Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

What I like about America. [A politics-free thread]

What I like about America. [A politics-free thread]

Old Feb 22nd 2017, 12:34 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What I like about America. [A politics-free thread]

Originally Posted by mrken30
That sounds like a great country, unfortunately I don't live there.
You should move!

Ian
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 4:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You should move!

Ian
It don't get much better than Oregon . Mild weather, great public transport and civic design in Portland and surrounding areas. Gorgeous coast.
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 7:27 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Libraries, both public libraries and academic ones (which are very often freely accessible to members of the public.)

In my small town in northern New York (100 sq miles, 10,000 population) there are actually three separate & independent public libraries, in each of the three villages. Largely dependent on volunteer effort and the wisdom & goodwill of local taxpayers (who are pretty poor by national standards.)

There's also an excellent college library, fully available to the public, with a collection of several million books and many thousands of periodical subscriptions.
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

The long growing season; watching the deer stroll through the front yard in to the woods at the back; having a much bigger yard than I did in the UK; picking blueberries; living in a small town and going to a well stocked library.
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 1:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like I need to not be living in the burbs of MA, as this huge country is clearly showing how it is not like that around here

I like PBS.

I like how affordable lobster is from a dodgy shack on the side of the road in Maine is and now much nicer it tastes compared to other places I have had it and the cold water Maine shrimp is lovely though I don't like how it's 60c a pound up there and $6 a pound down my way for the uncooked/shelled stuff.

I like that you can be a couple of hours from the mountains for hiking/skiing/biking and the coast. It being to expensive to enjoy any of those benefits local to me puts a digger in it, but it was much more doable when we lived in Maine.

Boobs on motorway billboards and other crazy adverts. Because the more bonkers they are, the more amusing they tend to me. Driving along and seeing a "god is all loving, go to this church", followed by "gays will burn in hell", then "$5 nude dances at the club", with a hospital maternityward advert, etc. You just don't get that kind of fun anywhere else I don't think.

The classic cars, especially the old muscle cars. They're great.
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 1:32 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Surely Blarney Island is the greatest attraction in the US.
I've not actually been there, so I wouldn't know
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 1:58 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I like that America is a large country geographically and that different climates can be found in so many of the states. Much like the EU, you can pick up sticks and move from the cold and long winters of the NE to the warm and balmy shores of Hawaii or head south the Keys and still be within the US. America has such a wide range of landscapes from mountains to desserts, great lakes, mighty rivers, two oceans and a gulf, and citizens and immigrants from every corner of the world. It is still young and vibrant and falls on its face as often as a toddler learning to walk but it continues to get up on its feet and stumbles ahead. One day she will find her steady feet and will stand tall. She lacks the old architecture and history of much of the world and like a child wants the new and the shiny. She will grow up one day.

Last edited by Rete; Feb 22nd 2017 at 2:00 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 1:59 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I've not actually been there, so I wouldn't know
You're missing out, my friend.
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 2:03 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
You're missing out, my friend.
Quite possibly. I don't really go out much though, unless I'm playing somewhere.
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Sounds like I need to not be living in the burbs of MA, as this huge country is clearly showing how it is not like that around here

I like PBS.

I like how affordable lobster is from a dodgy shack on the side of the road in Maine is and now much nicer it tastes compared to other places I have had it and the cold water Maine shrimp is lovely though I don't like how it's 60c a pound up there and $6 a pound down my way for the uncooked/shelled stuff.

I like that you can be a couple of hours from the mountains for hiking/skiing/biking and the coast. It being to expensive to enjoy any of those benefits local to me puts a digger in it, but it was much more doable when we lived in Maine.

Boobs on motorway billboards and other crazy adverts. Because the more bonkers they are, the more amusing they tend to me. Driving along and seeing a "god is all loving, go to this church", followed by "gays will burn in hell", then "$5 nude dances at the club", with a hospital maternityward advert, etc. You just don't get that kind of fun anywhere else I don't think.

The classic cars, especially the old muscle cars. They're great.
There's a sign in Alabama on the side of I-65 which reads "Go to church or the devil will get you."
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chawkins99
There's a sign in Alabama on the side of I-65 which reads "Go to church or the devil will get you."
I heard that the Devil went down to Georgia, not Alabama.
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 3:07 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by tom169
I heard that the Devil went down to Georgia, not Alabama.
I done told you once, you son of a bitch, I'm the best there's ever been ...
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 4:17 pm
Sasstronaut

livinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I done told you once, you son of a bitch, I'm the best there's ever been ...

* Real footage of the event.
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 4:20 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by livinginnyc
That's hard to come by. Good find
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 4:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
It don't get much better than Oregon . Mild weather, great public transport and civic design in Portland and surrounding areas. Gorgeous coast.
Portland has terrible public transport compared to almost anywhere in Europe. I cannot compare it to other parts of the US. It also has pretty bad congestion, 12th worse in the US. I guess that does mean there are at least 11 other places which are worse.

Study: Portland ranks 12th in traffic congestion in U.S. - KPTV - FOX 12.

I must just have different experiences of the systems.

The desert , mountains , forests and the coast are quite amazing. They also invented tater tots in Oregon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.