Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

When do we expect Trump to lift the travel ban against UK?

When do we expect Trump to lift the travel ban against UK?

Old May 7th 2020, 2:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When do we expect Trump to lift the travel ban against UK?

Originally Posted by andyrebell
So how will people in America get it then? The insurance will cover it as you say but how will they get the injection? And don't say in the arm!
Will they get it at work, at the drug store, at the american equivalent of a GP surgery, the emergency room?

Lets for the sake of argument that on Feb 1st 2021 they have 330 million doses. How long would it be before you got yours?
it will be done like any other vaccine but those without insurance (the existence of Medicaid and Obamacare hasn't solved this) may end up not vaccinated.

some workplaces or school may make it a requirement to get
Old May 7th 2020, 2:56 pm
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Even if the medical staff get the vaccine first, there will still be a need to keep vaccinated and unvaccinated people separate at those locations, and also in the wider world during rollout. Social distancing will need to be observed until everyone has received a vaccination. Otherwise, there is no point vaccinating at all.

How long do you actually think it will take to vaccinate double-triple digit millions of people? Do you really think that can be done in a few days?
How do you keep them separate at those locations? The medical staff who have been vaccinated are vaccinating the un-vaccinated people? Calling them forward and given them the injection? Are you saying people need to be tested before getting the vaccine and infected? That will take years not we don't have anything like that testing ability not even close. And besides IF you have the virus and you get the vaccine won't the vaccine fight off the virus that you have? Or do I not understand how it works?

Yes I actually do think you can vaccinate the countless masses in the UK in 3 waves, first responders, children in schools then adult on mass at so called polling station locations. If you are willing to work from a standpoint of get the 66 million vaccines first then invite to people to thousands of locations to receive it and staff the locations with medical personnel as needed and there are thousands of medical personnel you can call upon. Logistically tough but you can do it. Is that not more effective than inviting people in groups over weeks or months?
Old May 7th 2020, 3:12 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

How do you keep them separate at those locations?
Social distancing. Jesus Christ.

The medical staff who have been vaccinated are vaccinating the un-vaccinated people? Calling them forward and given them the injection? Are you saying people need to be tested before getting the vaccine and infected? That will take years not we don't have anything like that testing ability not even close. And besides IF you have the virus and you get the vaccine won't the vaccine fight off the virus that you have?
No, I am saying social distancing will need to be observed until everyone is vaccinated, and the fact that it will need to be observed during the administration of vaccines is just another reason why the process will take months to roll out.

Or do I not understand how it works?
Please don't make me answer this.

Yes I actually do think you can vaccinate the countless masses in the UK in 3 waves, first responders, children in schools then adult on mass at so called polling station locations. If you are willing to work from a standpoint of get the 66 million vaccines first then invite to people to thousands of locations to receive it and staff the locations with medical personnel as needed and there are thousands of medical personnel you can call upon. Logistically tough but you can do it. Is that not more effective than inviting people in groups over weeks or months?
How long does it take to administer a vaccine? Let's say for the sake of argument (and ignoring paperwork and everything else peripheral) that it takes 30 seconds. You are now talking about 33 million minutes, just for the act of sticking in a needle, pushing the plunger and putting on the band-aid, and that is generous. Do you know how many minutes there are in a year? You might have heard the song - there are 525,600 minutes in a year, so in my very generous 30 second vax scenario, you are taking about 62 YEARS worth of minutes. So in order to get this done in let's say 3 days (4,320 minutes), you would need to have 7,369 people working simultaneously and non-stop for 72 hours (assuming I did the math right). And who vaccinates them beforehand? This is all just in the UK, mind you, not even 1% of the global population.

Six months, minimum. That is how long vaccine rollout will take AFTER production is finished. If it is faster than that, I will die of shock.
Old May 7th 2020, 3:12 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant

For those that are not working or that don't have health insurance, somewhere like Walmart will do immunizations the same way they do Flu vaccines, for a fee.

I can assure you that no one, literally no one, will be getting it at a 'polling station'
Just to add, even for those with good insurance, the local drugstore or Walmart etc. is a good option. My drugstore (pharmacy) has my insurance details in their records, so it’s the best place for me to get my ‘flu shot.

Old May 7th 2020, 3:20 pm
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
For the majority of people, their employer will possibly arrange a visit from some sort of health professional that will do everyone in one day.

Working in the healthcare setting, we will have it administered all at once by our staff nurse.

Those that have health insurance can get it from their PCP.

For those that are not working or that don't have health insurance, somewhere like Walmart will do immunizations the same way they do Flu vaccines, for a fee.

I can assure you that no one, literally no one, will be getting it at a 'polling station'
What will the turnaround time be to get the health professional to come to an office, a week a month?

If we do not do vaccination on mass all at once in the UK it will happen like this. Medical front line people first. Then the at risk groups then everyone else. And to my knowledge you can only get the vaccine jab the doctor surgery or at a hospital unless the government taxes locations like schools and town halls because of their size. I live with at risk person so we might be pretty quick to get it. Others may have to wait months perhaps we don't know. I am sure nurses will go round schools doing it though I don't think any workplace visit will be done.
Old May 7th 2020, 3:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

What will the turnaround time be to get the health professional to come to an office, a week a month?

If we do not do vaccination on mass all at once in the UK it will happen like this. Medical front line people first. Then the at risk groups then everyone else. And to my knowledge you can only get the vaccine jab the doctor surgery or at a hospital unless the government taxes locations like schools and town halls because of their size. I live with at risk person so we might be pretty quick to get it. Others may have to wait months perhaps we don't know. I am sure nurses will go round schools doing it though I don't think any workplace visit will be done.
I had all my childhood vaccinations done at school. Apart from the baby vacs, so did my daughter.
Old May 7th 2020, 3:57 pm
Banned

Social distancing. Jesus Christ.

No, I am saying social distancing will need to be observed until everyone is vaccinated, and the fact that it will need to be observed during the administration of vaccines is just another reason why the process will take months to roll out.

Please don't make me answer this.

How long does it take to administer a vaccine? Let's say for the sake of argument (and ignoring paperwork and everything else peripheral) that it takes 30 seconds. You are now talking about 33 million minutes, just for the act of sticking in a needle, pushing the plunger and putting on the band-aid, and that is generous. Do you know how many minutes there are in a year? You might have heard the song - there are 525,600 minutes in a year, so in my very generous 30 second vax scenario, you are taking about 62 YEARS worth of minutes. So in order to get this done in let's say 3 days (4,320 minutes), you would need to have 7,369 people working simultaneously and non-stop for 72 hours (assuming I did the math right). And who vaccinates them beforehand? This is all just in the UK, mind you, not even 1% of the global population.

Six months, minimum. That is how long vaccine rollout will take AFTER production is finished. If it is faster than that, I will die of shock.
They medical staff vaccinate each other I suppose. It will take decades not years if social distancing is observed in UK and there will chaos in UK if it takes that long. Europe will do it's own thing. Africa will need UN and UNCEF and all that thing.

There 500,000 nurses working in the UK in all settings I think and 54,000 doctors working in general practice in the UK not mention doctors in hospital or surgical setting an unknown number or final year medical students more than qualified to help out another unknown number. You just could have just have the 54000 GP's do it over 18 hours by your math but no one expects them to work 18 hours. They will likely suspend all GP practice, and none urgent medical procedures you can probably get at least 50,000 nurses and the 54,000 GP doctors. That is 104,000 at least right there so your 72 hour figure now becomes what 14 hour shifts and polling stations on election run 16 hours.? 14 hours on double time of course.
Old May 7th 2020, 3:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

...... I live with at risk person so we might be pretty quick to get it. .....
Perhaps you don't realize, but one of many ways that the vaccines currently being developed and tested could be found to be inadequate, is that people who have compromised immunity, including the elderly (meaning progressively anyone older than about 50), may not develope adequate immunity as a result of the vaccine. Therefore just becuase a vaccine works for a monkey, and a healthy 30 year old, it doesn't mean it will provide protection for a 60+ year old. So those with a compromised imune system, including the elderly may end up waiting for a more effective vaccine to be developed, or be stuck long term, with a need for masks, enhanced hygiene procedures, and SD'ing.
Old May 7th 2020, 4:05 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Perhaps you don't realize, but one of many ways that the vaccines currently being developed and tested could be found to be inadequate, is that people who have compromised immunity, including the elderly (meaning progressively anyone older than about 50), may not develope adequate immunity as a result of the vaccine. Therefore just becuase a vaccine works for a monkey, and a healthy 30 year old, it doesn't mean it will provide protection for a 60+ year old. So those with a compromised imune system, including the elderly may end up waiting for a more effective vaccine to be developed, or be stuck long term, with a need for masks, enhanced hygiene procedures, and SD'ing.
As maybe but lets assume it does what we need it to do. Lets be have some hope here. One of them or 2 will probably work from all that are developed and all that are being developed number about 100 I think.
Old May 7th 2020, 4:44 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I had all my childhood vaccinations done at school. Apart from the baby vacs, so did my daughter.
Me too I remember the TB was the one with the blue circular stamp like a two pence onto your wrist like a or was that tetanus?
Old May 7th 2020, 5:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Me too I remember the TB was the one with the blue circular stamp like a two pence onto your wrist like a or was that tetanus?
that was TB. If you reacted to the wrist test, you had no immunity and had the TB injection a few weeks later. Still got the scar, top of my left arm. The injection site was quite painful for several weeks, mine came up like a large boil.
Old May 7th 2020, 5:14 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

They medical staff vaccinate each other I suppose. It will take decades not years if social distancing is observed in UK and there will chaos in UK if it takes that long. Europe will do it's own thing. Africa will need UN and UNCEF and all that thing.
All social distancing means is staying 6' apart from each other, preferably while wearing a mask. It adds time to the proceedings but not decades. But social distancing in and of itself isn't a bad thing anyway, it should be done more during flu season, and whatever part of the year becomes COVID season, because this disease will be endemic when all's said and done, same as with SARS.

Of course, mortality rates will go down to a fraction of a percent as well, but these are all good practices anyway.

There 500,000 nurses working in the UK in all settings I think and 54,000 doctors working in general practice in the UK not mention doctors in hospital or surgical setting an unknown number or final year medical students more than qualified to help out another unknown number. You just could have just have the 54000 GP's do it over 18 hours by your math but no one expects them to work 18 hours. They will likely suspend all GP practice, and none urgent medical procedures you can probably get at least 50,000 nurses and the 54,000 GP doctors. That is 104,000 at least right there so your 72 hour figure now becomes what 14 hour shifts and polling stations on election run 16 hours.? 14 hours on double time of course.
With respect, will you shut up about polling stations? Not everyone who needs the vaccine is eligible to vote, the numbers don't compare. There is also a marked difference between showing up and marking a bit of paper, and coordinating a clinical procedure for upwards of 50 million people.

Don't forget my 30 seconds was generous. Add in the time for all the peripheral things like paperwork, finding a vein, a person not wearing short sleeves and not ready with their arm out, you can easily get to 5 minutes per person so now our timescale has increased by a factor of 10. Also, you're expecting this to run like clockwork, have you ever experienced how things move at the speed of bureaucracy? Look at how slowly local authorities deal with trivial matters, your optimism is bordering on certifiable if you really think this can be done (and by done I mean everyone who needs the vax is vaxxed) in just the UK, let alone worldwide, any time before end of year 2021.

Look, I get it if you're worried about the situation - we all are, but deluding yourself that this is all going to be over this time next year won't help at all.
Old May 7th 2020, 5:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

that was TB. If you reacted to the wrist test, you had no immunity and had the TB injection a few weeks later. Still got the scar, top of my left arm. The injection site was quite painful for several weeks, mine came up like a large boil.
With the added annoyance that that BCG vaccine for TB caused many people to test falsely positive for TB from that point on.

And to bring it back to covid, that vaccine is being looked at to see whether it provides any immunity to covid:

https://www.the-scientist.com/news-o...s-trials-67504

Old May 7th 2020, 5:44 pm
Banned

Must have been the same for me then. I don't know if mine reacted or not as you say. I had the stamp punch thing on my arm hurt like hell. Then I had an injection a few weeks later but I can only remember having the one injection to the arm and of course all the kids where hitting each other on it on the bus. But I would have sworn that until you said what you just did that that injection was for Tetanus. You have got me thinking now. I have had tetanus jab as kid but I only ever remember the one injection and that stamp puncher.
Old May 7th 2020, 6:00 pm
Banned

All social distancing means is staying 6' apart from each other, preferably while wearing a mask. It adds time to the proceedings but not decades. But social distancing in and of itself isn't a bad thing anyway, it should be done more during flu season, and whatever part of the year becomes COVID season, because this disease will be endemic when all's said and done, same as with SARS.

Of course, mortality rates will go down to a fraction of a percent as well, but these are all good practices anyway.

With respect, will you shut up about polling stations? Not everyone who needs the vaccine is eligible to vote, the numbers don't compare. There is also a marked difference between showing up and marking a bit of paper, and coordinating a clinical procedure for upwards of 50 million people.

Don't forget my 30 seconds was generous. Add in the time for all the peripheral things like paperwork, finding a vein, a person not wearing short sleeves and not ready with their arm out, you can easily get to 5 minutes per person so now our timescale has increased by a factor of 10. Also, you're expecting this to run like clockwork, have you ever experienced how things move at the speed of bureaucracy? Look at how slowly local authorities deal with trivial matters, your optimism is bordering on certifiable if you really think this can be done (and by done I mean everyone who needs the vax is vaxxed) in just the UK, let alone worldwide, any time before end of year 2021.

Look, I get it if you're worried about the situation - we all are, but deluding yourself that this is all going to be over this time next year won't help at all.
Polling stations nothing to do with voting in this circumstances it is just that on election day millions of people pass through them in one day casting their ballot. They are only polling stations once every 2 or 5 years and schools and libraries and community centres etc etc the rest of the time. So why can't we vaccinate people on mass in the same locations as people go to vote. Some of these are very large they could hold dozens of medical staff and see a lot of people even with social distancing. The main hall from my secondary could probably host 15 nurses or doctors even with social distancing. My GP has 1 nurse maybe 2 and like 4 doctors in their offices by themselves and seating for like 12 people with social distancing 25 without maybe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.