2020, 3:55 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyrebell
The first one with a vaccine that works however well they need it to work will be printing their own money.
Probably not - pharmaceuticals are heavily regulated in most countries, and so selling them is subject to legal restrictions. .... Aren't you aware of the epi-pen (anti-anaphylatic shock treatment) debacle a few years ago, that led to such an uproar that for the past couple of years the manufacturer has been giving epi-pens away? Oh, maybe they didn't cover that in the Daily Express.
Old Apr 17th 2020, 3:56 pm
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Of course the xombies is a rather extreme example, and I agree with vaccination also, but the point is made and I do hope that modicum of common sense will be attached to the production of a vaccine. Slightly longer and slightly safer is better than slightly shorter and slightly less safe.

I hate to echo Trump, but we must avoid the cure being worse than the disease.
So you think Trump should be doing so-called herd immunity with self isolation of the over 70s as in Sweden is doing and keep the economy going?

Even though his only facing Joe Biden a man who would have managed this michelobvirus outbreak so much better. It would be more than trump would dare do. The herd immunity/self isolation would likely lead to hundreds of thousands of american deaths many of whom would be black the science says. Even trump who can do no wrong in the eyes of supporters wouldn't come back from that. He would be impeached and America the most hated country in the world for the human rights record especially if the race card came out.

All that being said we do need this vaccine asap and pray it does what we want it to do because no country can afford a second long term lockdown.
Old Apr 17th 2020, 3:59 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think Trump has the desire to do F-all, to be frank. He'd rather be off playing golf.

The rest of us are left to deal with this, the Governors are the ones in charge.

I'm not even going to comment on that race stuff you just mentioned. All I'm saying is that the vaccine needs to be both quick as possible and safe. We don't need to short circuit the process.
Old Apr 17th 2020, 3:59 pm
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Probably not - pharmaceuticals are heavily regulated in most countries, and so selling them is subject to legal restrictions. .... Aren't you aware of the epi-pen (anti-anaphylatic shock treatment) debacle a few years ago, that led to such an uproar that for the past couple of years the manufacturer has been giving epi-pens away? Oh, maybe they didn't cover that in the Daily Express.
As maybe but once we have a vaccine and it can be distributed worldwide surely there is no need for a competing vaccine so that first place company even if the price is capped will still be the winners and win big.
Old Apr 17th 2020, 4:00 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I'm concerned about the potential ramifications of a vaccine that is rushed out with abbreviated clinical trials. Anyone seen 'I Am Legend'??
Is nobody aware of the ratio of experimental pharmaceuticals to drugs that are actually approved for use?
For every 5,000 potential drugs that are identified, only 5 make it into clinical trials, and only one is ultimately approved. .... And over the years there have still been a number of approved drugs approved that have horrific side effects and are ultimately withdrawn from the market, not to mention the drugs that have a significant risk of side effects that aren't withdrawn from the market.
Old Apr 17th 2020, 4:02 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Is nobody aware of the ratio of experimental pharmaceuticals to drugs that are actually approved for use? For ever 5,000 potential drugs that are identified, only 5 make it into clinical trials, and only one is ultimately approved. .... And over the years there have still been a number of drugs approved that have horrific side effects and are ultimately withdrawn from the market, not to mention the drugs that have a significant risk of side effects that aren't withdrawn from the market.
Then there's the ones who actually pass the trials and are approved, but they still have a list of side effects that take more than half the advert to list

I know that's only because they have to list every single one that was observed even if it only affects one person but still, even my daughter's making jokes about it when she hears them.
Old Apr 17th 2020, 4:04 pm
Banned

I don't think Trump has the desire to do F-all, to be frank. He'd rather be off playing golf.

The rest of us are left to deal with this, the Governors are the ones in charge.

I'm not even going to comment on that race stuff you just mentioned. All I'm saying is that the vaccine needs to be both quick as possible and safe. We don't need to short circuit the process.
But America the country that lectures the world on how to live would never recover in the eyes of the world from a position of herd immunity and mass death for protection of the economic situation not unless all countries had done the same thing and let the virus do it's worst which very few are even Russia. And Russia is country that really can't afford this in terms of how they function. Sweden will have blood on it's hands when all this is finished.

Originally Posted by andyrebell
As maybe but once we have a vaccine and it can be distributed worldwide surely there is no need for a competing vaccine ....
Add "vaccines" to the list of things you aren't an expert on - there are often different brands and formulations of vaccines, and certainly several/ multiple manufacturers around the world.
Often not so civil...

even my daughter's making jokes about it when she hears them.
My wife and I do the same thing. I don't think I'll ever get used to hearing commercials for drugs on TV. Just doesn't happen back home (other than OTC, of course)
Old Apr 17th 2020, 4:05 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Then there's the ones who actually pass the trials and are approved, but they still have a list of side effects that take more than half the advert to list

I know that's only because they have to list every single one that was observed even if it only affects one person but still, even my daughter's making jokes about it when she hears them.
I love watching american tv because you get the adverts for drug and they list the side effects including death in some cases. They list those verbally because people won't read it.
Old Apr 17th 2020, 4:06 pm
I have a comma problem

My wife and I do the same thing. I don't think I'll ever get used to hearing commercials for drugs on TV. Just doesn't happen back home (other than OTC, of course)
Not too many nasty side effects with Lemsip, though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.