Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

When do we expect Trump to lift the travel ban against UK?

When do we expect Trump to lift the travel ban against UK?

Old Apr 26th 2020, 10:10 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When do we expect Trump to lift the travel ban against UK?

I am really, really hoping that I don't have any work trips come up once things are a little more relaxed. Other than that my highest risk journey will be driving to Newark in 10 days time to collect eldest son as he comes back from the UK and he will then be under quarantine for 2 weeks once he gets home.
Old Apr 27th 2020, 1:15 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
I am really, really hoping that I don't have any work trips come up once things are a little more relaxed. Other than that my highest risk journey will be driving to Newark in 10 days time to collect eldest son as he comes back from the UK and he will then be under quarantine for 2 weeks once he gets home.
Quick question, each country are doing things differently, how are you allowed to be the person collecting him? Shouldn't he be taken to a hotel to self isolate and not see you guys for the 14 days?
Old Apr 27th 2020, 3:20 am
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Quick question, each country are doing things differently, how are you allowed to be the person collecting him? Shouldn't he be taken to a hotel to self isolate and not see you guys for the 14 days?
As far as I can tell he has to stay at home and stay in for 14 days, again, he has had to do that already in Swansea after one of his friends had all the symptoms in mid-March. Since then he has been isolated on his own in his student house as most of the rest of the students went back to their UK homes, leaving a ghost campus.

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/03/17/...untries-europe
Old Apr 27th 2020, 3:41 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
As far as I can tell he has to stay at home and stay in for 14 days, again, he has had to do that already in Swansea after one of his friends had all the symptoms in mid-March. Since then he has been isolated on his own in his student house as most of the rest of the students went back to their UK homes, leaving a ghost campus.

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/03/17/...untries-europe
Fair enough. I would have thought that if he goes home with the family you would all then have to isolate for the 14 days or longer as well given they can't be certain someone else on the flight hadn't picked it up prior to flight. It would be much easier to understand if everyone had the exact same guudelines. 🙂 Be a big relief to get him home.
Old May 1st 2020, 11:14 am
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute

Why are cruise ship staff not being allowed to disembark do you think? When passengers have been offload days even weeks ago. There a few stories in the english media about brits trapped on ships and other nationalities too.
Old May 1st 2020, 2:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyrebell
Why are cruise ship staff not being allowed to disembark do you think? When passengers have been offload days even weeks ago. There a few stories in the english media about brits trapped on ships and other nationalities too.
They're not being allowed "into" a country that isn't their home, so a British citizen on a ship off the coast of Florida isn't being allowed into the US even to catch a flight to the UK. ..... Diplomatic strings are being pulled to try to fix the problem.
Old May 1st 2020, 2:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
They're not being allowed "into" a country that isn't their home, so a British citizen on a ship off the coast of Florida isn't being allowed into the US even to catch a flight to the UK. ..... Diplomatic strings are being pulled to try to fix the problem.
there are US citizens on board at least one ship near Miami. Some left the ship a while ago, but others are still on board but cannot leave.
Old May 1st 2020, 3:25 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
there are US citizens on board at least one ship near Miami. Some left the ship a while ago, but others are still on board but cannot leave.
Maybe they'll be allowed on-shore after 40 days?
Old May 1st 2020, 4:17 pm
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute

How is that legal I thought Americans had the absolute right of entry to the country?. After all the borders have not been closed to returning Americans by air.
Old May 1st 2020, 4:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

How is that legal I thought Americans had the absolute right of entry to the country?. After all the borders have not been closed to returning Americans by air.
they do...but they don’t have absolute right to disembark the ship...obviously.
Old May 1st 2020, 4:20 pm
Banned

Isn't there a risk they will overstay their visas? Any why not just deport them back home and be done with it?
Old May 1st 2020, 4:27 pm
Banned

they do...but they don’t have absolute right to disembark the ship...obviously.
Why not just stick them in all in a quarantine facility as was done with returning passengers off the diamond and grand princesses for example?. And who pays for all this? People on the ships, the company, the insurance carrier? And why don't they have the right to disembark as americans on a ship in Miami I don't understand? Aren't their rights being violated?

Last edited by andyrebell; May 1st 2020 at 4:46 pm.
Old May 1st 2020, 4:35 pm

Isn't there a risk they will overstay their visas? Any why not just deport them back home and be done with it?
"Over stay? Where? .... It is true that a crew member might have an issue if their C-1 and D visas expire, or they don't have those visas because they never expected to disembark in the US (though I suspect that it rather unlikely unless a crew member joined the ship in Europe or the Far East and expected to work only in those areas and then leave the ship in those areas to fly home), but their C-1 and D visas would have validity for the length of their contract with the ship owner, and as people are mostly having their service cut short, I suspect that there is a low likelihood of crew members facing expiry of their C-1 and D visas.

And I can't imagine any country would allow some one into the country, so that they can be deported, .... If someone is undesirable enough to be deported then you don't let them in in the first place!!! Which is precisely why I said above that "diplomatic strings are being pulled" to try to get people home.
Old May 1st 2020, 5:10 pm
Banned

"Over stay? Where? .... It is true that a crew member might have an issue if their C-1 and D visas expire, or they don't have those visas because they never expected to disembark in the US (though I suspect that it rather unlikely unless a crew member joined the ship in Europe or the Far East and expected to work only in those areas and then leave the ship in those areas to fly home), but their C-1 and D visas would have validity for the length of their contract with the ship owner, and as people are mostly having their service cut short, I suspect that there is a low likelihood of crew members facing expiry of their C-1 and D visas.

And I can't imagine any country would allow some one into the country, so that they can be deported, .... If someone is undesirable enough to be deported then you don't let them in in the first place!!! Which is precisely why I said above that "diplomatic strings are being pulled" to try to get people home.
Some of these guys might be approaching the end of the contracts most usually do a 6 or 8 month contract. How are the passport stamped if and when they enter the USA? T

They do the UK bound immigration onboard the QM2 when you go eastbound. The cruise me and jerseygirl were on together back in start of 2018 the immigration agent was hanging out in the club with me and a few other people he was a younger guy and he was explaining his job to me he was saying the employees on first contracts are a big worry. The passengers had no problem he was doing the employees in the morning and he was hoping he didn't have to sack anyone that was the word he used because if a staff member is refused you are sacked by the cruise line at that point apparently.
Old May 1st 2020, 7:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Seems part of the issue is cruise companies not cooperating with CDC

"Cruise companies are allowed to disembark and repatriate people still trapped on ships around the U.S. by private transportation as long as their executives sign an agreement with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that holds the companies accountable for the process. They are refusing to do so."

"In conversations with the CDC, cruise company officials have complained that arranging private transportation for disembarking crew is “too expensive,” according to a spokesperson for the agency."

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/bus...242380421.html

Could be worse, the US could have just said no cruise allowed at our ports as Canada has done.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.