Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

What I like about America. [A politics-free thread]

What I like about America. [A politics-free thread]

Old Feb 27th 2017, 8:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What I like about America. [A politics-free thread]

Originally Posted by Steerpike
..... I looked at a honda recently and it had a nice big screen, even without the nav option.
I believe that Honda's "nice big screen" is driven by the rear view camera that is, I think, already (2017 models) standard on all Hondas.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 9:02 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
What about using sign posts to navigate or is that a silly idea?
They are ways to navigate between signposts. Directional signing is generally better in the UK than the USA, IMO but Northern Ireland isn't as built up as parts of England are and outside of the towns it's all just back roads. Signs can be separated by quite a bit so it's handy to have things like "follow that line of pylons going west", or "turn right at the old farmhouse next to the pub with blue walls", etc.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

Smartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond repute

I've only lived here for 6 months so I still have a lot more to come but so far in my amazing state of Idaho I love:

The scenery - This gets my every time. I commute about 25 minutes to College/University to see the big hills and mountains on my way. I haven't even been way out into the country fully yet but I've seen/heard it's beautiful!

My favorite thing though is hunting/shooting. Not necessarily the end game of it all but the opportunity to go out into the countryside, see bears, moose, elk you name it! It's great.

Idaho isn't really a tourist spot, but I must say, if you ever do get the chance to even pass through the countryside here, it is certainly a great place!
Old Feb 27th 2017, 9:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I believe that Honda's "nice big screen" is driven by the rear view camera that is, I think, already (2017 models) standard on all Hondas.
It's on the EX and above. All new cars (after 2018) are required to have rear view cameras I believe. the sub EX models may only have a 5 inch screen which is too small for android auto.

Backup cameras to be required in all new vehicles, starting in 2018 - LA Times

Last edited by mrken30; Feb 27th 2017 at 9:28 pm.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 10:31 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of infotainment systems, one of my graduate students did an internship on vehicle forensics and the ability to remotely hack into a car's infotainment system! The results were disturbing, to say the least - especially if you're a criminal. Sadly, the technology to prevent vehicle hacking is still playing catch up... but most modern systems are vulnerable to attack.

Ian
Old Feb 27th 2017, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

Smartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Sadly, the technology to prevent vehicle hacking is still playing catch up... but most modern systems are vulnerable to attack.
Ian
I think this is the case on most new technologies. Basic security is often implemented and thorough research comes later revealing worrying vulnerabilities.

Companies should really invest more in a pro-active approach rather than reactive. I've had the pleasure of working with some awesome infosec guys and they all say the same thing. There's always a way in.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 10:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Speaking of infotainment systems, one of my graduate students did an internship on vehicle forensics and the ability to remotely hack into a car's infotainment system! The results were disturbing, to say the least - especially if you're a criminal. Sadly, the technology to prevent vehicle hacking is still playing catch up... but most modern systems are vulnerable to attack.

Ian
Here are some instructions if you want to try yourself.

Hack your vehicle CAN-BUS with Arduino and Seeed CAN-BUS Shield
Old Feb 27th 2017, 11:05 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

It's on the EX and above. All new cars (after 2018) are required to have rear view cameras I believe. the sub EX models may only have a 5 inch screen which is too small for android auto.

Backup cameras to be required in all new vehicles, starting in 2018 - LA Times
I have a 2015 Honda Accord, not the EX model but it has the big dash screen and rear view camera. Not having the NAV system doesn't bother me since I have a Garmin GPS which I plug into the power outlet and attach to the windshield. From what I've seen of NAV systems on other cars I'll stick with my trusty Garmin any day
Old Feb 27th 2017, 11:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dc koop
I have a 2015 Honda Accord, not the EX model but it has the big dash screen and rear view camera.
How big is your dash screen?

Originally Posted by dc koop
Not having the NAV system doesn't bother me since I have a Garmin GPS which I plug into the power outlet and attach to the windshield. From what I've seen of NAV systems on other cars I'll stick with my trusty Garmin any day
Interesting that you say that, because the Honda uses a Garmin based nav.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 11:54 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Here are some instructions if you want to try yourself.
Thanks, but I don't really need instructions. I was the one who taught her!

Ian
Old Feb 28th 2017, 12:15 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

What about using sign posts to navigate or is that a silly idea?
Have you not seen the signposting around here?

Plus on the fun side, say if you hit Portland, ME and are heading to Fort Kent, there's a sign saying it's right up the interstate. Doesn't mention it's 9 hours further.
Old Feb 28th 2017, 12:44 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It is in a country without pubs.
That is true. I miss a good pint in an English pub. Although saying that, my local in England was crap and the beer sucked. I only went to see friends.

Last edited by tom169; Feb 28th 2017 at 1:17 am. Reason: Clarifying ... Good pints do exist here with a lot of craft beers
Old Feb 28th 2017, 2:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by tom169
That is true. I miss a good pint in an English pub. Although saying that, my local in England was crap and the beer sucked. I only went to see friends.
My local had some strange people turn up sometimes. Ozzy turned up a few times I was there. It is now flats.
Old Feb 28th 2017, 3:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting that you say that, because the Honda uses a Garmin based nav.
I've had three Honda/Acura GPS systems over the years and I've also owned standalone Garmin units; I can say they are extremely different.

I just read this: Garmin to Provide In-Dash Navigation for Honda Civic and CR-V Models in Europe, Russia, and South America ยป Garmin U.K. Press Releases - I think this change only showed up in 2015 or later models. Don't know who made their GPS before then, but it wasn't Garmin.
Old Feb 28th 2017, 4:21 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

How big is your dash screen?

Near enough 6 x 4 recessed into the dash panel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.