Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

When do we expect Trump to lift the travel ban against UK?

When do we expect Trump to lift the travel ban against UK?

Old May 6th 2020, 11:14 pm
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When do we expect Trump to lift the travel ban against UK?

Originally Posted by civilservant
You really don't have a clue do you?
Countless millions go through thousands polling stations in a 14 hour period usually from 6am to 10pm. Why not vaccinate the mass in this vein. Mass vaccination all at once if possible is only the way to prevent any trouble. I can imagine surgerys being robbed for the vaccine, torched even. I can imagine people doing all sorts of stuff. After all hand sanitizer was getting robbed from hospital beds.

Last edited by andyrebell; May 6th 2020 at 11:27 pm.
Old May 6th 2020, 11:25 pm
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Because you will have vaccinated and unvaccinated people in close contact with each other, any number of whom could be carriers, and you can't assume those who are administering the vaccines will have been vaccinated themselves. This isn't rocket science, social distancing will be observed long into 2021, mark my words.

That's three schools in one district in the UK. What's that, 3,000 kids at most, probably less than 1,000 for some areas? The UK has a population of 66 million. Come on.

Vaccinations can't be done all at once, there are not enough hours in one day to allow it, it is physically impossible. It will not be done by invitation either, likely by date of birth or NI number, or some other method.

As to the risk of vaccines being stolen, I may be a pacifist but even I know that most countries have enough soldiers with big guns to handle that kind of thing.

And that doesn't even take into account the fact that voter turnout in the US is generally less than 45% of the total population, at which point the comparison goes out the window.

All of which are manufacturing drugs that are needed on a daily basis by countless millions of people and will need to continue this while the vaccines are being made too.

You can try to reassure yourself all you want but for at least the next 18 months, this is the new normal.
The first ones to get the vaccine will the front line staff the doctors the nurses not the rich people. Once they have been vaccinated send them to the polling station locations and the schools to vaccinate the adults and the children in two sittings using the contact method of a vaccine for each child at the school each checked off on a list. Then checking off the list for invited adults. Adults invited to their local polling station location by contact at their address from either the electoral or council tax register, benefits register, local housing authority register. That should get most people. Logistically tough but it can be done.

The people administering the vaccines to the masses will have been vaccinated themselves hence not much need for social distancing at that junction and the size of some of these places if well staffed the lines might move pretty quickly.
Old May 6th 2020, 11:34 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyrebell
The first ones to get the vaccine will the front line staff the doctors the nurses not the rich people. Once they have been vaccinated send them to the polling station locations and the schools to vaccinate the adults and the children in two sittings using the contact method of a vaccine for each child at the school each checked off on a list. Then checking off the list for invited adults. Adults invited to their local polling station location by contact at their address from either the electoral or council tax register, benefits register, local housing authority register. That should get most people. Logistically tough but it can be done. ....
It's not "logistically tough", in the US it will primarily be done through people's health insurance. Why would it be done any other way? Why would anyone want to reinvent the wheel?
Old May 6th 2020, 11:39 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

He's a heathen Pulaski. He has no idea what a wheel is or that it exists
Old May 7th 2020, 12:13 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Countless millions go through thousands polling stations in a 14 hour period usually from 6am to 10pm. Why not vaccinate the mass in the vein. Mass vaccination is only the way to prevent any trouble. I can imagine surgerys being robbed for the vaccine, people doing all sorts of stuff.
Please stop! You seem to have an over active imagination. Please take note of what people are saying to you. 🤞🏻
Old May 7th 2020, 12:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I know what is going on in America.
Your posts indicate otherwise.
Old May 7th 2020, 12:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Please stop "thinking", you don't live in the US and have no idea what is going on, or how many idiots and nit-wits we have living here!

For starters, we apparently have somewhere around 15 million illegal immigrants who are mostly "under the radar" when it comes to healthcare, and another 15 million who apparently don't have health insurance. Many of these may over-lap with the 15 million illegal immigrants, but some don't, and either way we probably have 20+ million who are going to be "hard to reach" with a vaccine. Then there the anti-vaxers, the government conspiracy wing nuts, and the science doubters, and all manner of other froot-loops, who aren't going to listen to common sense when it comes to vaccinations.
The number of uninsured is going to be way higher than this. Think of all the people who have lost their employer-provided insurance in the current pandemic due to being laid off. Sure, some will be able to afford COBRA coverage and some will get an ACA policy or go on Medicaid. Oh, and I see Trump is pushing ahead with the legal case to get the ACA ruled unconstitutional in its entirety by the Supreme Court. Case will be heard this fall, with a verdict nicely timed to increase the rolls of the uninsured even more during the pandemic. Really, this country is almost uniquely ill-prepared to deal with this situation.
Old May 7th 2020, 3:53 am
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I gave myself that exact slap yesterday. Not for arguing. For wasting my time explaining something that I knew would be swept aside without pause.
I have been staying away from this thread because of all this garbage *waves all around*. Welcome to the Trailer Park

I just read your and Pollyanna's posts. I'm sorry to hear that your respective outlooks have been rocked so deeply by this crisis. Maybe I am just being naive to have not thought that far ahead? I am on the opposite side to you both, in thinking it's time to return to Oz from the US sh!tshow.

Probably not much point continuing the discussion amongst all this racket. But one thing I will say is that things will not remain this uncertain forever. Some certainties will emerge and even if we don't like them, they will still be some solid ground to build a plan for what comes next.

For now, I hope you can reel the planning skills back in and get your mind more-or-less on board with a smaller frame of reference until we get there.
Old May 7th 2020, 5:30 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Countless millions go through thousands polling stations

OTOH, some interesting questions come to mind. Would the opportunity (threat) of a stab in the arm increase the number of mailed in ballots, or decrease the turnout? Or both? Who would benefit? I never knew that so many of my Facebook 'friends' are more afraid of masks and non-existent vaccines than they are of a virus.
Old May 7th 2020, 6:06 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by retzie
Probably not much point continuing the discussion amongst all this racket. But one thing I will say is that things will not remain this uncertain forever.
Evening from New Zealand Retie and thanks for your post. Yes. This is off topic for this thread
For me the time had become a bit now or never as I had already waited a number of years. There is a him as well as a me so it takes two and for him I think maybe he needed more years here. In my head it was a September/October 2020 visit , which I had already postponed a year, followed by a hopeful return next April. We are of an age where we make the forever move, if we make a move. Settle and thrive. Practicalities come into this for us. Not least being pension matters which are upon us both. There is a practical time-frame for this I feel, after which it would be putting us through stress, strife and uncertainty at a time of life when one looks to simply 'be' . I had mulled this long and hard with the fors & againsts. The adventure before dementia. The realisation that the ticking clock was ticking a bit loudly in the ear.

Then, along came Covid19 pandemic.and from the very early outset I realised everything would change. I hoped not of course but as someone described this to me " a tidal wave is coming " .

Originally Posted by Retzie
Some certainties will emerge and even if we don't like them, they will still be some solid ground to build a plan for what comes next.
For now, I hope you can reel the planning skills back in and get your mind more-or-less on board with a smaller frame of reference until we get there.
I agree with this totally. It echoes my thinking. It is where my head is right now . I will and can. Himself will lay his head happily wherever I will lay my head in peace & contentment.
I am not miserable or down in the dumps can it be said. I was born with bounce, especially in the face of adversity . I just need to do a little work on the me at this older age to look hard at the options ,. Keep flexible, look for the opportunities in a changed world and make the most of that for the both of us. It is still a form of loss though. What was right within my grasp within the next 12 months is not now realistic. It takes some adjusting.
Old May 7th 2020, 9:52 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Please stop! You seem to have an over active imagination. Please take note of what people are saying to you. 🤞🏻
I actually don't have an over active imagination. It was a statement of fact

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-51771584

Bottles of hand sanitizer were stolen from the at the bottom of the patients beds at Northampton General Hospital they even ripped those machines off the walls when you walk into the ward entrance and do your hands. Toilet rolls have been stolen from hospitals toilets. Northampton isn't the only town to experience this and I don't live there and I am not ragging on the place it just made the news. And this was when we only had a few hundred cases and no lockdown.

So if it was like this before the outbreak got real to put it that way what do you think it will be like when your waiting x months for your vaccine. The only way to prevent any trouble with this vaccination process in UK imho is to do it all at once perhaps in the method I outlined. That is the most efficient way and it will also stop that discussion in parliament about postcode lottery in the NHS over getting the vaccine. For you Americans who don't understand what that means. It has been said in the past that the part of the UK you live in may determine how long you wait to receive NHS treatment in certain situations. Cancer treatment, waiting time for routine operations etc. I don't why that is it just is.

Last edited by andyrebell; May 7th 2020 at 9:58 am.
Old May 7th 2020, 10:15 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It's not "logistically tough", in the US it will primarily be done through people's health insurance. Why would it be done any other way? Why would anyone want to reinvent the wheel?
So how will people in America get it then? The insurance will cover it as you say but how will they get the injection? And don't say in the arm!
Will they get it at work, at the drug store, at the american equivalent of a GP surgery, the emergency room?

Lets for the sake of argument that on Feb 1st 2021 they have 330 million doses. How long would it be before you got yours?

Old May 7th 2020, 12:13 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

The insurance will cover it as you say but how will they get the injection?
For the majority of people, their employer will possibly arrange a visit from some sort of health professional that will do everyone in one day.

Working in the healthcare setting, we will have it administered all at once by our staff nurse.

Those that have health insurance can get it from their PCP.

For those that are not working or that don't have health insurance, somewhere like Walmart will do immunizations the same way they do Flu vaccines, for a fee.

I can assure you that no one, literally no one, will be getting it at a 'polling station'
Old May 7th 2020, 1:56 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

So how will people in America get it then? The insurance will cover it as you say but how will they get the injection? And don't say in the arm!
Will they get it at work, at the drug store, at the american equivalent of a GP surgery, the emergency room?

Lets for the sake of argument that on Feb 1st 2021 they have 330 million doses. How long would it be before you got yours?
How about, for the sake of argument, we say that somehow they find a way to make 20 million vaccinations per month, it will take about 16 months to vaccinate 90% of the US population, because for various reasons there will be some people who can't or won't be vaccianted.

Per Civilservant, above, my employer will probably schedule a time for all employees to be vaccinated, or I could go to see my GP if making a trip to the office isn't convenient.
Old May 7th 2020, 1:58 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

The first ones to get the vaccine will the front line staff the doctors the nurses not the rich people. Once they have been vaccinated send them to the polling station locations and the schools to vaccinate the adults and the children in two sittings using the contact method of a vaccine for each child at the school each checked off on a list. Then checking off the list for invited adults. Adults invited to their local polling station location by contact at their address from either the electoral or council tax register, benefits register, local housing authority register. That should get most people. Logistically tough but it can be done.

The people administering the vaccines to the masses will have been vaccinated themselves hence not much need for social distancing at that junction and the size of some of these places if well staffed the lines might move pretty quickly.
Even if the medical staff get the vaccine first, there will still be a need to keep vaccinated and unvaccinated people separate at those locations, and also in the wider world during rollout. Social distancing will need to be observed until everyone has received a vaccination. Otherwise, there is no point vaccinating at all.

How long do you actually think it will take to vaccinate double-triple digit millions of people? Do you really think that can be done in a few days?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.