Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

What I like about America. [A politics-free thread]

What I like about America. [A politics-free thread]

Old Feb 25th 2017, 9:13 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What I like about America. [A politics-free thread]

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
For directional purposes, I believe an interstate is considered to 'start' at the easternmost terminus.
That doesn't sound right. On eastbound I-64 from Indiana to Kentucky, for example, you go from IN Exit 123 to Exit 1 in Kentucky, and at the east end of the state you go from KY Exit 191 to Exit 1 in West Virginia. This suggests that the start point is on the western border of each state and, by extension, the start of an interstate is at its westernmost terminus.

Ian
Old Feb 25th 2017, 5:29 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
That doesn't sound right. On eastbound I-64 from Indiana to Kentucky, for example, you go from IN Exit 123 to Exit 1 in Kentucky, and at the east end of the state you go from KY Exit 191 to Exit 1 in West Virginia. This suggests that the start point is on the western border of each state and, by extension, the start of an interstate is at its westernmost terminus.

Ian
I can't remember exactly, but in simplest terms an even numbered interstate has two destinations that are to the east and west of each other respectively. Sections may appear to go north-south but the general direction of travel is still east-west.

Or something along those lines. I think mile markers start at the western and southern entry points in a state though.
Old Feb 25th 2017, 5:34 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Junction numbering and mile marking is West -> East within states.

But, for you serious types, the more meta point to be made here is that the freeway runs in whatever direction you're currently travelling on it.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 12:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I just use a GPS so I never really take much notice of road numbers. This topic has been quite educational.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 5:13 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
I just use a GPS so I never really take much notice of road numbers. This topic has been quite educational.
My first job here was as a runner picking up checks and bids and running to the bank, etc. I didn't have a GPS at the time and my only reference was a printout from Microsoft Streets that my supervisor supplied me with, so I taught myself the numbering system from there. I found my way around pretty quickly, going from a drive to and from my wife's work and our son's school and the shops to all around the Chicago metro area quite fast.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 6:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
My first job here was as a runner picking up checks and bids and running to the bank, etc. I didn't have a GPS at the time and my only reference was a printout from Microsoft Streets that my supervisor supplied me with, so I taught myself the numbering system from there. I found my way around pretty quickly, going from a drive to and from my wife's work and our son's school and the shops to all around the Chicago metro area quite fast.
I have been using GPS from about 2003/4. I remember getting off the plane at Miami, plugging in my GPS into the rental car and driving for 1 1/2 to Everglades city. Made life so much easier than trying to use a map after a 9 hour or so flight.

You do become a bit dependent though I still carry paper maps but hardly ever use them.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 12:39 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Before GPS I used a thing called Map Quest. It wasn't anything as good as a GPS but it was better than having to figure out the route on an actual map.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 4:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dc koop
Before GPS I used a thing called Map Quest. It wasn't anything as good as a GPS but it was better than having to figure out the route on an actual map.
I was using autoroute (Streets & Trips) and printing out maps before then. Occasionally I would have my laptop with me. I remember the orange plasma screen and no battery. I think there was a version where you could use a GPS, but I never did.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 10:14 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
I was using autoroute (Streets & Trips) and printing out maps before then. Occasionally I would have my laptop with me. I remember the orange plasma screen and no battery. I think there was a version where you could use a GPS, but I never did.
I remember a phone call telling me to exit on 242B, make a right on Washington and a left on 32nd and continue to 2018 A street.
Always got there.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

I run google maps in the car if it's somewhere new. I'm pretty sure I could find my way home (in NC) by just heading in the right direction and finding some highways.

My wife is fantastic with the roads here, but likes to give directions by landmarks. Can be a bit frustrating at times.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 1:43 pm
I have a comma problem

I'll use the Navigation plug-in for maps on the phone when I'm going somewhere I've never driven before but usually once I've gone somewhere once, I can find my way back again without help next time. I'm not good at many things but I do have a reasonably well functioning sense of direction
Old Feb 27th 2017, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
One fun thing about Mapquest was that if it couldn't find an address it would direct you to a point in the northwest of the city, but not tell you that it didn't know and that it was just sending you to some kind of default point. I ended up in a few warehouse districts before I realised what was going on.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 3:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I use here maps when travelling. If you download the maps you don't need data. If you have data it will give you traffic and train information.

When using the web version, https://wego.here.com it's easy to get the map coordinates from the URL. I think there used to be an easy way to create a shot URL
Old Feb 27th 2017, 4:27 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Serious question: why do people get built in navigation in their car? It's generally enormously expensive, the interface is always about seven years out of date and in car systems doesn't work as well as free phone apps. Also, screen technology evolves so rapidly that after two years in-car screens look terrible. I rented a '17 Mustang last week with the latest Ford / Microsoft Sync stuff and the navigation was complete crap.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 4:32 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Serious question: why do people get built in navigation in their car? It's generally enormously expensive, the interface is always about seven years out of date and in car systems doesn't work as well as free phone apps. Also, screen technology evolves so rapidly that after two years in-car screens look terrible. I rented a '17 Mustang last week with the latest Ford / Microsoft Sync stuff and the navigation was complete crap.
I don't know. Perhaps in the earlier days of navigation technology when phones didn't have GPS it was more useful but now with Google Maps and Navigation you get real time traffic and up to date roads as and when you need it. If you have bluetooth, you can have the turn instructions play through the speakers as well (well, provided you have the stereo on 'bluetooth' mode in my car anyway).

I only ever had one GPS unit, a cheapo one my mate had bought for a road trip out here that he left with me as my house was his last stop before flying home. It was out of date basically as soon as he bought it. It worked OK for a year or two but my phone soon took over.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.