Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

When do we expect Trump to lift the travel ban against UK?

When do we expect Trump to lift the travel ban against UK?

Old Apr 17th 2020, 5:19 pm
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When do we expect Trump to lift the travel ban against UK?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
***Newsflash*** It doesn’t matter what you want...the US doesn’t want you. 30 days to wait isn’t the end of the world. Of course that maybe extended.
So based upon this upcoming 30 day extension over Canada which will be probably be implemented. It is reasonable to assume that the USA travel ban will be extended for a further 30 days with regards to UK/Ireland and the so called EU Schengen area? Which takes the travel ban date to very close to the end of May?
Old Apr 17th 2020, 5:21 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Revenue - costs = profit.
We're note talking about toronto cottage country where people pay ridiculous prices for a shed!
Old Apr 17th 2020, 6:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Then there's the ones who actually pass the trials and are approved, but they still have a list of side effects that take more than half the advert to list

I know that's only because they have to list every single one that was observed even if it only affects one person but still, even my daughter's making jokes about it when she hears them.
2 ways you know your watching a US based network on Canadian cable.

1) Ads for prescriptions drugs (they are not allowed in Canada)

2) Ads for sleazy lawyers especially the attention, have you taken this drug or this medical procedure you may be entitled to compensation call the law offices of blah blah, yes we do have lawyer ads but nowhere near the level of what you see in the US.

Those prescription drug ads almost make you never want to take a prescription drug.

Old Apr 17th 2020, 6:26 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
2 ways you know your watching a US based network on Canadian cable.

1) Ads for prescriptions drugs (they are not allowed in Canada)

2) Ads for sleazy lawyers especially the attention, have you taken this drug or this medical procedure you may be entitled to compensation call the law offices of blah blah, yes we do have lawyer ads but nowhere near the level of what you see in the US.

Those prescription drug ads almost make you never want to take a prescription drug.
There's the WGN superstation, my mate used to tell me he was watching Chicago based programs, and they were showing Cubs games up there when WGN used to have those. I remember watching one based in Boston too on my first trip up to visit him.

The long lists of side effects are more a product of the litigious nature of Americans, rather than something that is actually going to happen to you. They have to rhyme them all off, even if they only affected one person out of however many were in trials, so they can't be sued.
Old Apr 17th 2020, 6:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyrebell
So based upon this upcoming 30 day extension over Canada which will be probably be implemented. It is reasonable to assume that the USA travel ban will be extended for a further 30 days with regards to UK/Ireland and the so called EU Schengen area? Which takes the travel ban date to very close to the end of May?
The US is very likely to to lift travel restrictions on the US/Canada border before they do so elsewhere, and Canada is likely to do the same.

US/Canada and US/Mexico borders are not closed either, travel is restricted to essential travel only, but the borders are not closed.

Current wait time to get into the US at the Mexico border in San Diego is 40 minutes, and at some points today the wait time was slightly above average.

The list for both the US and Canada on what is deemed essential travel is pretty broad.

Old Apr 17th 2020, 6:55 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
There's the WGN superstation, my mate used to tell me he was watching Chicago based programs, and they were showing Cubs games up there when WGN used to have those. I remember watching one based in Boston too on my first trip up to visit him.

The long lists of side effects are more a product of the litigious nature of Americans, rather than something that is actually going to happen to you. They have to rhyme them all off, even if they only affected one person out of however many were in trials, so they can't be sued.
Out in Vancouver its mostly Seattle networks for the US channels, but we also have a Los Angeles one, but WGN isn't included in our package, but for some reason we have a random NY channel.

Only time we see US commercials though is if there is no Canadian broadcaster with rights to a show, so most of the time the US channels during the good shows are just simulcasts of the Canadian network, example when NCIS airs on CBS it also airs on Global so if you turn to the CBS channel your just watching Global but on the US channel.

Tip though always set the DVR to the US channel when in Canada, sometimes the Canadian networks will delay airing episodes if there is an election here, or something else, so if DVR is set to a Canadian network sometimes you end up with some random thing and not the show you wanted...
Old Apr 17th 2020, 6:58 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Out in Vancouver its mostly Seattle networks for the US channels, but we also have a Los Angeles one, but WGN isn't included in our package, but for some reason we have a random NY channel.

Only time we see US commercials though is if there is no Canadian broadcaster with rights to a show, so most of the time the US channels during the good shows are just simulcasts of the Canadian network, example when NCIS airs on CBS it also airs on Global so if you turn to the CBS channel your just watching Global but on the US channel.

Tip though always set the DVR to the US channel when in Canada, sometimes the Canadian networks will delay airing episodes if there is an election here, or something else, so if DVR is set to a Canadian network sometimes you end up with some random thing and not the show you wanted...
Our ads are ****ed though, it's either the drug commercials with the side effects, or just some pandering BS propaganda or some sob story trying to sell you a car. Ads are trash.
Old Apr 17th 2020, 7:18 pm
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute

not sure why you are bringing Europe into this...unless of course you have a holiday home you are renovating in Europe. Or perhaps you are worried about Europe’s economy and wish to donate to it.
I am in UK. If Canadians can't get in to USA for another 30 days it would seem reasonable to suggest that the 30 day travel ban against UK/EU will also be extended in the same vein. We are due to travel in September with that final payment date early May. I am just assessing the lay of the land.
Old Apr 17th 2020, 7:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I am in UK. If Canadians can't get in to USA for another 30 days it would seem reasonable to suggest that the 30 day travel ban against UK/EU will also be extended in the same vein. We are due to travel in September with that final payment date early May. I am just assessing the lay of the land.
sorry I was getting you confused with cxx.

TBH if it’s for a holiday I would cancel. I wouldn’t want to be stuck on a plane for all those hours, or stay in a hotel. Restrictions may have been lifted by then, but I wouldn’t risk travelling unless it was absolutely necessary.
Old Apr 17th 2020, 9:02 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... TBH if it’s for a holiday I would cancel. I wouldn’t want to be stuck on a plane for all those hours, or stay in a hotel. Restrictions may have been lifted by then, but I wouldn’t risk travelling unless it was absolutely necessary.
Agreed 100%. Even by the most optimistic projections, there isn't going to be a vaccine before then, and it will likely take a long time to manufacture enough to make it widely available even if one is developed and approved by September.

It is interesting to see how far out different organizations are postponing and rescheduling things, even when various politicians are talking about lifting restrictions within a few weeks. I have seen that some concerts are being rescheduled to 2021 (while one I know of has been rescheduled to June 2020 ), sports events canceled throughout the summer, and I heard that Harvard has postponed it's fall semester until January 2021, which sounds like "cancelled" by another name to me.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 17th 2020 at 9:06 pm.
Old Apr 17th 2020, 9:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Agreed 100%. Even by the most optimistic projections, there isn't going to be a vaccine before then, and it will likely take a long time to manufacture enough to make it widely available even if one is developed and approved by September.

It is interesting to see how far out different organizations are postponing and rescheduling things, even when various politicians are talking about lifting restrictions within a few weeks. I have seen that some concerts are being rescheduled to 2021 (while one I know of has been rescheduled to June 2020 ), sports events canceled throughout the summer, and I heard that Harvard has postponed it's fall semester until January 2021, which sounds like "cancelled" by another name to me.
during today’s update...Ontario refused to confirm that schools will be back in September.
Old Apr 17th 2020, 9:17 pm
Banned

sorry I was getting you confused with cxx.

TBH if it’s for a holiday I would cancel. I wouldn’t want to be stuck on a plane for all those hours, or stay in a hotel. Restrictions may have been lifted by then, but I wouldn’t risk travelling unless it was absolutely necessary.
The cruise (Alaska) is in September. Princess the cruise line have not cancelled it yet to my knowledge and the final payment date May 6th. Not sure how much if any of deposit we would get back. I am going to hold out until like May 5th and see how it goes and hopefully princess will cancel for me by then meaning a refund of paid monies will be due.
Old Apr 17th 2020, 9:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

during today’s update...Ontario refused to confirm that schools will be back in September.
Do you have anything surprising to tell me?
Old Apr 17th 2020, 9:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

The cruise (Alaska) is in September. Princess the cruise line have not cancelled it yet to my knowledge and the final payment date May 6th. Not sure how much if any of deposit we would get back. I am going to hold out until like May 5th and see how it goes and hopefully princess will cancel for me by then meaning a refund of paid monies will be due.
Princess....yikes. I definitely would not go, and Princess along with Cunard are our favourite cruise lines. Also you will be flying to the west coast...so an even longer flight than to the east coast. Shame because that cruise is a nice cruise. Last year we spent almost 4 months on cruises (Princess and Cunard), but we certainly will not be cruising this year, probably not next year.

we had put on board deposits down for 4 cruises when we were on the Golden Princess last October. We have pretty much kissed that money goodbye, along with our Carnival shares, as we don’t expect them to return the refundable deposits as they are hemorrhaging money at the moment. We were talking about this a few hours ago, saying that we do not expect Carnival to survive. Maybe the Cunard brand and ships will be bought out by another company.
Old Apr 17th 2020, 9:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I’ve just been watching CNN, there were interviewing a researcher from The Jenner Inst. Oxford. He said they have a vaccine and are starting human trials next week. They are pretty confident it will be ready by the autumn with 80% success rate.
they are hoping to have 1M shots available by September. 1M won’t go very far unfortunately.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Apr 17th 2020 at 10:02 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.