Wikiposts

What's a guy to do?

Old Jun 5th 2009, 5:16 am
Just Joined

nessundio is an unknown quantity at this point
Question What's a guy to do?

Hi all,

I've been lurking on this forum for a while, reading your posts hoping to answer my questions but I'm still none the wiser really.

Short explanation of what I've got going on here.. I'm a UK citizen and I've got a girlfriend who is a US citizen and theres nothing more I'd love than to be able to go over there for 6 months/1 year so we could live together, ideally of course that would involve me getting some work whilst im there.. but here lies the issue is that im no longer a student (even though i had considered going back into college education) so i can't apply for the J-1 visa.

I work on and off as a freelance Graphic Designer, that is what im trained in and according to o*net online my career choice has an SVP range of 7.0 to <8.0 which as i understand is a good thing cause it means its in demand (i think?)

I had thought about the green-card lottery, but from what I've read, the UK isn't included in the lottery so thats pointless.

Really i don't know what route to go down and im hoping that maybe some of you could give me some ideas as to what i should be looking into.

thanks guys
Old Jun 5th 2009, 5:31 am
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's a guy to do?

Freelance is no good.

1. Get married

2. Join a global agency and work your way up until you can get an internal transfer, OR get headhunted by a US company due to your amazing world-renowned portfolio.

3. Tell yer burd to figure a way to move to the UK.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 5:32 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Very basically, all the methods into the USA are listed in the Wiki article called "Pulaski's Ways". If you do not fit into one of those categories, you won't be coming to the USA for longer than the 90-day VWP permits.

Many people have been in your situation. If you don't qualify for any visa, you just have to keep visiting on the VWP until you feel ready for marriage. Marriage is by far the easiest route into the USA.

Unfortunately, there is no "dating" visa.

Rene
Old Jun 5th 2009, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nessundio
Short explanation of what I've got going on here.. I'm a UK citizen and I've got a girlfriend who is a US citizen and theres nothing more I'd love than to be able to go over there for 6 months/1 year so we could live together, ideally of course that would involve me getting some work whilst im there.. :
The short answer is that there is no "live with my girlfriend and pick up a bit of work" visa. If you aren't ready for marriage, your choices are very limited.