Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

When do we expect Trump to lift the travel ban against UK?

When do we expect Trump to lift the travel ban against UK?

Old Apr 16th 2020, 4:25 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When do we expect Trump to lift the travel ban against UK?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
.... Regular Joe will be months away from getting the vaccine after it has been approved. Politicians, the rich and famous will no doubt be first in line. ....
In fairness there aren't actually very many of those, but after high risk groups including healthcare workers and "first responders", an effective vaccine is going to be directed to areas worst affected, so New York City and a handful of major metropolitan areas, and they are going to need probably 50 million + vaccines, so even if a vaccine were approved for production in September, I don't expect it to be universally available across the US for at least 12 months. Given that at the moment an effective vaccination is just a "hope" it is IMO almost certainly going to take a lot longer than 12 months for most Americans to have access to an effective vaccine.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 16th 2020 at 4:29 pm.
Old Apr 16th 2020, 4:27 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
In fairness there aren't actually very many of those, but after high risk groups including healthcare workers and "first responders", an effective vaccine is going to be directed to areas worst affected, so New York and a handful of major metropolitan areas and they are going to need probably 50 million + vaccines, so even if a vaccine were approved for production in September, I don't expect it to be universally available across the US for at least 12 months. Given that at the moment an effective vaccination is just a "hope" it is IMO almost certainly going to take a lot longer than 12 months for most Americans to have access to an effective vaccine.
I suspect you're correct - if they started producing and delivering one million per day it would take a year for the whole country.
Old Apr 16th 2020, 4:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by andyrebell
The daily express ran a story which says could it be very close maybe September time. A firm is saying they are 80% confident that vaccine they have developed will be very good at doing what it needed to do and could be ready for September. The really need it for November of course because of the election. There is no way they can do anything but voting at a polling station in person and they can't call the election off. There will be a decent amount of herd immunity in play by then I think as well.
Herd imminity has been talked about, not sure if it is proven.

Even if they launched in September how long would it take to get results get up to speed on production.
Old Apr 16th 2020, 4:41 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

A vaccine isn't happening before next March at the absolute earliest, and even that is unlikely, and it would be into 2022 before everyone is vaccinated. That's the reality, no point in sugarcoating it.
Old Apr 16th 2020, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

Jamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond repute

He is mental. End of.
Old Apr 16th 2020, 4:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
A vaccine isn't happening before next March at the absolute earliest, and even that is unlikely, and it would be into 2022 before everyone is vaccinated. That's the reality, no point in sugarcoating it.
You'd be much more optimistic if you relied on the Daily Express as your primary news source.
Old Apr 16th 2020, 4:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Exactly, this is the dilemma I’ve been wrestling with since late February. Looking back on it, my determination to see my sister (she lives in Sussex) on her birthday, 27 February, was what delayed me from bailing out early and flying back to Canada/US at that time. Then I allowed my wife and my daughter to talk me out of changing my flight. Then, as we know, everything happened quickly and I didn’t want to be flying at a time when London and LHR were crazy busy.

Thanks everyone, for thoughtful and useful responses! Didn’t mean to totally hijack the thread!

I wish you well in whatever you choose. Having done that ride from Norfolk to Heathrow several times, I know what a nightmare it can be. The train service is pretty good though (is it still running currently?) but even then you'd have to get from the Liverpool street station to Heathrow. Another bug bear......
Old Apr 16th 2020, 4:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Robin can’t you rent a car and drop it at Heathrow?
Old Apr 16th 2020, 5:02 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You'd be much more optimistic if you relied on the Daily Express as your primary news source.
You're probably right, actually
Old Apr 16th 2020, 5:32 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

Well that prat Trudeau is saying they won't be opening the border into Canada anytime soon, which I'm hoping won't mean the border from Canada into the US remains closed. If they open the border to the US I'll be first in line. I have a plan for 14 days quarantine and will be travelling from an area that has very few cases to an area that has very few cases. Once the 14 days are over I'll spend my time in pretty much the same vein, away from most people, but will be spending $$ to help the local economy.
Old Apr 16th 2020, 5:52 pm
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cxx
Well that prat Trudeau is saying they won't be opening the border into Canada anytime soon, which I'm hoping won't mean the border from Canada into the US remains closed. If they open the border to the US I'll be first in line. I have a plan for 14 days quarantine and will be travelling from an area that has very few cases to an area that has very few cases. Once the 14 days are over I'll spend my time in pretty much the same vein, away from most people, but will be spending $$ to help the local economy.
For many tourists and business travellers quarantining won't be viable for their travel plans as it is not for ours so they simply won't travel. So the more you think about it either the borders stay closed until their is a vaccine or countries will have a bit of trust.
Old Apr 16th 2020, 5:59 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
I wish you well in whatever you choose. Having done that ride from Norfolk to Heathrow several times, I know what a nightmare it can be. The train service is pretty good though (is it still running currently?) but even then you'd have to get from the Liverpool street station to Heathrow. Another bug bear......
Thanks. Yeah, in normal times, I always take a bus to Norwich, train from Norwich to Liverpool Street, tube to Paddington where I stay one or more nights in a folkloric cheap hotel. Then tube or Heathrow Express to Heathrow. Then Air Canada to Ottawa. For various reasons none of this is feasible now.

So I’d only do it if I could get a hire car direct to the airport. But I don’t really want to risk the plane and Logan airport at Boston. So it is a dilemma.

And yeah, I’m perfectly comfortable and safe in rural Norfolk.
Old Apr 16th 2020, 6:03 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Robin can’t you rent a car and drop it at Heathrow?
Possible, I believe, but probably a hire car (limousine? Can’t remember the proper British term) would be the better bet.
Old Apr 16th 2020, 6:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Possible, I believe, but probably a hire car (limousine? Can’t remember the proper British term) would be the better bet.
aren’t hire car (British) and rental car (US) the same...they are to me.

i would rent/hire a car from Hertz/Alamo etc and drop it at Heathrow. That way you aren’t in a very confined space with a stranger. FWIW my daughter sat next to an epidemiologist, who worked for the WHO, on her flight back from the UK several weeks ago. She said that the air purification/circulation on a plane was very effective and that there was little chance of catching an airborne disease. Saying that a guy sat nearby was tested positive for Covid19 a few days later and she had to self quarantine.
Old Apr 16th 2020, 7:48 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

BlackBerry cars do airport rides.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.