Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

What would you start a "GoFundMe" for?

What would you start a "GoFundMe" for?

Old Jan 28th 2020, 1:20 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default What would you start a "GoFundMe" for?

People use GoFundMe for all sorts of things - some profound, some trivial, but it seems no matter what the cause, good or gratuitous, there are people out there who will cough up a few bucks for pretty much any "cause" you can imagine, even if the target amount isn't reached.

I suspect that "Pulaski's Ferrari fund" would not reach its $250,000 goal, but perhaps if I set up an GoFundMe to pay for "Grammar, punctuation, and syntax tutoring for Boiler", I might get a few $'00's to pay for a course for him.

What would you use GoFundMe for? .... Or do you know anyone who has used GoFundMe?

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 28th 2020 at 1:59 am.
Old Jan 28th 2020, 1:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would you start a "GoFundMe" for?

I tried it once to raise money for medical costs, I think it ended up around $25 given, probably wouldn't try again for anything, only seems to work well if it ends up in the media or you know a lot of people.

I had a co-worker who was beaten in the employee parking lot last summer, I don't think he met the goal, but still managed a few thousand dollars, his made the media which seemed to boost his donations.

Old Jan 28th 2020, 1:43 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice new Chainsaw.
Old Jan 28th 2020, 4:41 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
but perhaps if I set up an GoFundMe to pay for "Grammar, punctuation, and syntax tutoring for Boiler", I might get a few $'00's to pay for a course for him.
Won’t help as long as writes a phrase here, half a sentence there...
Old Jan 28th 2020, 5:04 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

One was set up when my son died by his best "friend" to raise money for his funeral expenses. The "friend" kept the money raised and had himself a big **** off 21st birthday bash - on the dime of some of the lovely BE peeps who donated and my family and friends' donations. GoFundMe wasn't interested in the fraudulent campaign when I contacted them, telling me to try taking it up with the local.police.

So, in summary, no I wouldn't donate to any GoFundMe.
Old Jan 28th 2020, 12:28 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
One was set up when my son died by his best "friend" to raise money for his funeral expenses. The "friend" kept the money raised and had himself a big **** off 21st birthday bash - on the dime of some of the lovely BE peeps who donated and my family and friends' donations.
Wow.

I haven't ever set up a GFM and I would not absent some situation that is completely unforeseeable. Everything else, I hope and expect we as a family are set up to handle with insurances and savings/investments.
Old Jan 28th 2020, 1:17 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Family had one up for my daughter's medical costs re: breast cancer chemo and surgery. Raised very little. Nothing near enough to even pay the cost of the scans. Used my retirement account to pay for her surgery and breast replacement.
Old Jan 28th 2020, 1:34 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't do it for myself.
However, one of my daughter's school friends had to. She is now 23 years old and has had years of treatment for a rare disease that means that the nerves in one of her lower legs causes intense, non-stop pain. She has been given addictive pain meds which she managed to stop taking, years of surgeries and all with the crappiest student health insurance since her parents don't appear to have any. She has also just graduated from the local university and intends to study law once she is over the amputation. She just had this done before christmas - in the end it was the only way to stop the pain. The latest is that her insurance have just refused to cover the cost of her prosthesis despite saying it was covered. They also turned round and said her post-op pain meds weren't covered. I've put the link below - not to ask anyone to contribute since she is pretty near the target amount but for anyone to read her updates. The story is a damning example of the failure of the US health care. I have cried for Christina, this extremely bright young woman has gone through such a lot - and is now up to her ears in student debt and medical debt. I just kept thinking that had she been born in France/Germany/NL etc she wouldn't have had to go through any of this financial pain. Once she is a lawyer, she's fighting for better medical care.
https://www.gofundme.com/f/ugs82-amp...efRKCPScTLOzpU
Old Jan 28th 2020, 6:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
I wouldn't do it for myself.
However, one of my daughter's school friends had to. She is now 23 years old and has had years of treatment for a rare disease that means that the nerves in one of her lower legs causes intense, non-stop pain. She has been given addictive pain meds which she managed to stop taking, years of surgeries and all with the crappiest student health insurance since her parents don't appear to have any. She has also just graduated from the local university and intends to study law once she is over the amputation. She just had this done before christmas - in the end it was the only way to stop the pain. The latest is that her insurance have just refused to cover the cost of her prosthesis despite saying it was covered. They also turned round and said her post-op pain meds weren't covered. I've put the link below - not to ask anyone to contribute since she is pretty near the target amount but for anyone to read her updates. The story is a damning example of the failure of the US health care. I have cried for Christina, this extremely bright young woman has gone through such a lot - and is now up to her ears in student debt and medical debt. I just kept thinking that had she been born in France/Germany/NL etc she wouldn't have had to go through any of this financial pain. Once she is a lawyer, she's fighting for better medical care.
https://www.gofundme.com/f/ugs82-amp...efRKCPScTLOzpU

Sucks when you have healthcare needs and can't afford it or have insurance companies/government fighting you so you can get coverage.

We have basic universal healthcare in Canada, but its not as universal as it may appear, her surgery would be covered here in BC at no cost to her, but once discharged her pain meds wouldn't necessarily be covered which can keep people from being able to take prescribed medications due to cost, government may provide some funding for basic functionality prostheses but wont necessarily be enough to cover in full and patient is responsible for paying any difference.

Healthcare can be really messed up in US/Canada, US being more extreme but even with universal basic coverage we can still have some pretty significant out of pockets costs in Canada still.

I donated to a couple go fund me in the past, I don't anymore though.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 28th 2020 at 8:41 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2020, 7:51 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

One was set up on my daughter's behalf after her accident three years ago. Due in no small part to the extraordinary generosity of the BE massive, it raised quite a lot of money. Some of that was used to cover immediate costs - travel, food and accommodation for hospital visits, renting wheelchair ramps, hospital beds and accessible taxis for weekend visits home from inpatient rehab, that sort of thing. Some of it was put towards the "nice to have" features in the modifications we had to make to our house - making things like the accessible shower and wheel-under prep space in the kitchen look less "institutional." Some went towards registrations and equipment purchases for sledge hockey, wheelchair basketball and wheelchair track. The rest was invested for her to draw down against future financial needs.

I've since had the opportunity to contribute to a couple of other local GoFundMe campaigns that I've come to hear about through the informal "newly acquired disability" network. Knowing how much of a difference it made to my morale to receive kind thoughts and financial assistance from people I only knew from here as a username and and avatar, if at all, I feel it's the least I can do to pass on the warm and fuzzies.
Old Jan 28th 2020, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

I would willingly set up a gofundme for an animal rescue which I support (one of many) but the animal rescue has about 4k followers and it is the same few folks who donate every time. She has to plead for donations on daily basis. It's based in Texas which is one of the worst in US for animals euthanasia. Many rescues ship dogs up north where there is not such huge numbers of dogs or shelters. I'll get off my soap box now.
Old Jan 28th 2020, 9:13 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by fulwood
I would willingly set up a gofundme for an animal rescue which I support (one of many) but the animal rescue has about 4k followers and it is the same few folks who donate every time. She has to plead for donations on daily basis. It's based in Texas which is one of the worst in US for animals euthanasia. Many rescues ship dogs up north where there is not such huge numbers of dogs or shelters. I'll get off my soap box now.
Poor dogs

We know a lady who goes to a high kill shelter in California and rescues as many dogs as she can each trip and brings them back to BC to try and find homes and foster homes. People who spend time and money to help dogs are wonderful people.

She rarely asks for money though, but does ask for supplies and food, anytime we see clearance dog food 50% or more off at Petsmart we buy a bag or 2, once they have 40 pound bags 90% off, and I told the manager why I was buying 20 bags and he took another 9% off, the cash register wouldn't let him give it away, but 99% discount was basically free.

Our dog wont kibble so anytime we end up with a free bag or coupons for kibble we give them to her as well.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 28th 2020 at 9:15 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2020, 11:36 pm
moi
Forum Regular

moi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond repute

I set up one for my neighbor's nineteen-year-old son that was killed in a head-on car collision a year ago. The fund raised just over $19,000.00. The family was very grateful that I did it for them because they said that they had never even thought about it. It covered all of his funeral expenses. Another "GoFundMe" was set up for his friend that was also killed alongside him, which also raised nearly $19,000.00 too. I had watched Vincent grow up on the condo complex where we live from a young age and it really hit the community and school hard. I just took it into my hands to ask his mom if she would like me to go ahead because nobody else seemed to want to bother them and she was very grateful for me doing it because she didn't know what to do I see her walking on the complex sometimes and know she will never be the same again and is very depressed. Some people did not want to put money to the "gofundme" because of the percentage they take, but offered checks instead.
Old Jan 29th 2020, 10:47 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

What would you use GoFundMe for?
Battenburg. (I already have tea).
Old Jan 29th 2020, 11:08 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Battenburg.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.