Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

When do we expect Trump to lift the travel ban against UK?

When do we expect Trump to lift the travel ban against UK?

Old Jul 16th 2020, 5:55 pm
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When do we expect Trump to lift the travel ban against UK?

Originally Posted by Pulaski
But that just means that he would have shut down even more of American than actually happened, doesn't it? That might have been the best thing to do to control the pandemic, but when America doesn't have generous unemployment pay, or much of a safety net to help the unemployed, Americans are going to look for someone who wants to create jobs, and if Biden's angle is to say "I would have given better leadership on coronavirus" it is just going to sound like he wanted to throw even more people out of work.

You seem to be obsessed with the idea that 130,000 deaths is a lot, in America it really isn't. For starters it is only about 12 days worth of normal, average deaths in the US - there are about 11,000 deaths a day, every day in the US on average. Then somewhere between a quarter and a third of those deaths were in care homes - the elderly and frail, who were, to be blunt, just waiting to die. Then there is the fact that that deaths are significantly skewed racially, with apparently a black person twice as likely as a white person to die from coronavirus, and other racial minorities to also suffer disproportionately. Then there is the fact that the deaths, to date at least, were skewed towards New York, which is considered to be a Democrat stronghold, so it wouldn't matter if there is a backlast against Donald Trump in NYC, as he was very unlikely to win New York anyway. Other centers have been other large cities, which are generally islands of Democrat support even in states that are generally Republican leaning.

So, per above, across the vast majority of America, the "fly over" part, voters don't necessarily see themselves as being at great risk from coronavirus - for one or more of several reasons - they're not elderly, they're not in a large city, they're not an ethnic minority, and in most cases they either don't know anyone who died, or the person they know was elderly and/or unhealthy, and were "going to die soon anyway". And of course then there are those who just "rationalize" the death of grandpa as being "God's will".

So when it comes time to vote, large numbers of voters are going to vote based on their own self interest, which is work and jobs, not on sentimentality over a tiny percentage of deaths, mostly of the elderly who they either didn't know, or don't empathize with for one or more reasons. ..... For many Americans it would be like British voters voting based on what was happening in Barcelona, Berlin, or Athens. No matter how tragic, what is happening to you and your family locally, will (pardon the pun) trump what is happening hundreds or thousands of miles away in a city that is alien to you.

Please note I am not saying I agree with any of those statements, though I might agree with some of them, but I hope that this summary helps you understand a little of what is actually going on here, in the Amercica that the mainstream media seems to have lost contact with.
But 137k is a quarter of the death toll of the world for this virus from the wealthiest and most powerful country in the world?. I just can't behind get people claiming Trump has done a good job over this. He hasn't but he thinks he has. Throughout this we have seen him ranting the way he does saying this is Chinese virus and telling people to inject bleach into their lungs and asking a doctor from Harvard or Yale if that was possible and then asking can we heat the body up to 150 degrees or whatever?. Yes in a nuclear reactor!. The man is the leader of the country he should not be asking those questions leaving his own experts not knowing which way to look. He should be presidential he should expel confidence and he didn't. If he had, I think the toll would have been less.

You can talk about jobs and people voting on that at the ballot box. But few presidents survive a recession no matter the cause of it. We shall see in November.
Old Jul 16th 2020, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond repute

And outside of the US, you are getting nothing about Biden. He is... probably the only candidate that the Democrats could find who makes Donald Trump look eloquent.
I'll have what you're smoking. Sounds great.
Old Jul 16th 2020, 6:28 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeneralPowerpoint
I'll have what you're smoking. Sounds great.
[1] It's not legal here
[2] you're in advertizing, in NYC, so your view is a long way, both politically and geographically from most of America, same as the NY Times and the TV networks.

You should get out more.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 16th 2020 at 6:50 pm.
Old Jul 16th 2020, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond repute

[1]
[2] you're in advertizing, in NYC, so your view is a long way, both politically and geographically from most of America, same as the NY Times and the TV networks.

You should get out more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzBdBj5QWyY
My view is that Joe Biden is a more eloquent speaker than Donald Trump. Are you saying that view is a long way from most of America?

Do you think most of America thinks that Donald Trump is the more eloquent of the two?

I'd love to hear what you're basing that on and why you think you're more qualified to make an assessment about what most of America thinks than someone from NYC?
Old Jul 16th 2020, 9:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

My view is that Joe Biden is a more eloquent speaker than Donald Trump. Are you saying that view is a long way from most of America?

Do you think most of America thinks that Donald Trump is the more eloquent of the two? ...
That's kinda-sorta the opposite of what I'm saying - Donald Trump has a habit of sounding unprepared and/or going off-script ..... and the Democrats have managed to put up a candidate who makes Donald Trump look like a smooth public speaker.
.... I'd love to hear what you're basing that on and why you think you're more qualified to make an assessment about what most of America thinks than someone from NYC?
Er, yeah,

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 16th 2020 at 9:30 pm.
Old Jul 16th 2020, 9:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Do you think most of America thinks that Donald Trump is the more eloquent of the two?

I'd love to hear what you're basing that on and why you think you're more qualified to make an assessment about what most of America thinks than someone from NYC?

Biden is more eloquent if he remembers what he is talking about. Trump on the other hand has the vocabulary of a 5 year old.

Old Jul 16th 2020, 9:46 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

If you were in NYC then your opinion might carry some weight. From your view 4,000 miles away, it doesn't mean squat.
Old Jul 16th 2020, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

Regardless of performance and policies, Trump talks like a confused teenager at a party while a few girls at taking the proverbial out of him.
Old Jul 16th 2020, 9:47 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with you. Putting the words "Trump" and "eloquent" in the same sentence is a total mismatch.. Sadly, those who support him generally appear to rise to the same level of "eloquence."
Old Jul 16th 2020, 9:50 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

[1] It's not legal here

You should get out more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzBdBj5QWyY
I don’t think advertise, or advertising, is usually spelled with the “z” .... either in US or British usage.
Old Jul 16th 2020, 11:22 pm
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
I love Darwinism. I can only think that the average IQ of the nation is going to increase in the next year.
I think there should be some kind of consequences on these young people in Miami and South Florida, going to beach and raving in the streets not social distancing who have caused this. Criminal charging beyond a fine is probably out of the question. Do you know what I would do if I was the mayor of Miami I would shut bars and club in miami down at 1am in the morning when the social distancing rules getting lifted and the young people can choke on it. It currently closes at 5am by the way every night of the week. Might cost a lot of money but this has cost a lot of lives through selfishness.
Old Jul 16th 2020, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Biden is more eloquent if he remembers what he is talking about. Trump on the other hand has the vocabulary of a 5 year old.
My four year old grandson has a better vocabulary than Trump!
Old Jul 17th 2020, 1:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

Your qualifications to be a political pundit on US elections are as flimsy as your qualifications to discuss the development and testing of vaccines. You have, quite clearly, absolutely no awareness of the situation "on the ground" across much of the US, and you are relying on the same media that confidently predicted, right up to the moment that the polls closed, that Hilary Clinton was going to trounce Donald Trump in 2016 to predict that Joe Biden will beat Donald Trump in 2020.
Hillary never had such a large, consistent lead in polls at this point in the cycle in 2016 though. Pollsters have also corrected their methodology (e.g. weighting for education which is partly what tripped them up in some states in 2016) since and did a pretty decent job in 2018. More attention is being paid to state level polling rather than the national headline numbers. Hillary did also the popular vote, remember.

Trump only won in 2016 by the thinnest of margins in PA, WI and MI - I think he will struggle to repeat that again.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/16/u...-accurate.html

Last edited by Olly_; Jul 17th 2020 at 1:28 am.
Old Jul 17th 2020, 3:18 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyrebell
But 137k is a quarter of the death toll of the world for this virus from the wealthiest and most powerful country in the world?. I just can't behind get people claiming Trump has done a good job over this. He hasn't but he thinks he has. Throughout this we have seen him ranting the way he does saying this is Chinese virus and telling people to inject bleach into their lungs and asking a doctor from Harvard or Yale if that was possible and then asking can we heat the body up to 150 degrees or whatever?. Yes in a nuclear reactor!. The man is the leader of the country he should not be asking those questions leaving his own experts not knowing which way to look. He should be presidential he should expel confidence and he didn't. If he had, I think the toll would have been less.

You can talk about jobs and people voting on that at the ballot box. But few presidents survive a recession no matter the cause of it. We shall see in November.
Who are these people? Why on earth should you get behind them? Why do you even need to state that? In the main they are people who blindly follow Trump regardless of what he says. No one with even the basic level of common sense would claim he's done a good job over COVID. You come out with the strangest statements that have very little to do with the posts you quote.
Old Jul 17th 2020, 10:01 am
Banned

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Who are these people? Why on earth should you get behind them? Why do you even need to state that? In the main they are people who blindly follow Trump regardless of what he says. No one with even the basic level of common sense would claim he's done a good job over COVID. You come out with the strangest statements that have very little to do with the posts you quote.
Maybe with the outcome of all this people who blindly follow him will stop doing so. If the travel bans to the country had been done sooner it would be a lot different ballgame than it is now. The European bans came in 3 days before the first detected case in NYC . Clearly those bans came in too late.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.