Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

When do we expect Trump to lift the travel ban against UK?

When do we expect Trump to lift the travel ban against UK?

Old May 5th 2020, 12:43 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When do we expect Trump to lift the travel ban against UK?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
there is absolutely no way I will stay in a hotel this year. I do not trust them to completely sanitize the room and I don’t want to sleep where maybe an infected person as slept. (They do not wash duvets after each guest). I will wait until I have had the vaccine.
I'm not suspending my life for this thing. I wear a mask, but that's as far as I am willing to go for something that is only 4% mortality.

Besides, I am almost somewhat sure I had it in February, before it.became widely known that it was in the US. I had severe bronchitis, pneumonia, fever and the MD could not explain what it was - just 'upper respiratory infection' Nearly everyone in the leadership team at work had it over the course of Jan and Feb, some more severe than others. This was before one could get a test. I certainly want an antibody test when they become reliable.
Old May 5th 2020, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
I'm not suspending my life for this thing. I wear a mask, but that's as far as I am willing to go for something that is only 4% mortality.

Besides, I am almost somewhat sure I had it in February, before it.became widely known that it was in the US. I had severe bronchitis, pneumonia, fever and the MD could not explain what it was - just 'upper respiratory infection' Nearly everyone in the leadership team at work had it over the course of Jan and Feb, some more severe than others. This was before one could get a test. I certainly want an antibody test when they become reliable.
So you don't care how many people catch it because of your cavalier attitude?

Nice.
Old May 5th 2020, 2:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant

Fair enough. I have a lung issue, which makes me prone to pneumonia, therefore I prefer to be ultra cautious.
Old May 5th 2020, 2:36 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

So you don't care how many people catch it because of your cavalier attitude?
Yes, because working in healthcare we are so cavalier.

Wearing a mask is the requirement, so that's what gets done, but no, I am not staying at home (being essential will do that for you) and I am still grocery shopping when I need to grocery shop. I will also still vacation in October given the opportunity to do so.

Do I, or should I, feel guilty about that? Not so much. I'm complying with my states orders.

Last edited by civilservant; May 5th 2020 at 2:39 pm.
Old May 5th 2020, 2:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyrebell
This oxford trial is going well apparently. After 28 days of exposure, vaccinated monkeys ARE NOT getting the Covid and it is practically being sprayed into their faces or injected into them from how it sounds. It probably isn't like that but they are being exposed to far higher concentrations of Covid than are in a society 5 weeks into a nationwide lockdown.

Human trials of this are maybe 7-10 days in gradually being increased from 2 people to 5 to 10 to however many over many weeks.
I am glad to see that you're keeping up with the latest developments, presumably by reading the well known scientific journal, the Daily Express.
Old May 5th 2020, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I am glad to see that you're keeping up with the latest developments, presumably by reading the well known scientific journal, the Daily Express.
Oxford University themselves say that they have begun phase I of human trials. (I can't speak for The Daily Mail).

Still a LONG way from success.

https://www.ovg.ox.ac.uk/news/oxford...an-trial-stage

University of Oxford researchers have begun testing a COVID-19 vaccine in human volunteers in Oxford today. Around 1,110 people will take part in the trial, half receiving the vaccine and the other half (the control group) receiving a widely available meningitis vaccine.
Old May 5th 2020, 3:54 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
..... Still a LONG way from success. ...
That's the bit that gets missed out from most mainstream media reports.

Even with an unprecedentedly fast vaccine development timeline there are going to be many months between "tests starting" and a vaccine being produced commercially.
Old May 5th 2020, 5:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Not looking good for Norwegian Cruise Lines...

https://markets.businessinsider.com/...0-5-1029166621

They have quite a big presence in the ports of New York and Miami
Old May 5th 2020, 5:22 pm

They're in the same boat as most airlines.
Old May 5th 2020, 5:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

They're in the same boat as most airlines.
worse IMO, Airline travel will bounce back much quicker than cruising.
Old May 5th 2020, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

Virgin Atlantic have closed all Gatwick operations and don't expect to return to pre-Covid capacity for 3 years.
Old May 5th 2020, 5:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

worse IMO, Airline travel will bounce back much quicker than cruising.
Hard to see ports rushing to accept cruise ships in the foreseeable future given the way that played out earlier in the year.
Old May 5th 2020, 5:42 pm

Worse IMO, Airline travel will bounce back much quicker than cruising.
True, the cruise lines would need to be refloated.
Old May 5th 2020, 7:07 pm
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute

https://markets.businessinsider.com/...0-5-1029166621

They have quite a big presence in the ports of New York and Miami
And I like NCL better than Cunard to be fair. It's my father who likes Cunard. But I am sure they will survive somehow.
Old May 5th 2020, 7:11 pm
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute

It was the NY Post the only one I can due to GDPR that said the monkeys seem to be immune after 28 days. We will know about this vaccine by end of July I think.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.