Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

When do we expect Trump to lift the travel ban against UK?

When do we expect Trump to lift the travel ban against UK?

Old Apr 18th 2020, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When do we expect Trump to lift the travel ban against UK?

Originally Posted by cxx
Wow, let's all make assumptions shall we? Not everyone travels for vacation. I would be travelling to give a number of local tradesmen work and support the local economy. If I could find a way to remotely give them access to the work I would but unfortunately it's not an option.
Are you sure? The world has been turned upside down and you may find people willing to help in unexpected quarters. Is there an independent third party in the town who might be able to act as intermediary (for a small handling fee)?

I would at least try a couple of phone calls - it sounds like it will make your life easier if this work is completed, and it might as well be while you can't access the property.
Old Apr 18th 2020, 11:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

This summer is gonna hurt in Vancouver without cruise ships, cruises bring about $2 billion a year to the local economy, and thousands of jobs exist each summer because of it, no cruises and that is a lot of money that doesn't exist anymore, which means less jobs in hotels, at the airport, food services, retail, local tourist attractions etc. Unlike some places the ships tend to start and end here so our local hotels, and other industries benefit greatly from it.

At my last job in summer our flights doubled because cruise demand, no cruises wont need as many flights which means less service which leads to less jobs.

Hopefully things don't get too ugly here.

Old Apr 20th 2020, 5:05 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Given the way the wind is blowing in DC, and a number of US states, a more pertinent question than the one posed in the title of this thread might be "when will other countries lift the travel ban against the US?"
Old Apr 20th 2020, 8:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Given the way the wind is blowing in DC, and a number of US states, a more pertinent question than the one posed in the title of this thread might be "when will other countries lift the travel ban against the US?"
Canada wont be anytime soon, based on comments made the border will remain closed to non-essential travel for an extended period, although they don't say how long but as long as things are crazy in the US, Canada isn't going to risk importing cases, plus anyone arriving into Canada right now (with some exceptions for essential jobs) have to do a 14 day mandatory quarantine, so kind of hinders leisure travel, no fun coming to Canada to sit inside a hotel room for 14 days. Those who fail to quarantine face massive fines and/or jail time.

If the officials don't like your quarantine plan, they will place you in hotels the government had rented for 14 days.

I really don't see any leisure travelling happening in Canada over the summer for tourists, I just don't see the government opening up the borders anytime soon to non-essential travel.
Old Apr 21st 2020, 2:52 am
Forum Regular

Dewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud of

However you view the Presidents decision to temporarily suspend by Executve Order immigration to the US, I feel for everyone who may have their visa or adjustment of status paperwork delayed by this action
Old Apr 21st 2020, 2:56 am
BE Enthusiast

sid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dewey
However you view the Presidents decision to temporarily suspend by Executve Order immigration to the US, I feel for everyone who may have their visa or adjustment of status paperwork delayed by this action
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/...170501639?s=21
Yup.

Old Apr 21st 2020, 3:12 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
A good number of Americans wouldn't give a fig about that. American Exceptionalism is not exactly a rare bird in these parts you know. You seem to think that 'America' cares about the rest of the world.

Generally speaking, not so much. Certainly not Trumps base.
He also seems to think the rest of the world actually cares about the USA now. Breaking news, they don't.
Old Apr 21st 2020, 3:55 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
He also seems to think the rest of the world actually cares about the USA now. Breaking news, they don't.
that's a bit uncalled for. I work with people who are going to be terribly upset about this.
For many of us, it adds an extra layer of stress right now.
Sending hugs to all who are now worried about how their future looks.
Old Apr 21st 2020, 4:15 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
that's a bit uncalled for. I work with people who are going to be terribly upset about this.
but those people don't have a vote. Do you think he gives a fig.
eta Harry might need to be worried!

Last edited by RICH; Apr 21st 2020 at 4:21 am.
Old Apr 21st 2020, 4:41 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Why are people going to be upset or stressed by the rest of the world's (long held) belief/attitude towards the USA?
Old Apr 21st 2020, 5:52 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Got a bit muddled about hasn't it.
Pen was replying to post #106 made 3 days so further back. It was well before this latest announcement about USA immy.

NZ has closed its borders but far far earlier & in the national interest, unlike the Trump thing which is electioneering isn't it. Folks in any country immy visa pipeline are of course worried and concerned. I would be too . However, with countries stating a stay home policy it is for the best at present.

I had someone , a USC as it happens, recently tell me that the world relies on America. It was uncomfortable to tell that person that the rest of the world actually does not . I am not sure why she even thought it but didn't delve. It remains a rather odd notion to me given two-way trade.
Old Apr 21st 2020, 7:26 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

The fact that he refers to it as “the invisible enemy” is deeply weird. Reminds me of those wartime cartoons, when Japanese people always wore glasses and had buck teeth. There was a good opinion piece in the New York Times yesterday by Charles Blow. He said that Trump’s actions and statements should be documented, since he’s the president, but they shouldn’t necessarily be reported on and amplified by the news media.
Old Apr 21st 2020, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

Dewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by robin1234
The fact that he refers to it as “the invisible enemy” is deeply weird. Reminds me of those wartime cartoons, when Japanese people always wore glasses and had buck teeth. There was a good opinion piece in the New York Times yesterday by Charles Blow. He said that Trump’s actions and statements should be documented, since he’s the president, but they shouldn’t necessarily be reported on and amplified by the news media.
wartime precedents are worth recalling, the anti-quarantine protests put me in mind of Lindbergh’s America First movement and the initial refusal by coastal communities along the East coast to blackout at night, contributing to the slaughter of American merchant seamen transporting oil up the Gulf and East coast from Houston by U-boats. It was only stopped when the Navy accepted the British and Canadian convoy system might be a good idea and Congress imposed blackout restrictions.
Old Apr 21st 2020, 12:47 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dewey
wartime precedents are worth recalling, the anti-quarantine protests put me in mind of Lindbergh’s America First movement and the initial refusal by coastal communities along the East coast to blackout at night, contributing to the slaughter of American merchant seamen transporting oil up the Gulf and East coast from Houston by U-boats. It was only stopped when the Navy accepted the British and Canadian convoy system might be a good idea and Congress imposed blackout restrictions.
The “happy time.” I remember reading a memoir by a U-boat captain about this period.
Old Apr 21st 2020, 12:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I think they do. Certainly many on BE do or they would not keep posting about US politics/policies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.