Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

When do we expect Trump to lift the travel ban against UK?

When do we expect Trump to lift the travel ban against UK?

Old Apr 15th 2020, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When do we expect Trump to lift the travel ban against UK?

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Man, you couldn't pay me to walk into an airport right now, let alone get on a plane
Ha. I walk into an airport every day. We are deep cleaning every couple of days. I feel safer at my airport than I do at the local grocery store.
Old Apr 15th 2020, 7:36 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
WillQ is heading home in the first week of May, when I booked the flight 2 weeks ago United were still listing 6 flights a day from Heathrow to Newark. He might yet end up quarantined in a tent in the garden for 2 weeks, but he doesn't know that yet
I’m thinking of booking something similar, Heathrow to Boston in a few weeks time. Hopefully my daughter could pick me up and I’d quarantine at her house for two weeks. I think one of the local car hire companies here at Norwich airport would drive me to Heathrow (I usually take bus - train - tube to get to LHR.)

Do you think these journeys are feasible & practical? My other option obviously is to stay in place here in Norfolk for - however long ..
Old Apr 15th 2020, 9:53 am
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I didn't realize that the travel across states in the US was closed to air traffic? How did I miss this news?
I thought with all these lockdowns in new york and LA etc you couldn't really fly anywhere. I have been pics of south west airlines planes lined up on the tarmac?
Old Apr 15th 2020, 10:03 am
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute

If and when the borders do reopen would foreign travellers be required to quarantine/self isolate for a period of x time after arrival do you think? Or would it be like it was a year ago just get off the plane and go about your business. I ask because we have a cruise booked in September for Alaska with visit to San Fran afterwards. Final payment date due very early may. The travel ban is still in effect and the cruise has not yet been cancelled by the line. A quarantine period would not be good for our travel plans so there would no point to us going or paying the final money if that was the case.

UK cruise agencies are taking bookings for U.S.A based cruises sailing in September even late August and later in the year after that. This is despite the ban still being in effect with no indication of when it will be lifted. Which I think is very bad form maybe even something close to a fraud situation though that might be the wrong word to use. Unless these guys know something the rest of us don't.

Last edited by andyrebell; Apr 15th 2020 at 10:06 am.
Old Apr 15th 2020, 10:08 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat096 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by andyrebell
If and when the borders do reopen would foreign travellers be required to quarantine/self isolate for a period of x time after arrival do you think? Or would it be like it was a year ago just get off the plane and go about your business. I ask because we have a cruise booked in September for Alaska with visit to San Fran final payment date due very early may. The travel ban is still in effect and the cruise has not yet been cancelled by the line. A quarantine period would not be appropriate for our travel plans so there would no point to us going or paying the money if that was the case.

UK cruise agencies are taking bookings for U.S.A based cruises sailing in September even late August and later in the year after that. This is despite the ban still being in effect with no indication of when it will be lifted. Which I think is very bad form maybe even something close to a fraud situation though that might be the wrong word to use. Unless these guys know something the rest of us don't.

Well these guys still need to run a business so they can't simply cease taking bookings forever.

If it was me I'd keep an eye on it, and revisit the situation in a couple weeks, maybe ask for more time to make the final payment would seem reasonable, if they refuse then I hope you have adequate travel insurance and if you still really want to go and risk losing money then go for it.
Old Apr 15th 2020, 12:00 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I have a beach vacation booked for the first week in October (booked since Jan 1) that we haven't cancelled but are very much playing by ear. I don't think anyone knows where we will be at any time in the near future.
Old Apr 15th 2020, 2:00 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
Ha. I walk into an airport every day. We are deep cleaning every couple of days. I feel safer at my airport than I do at the local grocery store.
It's not you guys I'm worried about, it's the general public who aren't exactly the cleanest bunch of people on a good day.

It's all academic anyway because we weren't planning any holidays for at least a year anyway, but still.
Old Apr 15th 2020, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

It's not you guys I'm worried about, it's the general public who aren't exactly the cleanest bunch of people on a good day.
Oh, I know. Personally, I think now is a great time to fly. It’s the closest I would get to being a 1%er, having a Boeing 737 all to myself LOL.
Old Apr 15th 2020, 3:35 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

He says he wants to reopen the country in a few weeks or even the end of the month? Does that reopening just mean within the USA or open the USA borders for tourism.

Geezus people ... I KNOW US domestic flight travel is not banned. But apparently Andyrebell does as per above. That's what I was responding to.
Old Apr 15th 2020, 4:39 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
Oh, I know. Personally, I think now is a great time to fly. It’s the closest I would get to being a 1%er, having a Boeing 737 all to myself LOL.
Having been lucky enough to be on a CRJ with only 8 people on it, I do agree that it is a great experience.

But like I said we have no planned trips anyway, and our next vacation was going to be a domestic one, within driving distance anyway so it won't really be something I come into direct contact with. That being said, I won't be taking a train into Chicago any time soon either.
Old Apr 15th 2020, 4:44 pm
Banned

Having been lucky enough to be on a CRJ with only 8 people on it, I do agree that it is a great experience.

But like I said we have no planned trips anyway, and our next vacation was going to be a domestic one, within driving distance anyway so it won't really be something I come into direct contact with. That being said, I won't be taking a train into Chicago any time soon either.
Steer clear of Chicago. You don't want to get lead poisoning. Bad that thing at the train station that kid has really wrecked his life. He had never been in trouble with the cops before either so sad.

Last edited by andyrebell; Apr 15th 2020 at 4:48 pm.
Old Apr 15th 2020, 4:46 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Rete
Geezus people ... I KNOW US domestic flight travel is not banned. But apparently Andyrebell does as per above. That's what I was responding to.
Well I didn't. I thought you couldn't fly with the lockdowns in place given that New York and LA and many other places are on lockdown similar to Italy or UK and people could only go out for essential reasons like getting food and so forth.
Old Apr 15th 2020, 4:55 pm
I have a comma problem

Steer clear of Chicago. You don't want to get lead poisoning. Bad that thing at the train station that kid has really wrecked his life. He had never been in trouble with the cops before either so sad.
I drive there once a month for inventory, on the south side. No issues at all other than all the other drivers trying to kill you, themselves, or everyone else. Chicago drivers are a trip.
Old Apr 15th 2020, 5:13 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I’m thinking of booking something similar, Heathrow to Boston in a few weeks time. Hopefully my daughter could pick me up and I’d quarantine at her house for two weeks. I think one of the local car hire companies here at Norwich airport would drive me to Heathrow (I usually take bus - train - tube to get to LHR.)

Do you think these journeys are feasible & practical? My other option obviously is to stay in place here in Norfolk for - however long ..
I don’t usually quote my own posts, but since I got no responses, does anyone have any thoughts on this? This is a really serious question for me.
Old Apr 15th 2020, 5:24 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I don’t usually quote my own posts, but since I got no responses, does anyone have any thoughts on this? This is a really serious question for me.
I think you could certainly do it (if you have PR or USC), but I wonder at the increased risk of infection undertaking that journey over sheltering in Norfolk for a longer period.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.