Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

What I like about America. [A politics-free thread]

What I like about America. [A politics-free thread]

Old Feb 24th 2017, 12:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What I like about America. [A politics-free thread]

Originally Posted by chawkins99
Apart from the occasional knob-head decision (Christie-gate), the US are much better at road work than the UK.

When we lived in Alabama, they re-surfaced a 20-mile stretch of I-65 and I never saw a single worker. It was all done at night. Each day, there would be a couple more miles of fresh black-top.

Sorry for the hint of politics in there.
In contrast, on a visit to the UK a few years ago, we needed to visit the US embassy for visa stamps. It took us 6 hours to get back to Birmingham, largely due to about 30 miles of contraflow on the M1. Not just cones. Solid steel barriers that must have taken weeks to construct before they even started on the actual repair work.
Watching road construction from my window here in Toronto. Six men stood around for about 30 mins...gazing at a hole. They walk away...come back each with a mug of coffee and stand gazing at the hole again. Then they move on to the next hole.

Oooops
Old Feb 24th 2017, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Watching road construction from my window here in Toronto. Six men stood around for about 30 mins...gazing at a hole. They walk away...come back each with a mug of coffee and stand gazing at the hole again. Then they move on to the next hole.
Well, I hope they had their shovels (to lean on).
Old Feb 24th 2017, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Oooops
Which reminded me of this:

Old Feb 24th 2017, 5:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chawkins99
Apart from the occasional knob-head decision (Christie-gate), the US are much better at road work than the UK.
Not in Boston, they're not....50 years for the big dig

There's always a mess with roadworks around here.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 6:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Oooops
The city was repainting the fire hydrants this week on our street, and in total to paint the hydrant there were 3 city trucks, and a total of 6 employees.

I like cheap gas, cheap food as well about the US, and greater variety of goods in stores oh and I like (at least in WA and California) that on freeways they use reflective paint that can be seen in the night and in the rain on the highways, and generally even have the reflective cat eyes making night driving so much nicer. (compared to BC in Canada)

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Feb 24th 2017 at 6:38 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 6:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

The paint they use for road marking here lasts about 6 months. The paint used in the UK seemed to last much longer.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 7:51 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Not quite, but close. There are a set of rules governing the numbering of auxiliary highways such that any 3 digit highway is associated with a 'main' interstate using the system XNN (where X is a number denoting a spur or a bypassm with odd numbers denoting spurs and even denoting bypasses/loops, and NN is the number of the main interstate, single digit highways being prefixed by a '0').

So in your example above, I-405 is a bypass of LA (denoted by the even '4') and connects to and from I-5 (denoted by the '05'). However, highway 522, if it were an interstate, would be a spur of I-22 except that there is no I-522.

Not forgetting that odd numbered interstates run north/south and even numbered interstates run east/west, just in case you ever forget where the heck you are.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 7:53 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
Portland has terrible public transport compared to almost anywhere in Europe. I cannot compare it to other parts of the US. It also has pretty bad congestion, 12th worse in the US. I guess that does mean there are at least 11 other places which are worse.

Study: Portland ranks 12th in traffic congestion in U.S. - KPTV - FOX 12.

I must just have different experiences of the systems.

The desert , mountains , forests and the coast are quite amazing. They also invented tater tots in Oregon.
Only 40th in the world. SF is 4th

Having said that, the study doesn't seem to have included any Indian cities - if it did, I'm guessing we'd be bumped down several places
Old Feb 24th 2017, 8:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Wondering how Vancouver made it so far down the list. Vancouver congestion is horrendous on a good day.

Other traffic studies have ranked Vancouver 2-4th place in North America, so hard to know which study/report is most accurate.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 8:08 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Not forgetting that odd numbered interstates run north/south and even numbered interstates run east/west, just in case you ever forget where the heck you are.
Yes, as do numbered US highways. They also conveniently numbered them so that there shouldn't be an interstate and US highway sharing the same number in the same state. So US-10 is in the north and I-10 in the south, for example.

That's also why there are no Interstates numbered 50 or 60, as they'd overlap with US routes 50 and 60.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 8:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

So the MA pike, I-90...is that odd because it's a branch, or broken because it's east/west?

The exit conventions is definitely a mess though.

Mile marker exit numbers make more sense, but that definitely doesn't happen around here. Maine, was a mixture of the two and a real mess as they were changing them around for a while.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bob
So the MA pike, I-90...is that odd because it's a branch, or broken because it's east/west?
I-90 runs from Boston to Seattle and follows the east/west convention of even numbers.

It's not a branch and it's not broken (at least not in that sense).
Old Feb 24th 2017, 8:37 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
That's just a section of a much larger road that runs west from Boston to Seattle. The number '90' denotes that it is a coast to coast highway (x0), in the north (9x), that ends at a destination to the west of where it starts (even number).

US highway 12, for example, is an east-west highway that runs from Detroit to Aberdeen, WA, but the portion in Illinois is almost exclusively north-south.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 11:58 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
...that ends at a destination to the west of where it starts (even number)...
I've been here for 12 years and only now are you telling me that I've been driving the wrong way down all those interstates?
Old Feb 25th 2017, 3:00 am
I have a comma problem

I've been here for 12 years and only now are you telling me that I've been driving the wrong way down all those interstates?
For directional purposes, I believe an interstate is considered to 'start' at the easternmost terminus.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.