British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   What have you done that has made you feel better about yourself... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/what-have-you-done-has-made-you-feel-better-about-yourself-904020/)

Beaverstate Oct 1st 2017 11:08 am

What have you done that has made you feel better about yourself...

As the title says what have you done.
Me it is all physical, making myself get off my ass 6 days a week and run, not jog but run.
Most others will not be physical I understand..but what is floating your boat.

old.sparkles Oct 1st 2017 11:13 am

Re: What have you done that has made you feel better about yourself...

Originally Posted by Beaverstate (Post 12350850)
As the title says what have you done.
Me it is all physical, making myself get off my ass 6 days a week and run, not jog but run.
Most others will not be physical I understand..but what is floating your boat.

I started a degree more than a year ago, studying full time alongside full time work and doing okay. Most of the other students are younger than my youngest spark.

Beaverstate Oct 1st 2017 11:40 am

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 12350853)
I started a degree more than a year ago, studying full time alongside full time work and doing okay. Most of the other students are younger than my youngest spark.

Hey lady! how are you..I see you are always on the move.
Missing the old Country at all?

old.sparkles Oct 1st 2017 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Beaverstate (Post 12350868)
Hey lady! how are you..I see you are always on the move.
Missing the old Country at all?

All good here thanks. Don't really miss the country, but miss family and friends some times, and seem to spend hours on Facetime at the weekend.

tom169 Oct 1st 2017 1:42 pm

Working out how to fix things myself around this typical American home construction rather than call in an 'expert'. However, it generally consumes most of my weekends.

petitefrancaise Oct 1st 2017 2:33 pm

stopped trying to be a perfectionist.
stopped comparing myself to others.
started working at something I enjoy, found a sport I love, became more careful about whom I mix with.

oh, yes. Learned to have more faith in my abilities.... I can fix that bloody shower!

Pica Oct 1st 2017 2:45 pm

Many years ago I decided to say "No" to things I didn't want to do.
Having a bilateral blephoraplasty at 42 improved my self esteem no end.
Telling my husband our marriage was well and truly finished when I was 40.

WEBlue Oct 1st 2017 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by Beaverstate (Post 12350850)

Mine is all mostly physical too. After a grueling year of complicated family responsibilities (both good & not so good) that took a real toll on the husband and especially me, I'm focusing on getting outside for exercise every single day, rain or shine.

We walk every day, & try to get in a decent bike/kayak/hike on the weekends. It's not easy, in the middle of busy schedules, but somehow it's very healing....

zzrmark Oct 2nd 2017 12:23 am

Stella Artois, gallons upon gallons of Stella Artois. :beer:

Pulaski Oct 2nd 2017 2:27 am

Originally Posted by tom169 (Post 12350940)
Working out how to fix things myself around this typical American home construction rather than call in an 'expert'. However, it generally consumes most of my weekends.

Mine too. It's a rare occasion that I need to call a contractor to do something, and the list of things that I can repair myself continues to grow, as does my inventory of tools, to enable future repairs quickly and easily. This weekend it was the ride-on mower that I fixed, replacing the front spindle (axle).

I am working on wiring in new lights in the attic - well two are new and two are old florescent tube lights that I replaced with LED lights in the garage. The wiring is a two-way circuit as there is two hatches into the attic, and it will greatly help the contractor when we get our heating and AC system replaced, hopefully next year. ..... And THAT is something that I will be paying a contractor to do.

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 12350965)
..... oh, yes. Learned to have more faith in my abilities.... I can fix that bloody shower!

Yes you can! It ain't rocket science! I've met a few plumbers, and electricians, and AC techs, .... and none of them are rocket scientists. Some are good at their jobs, but most of what they do isn't especially challenging. :rolleyes:

dc koop Oct 2nd 2017 5:26 am

Did all the shopping this morning. Didn't forget a thing. Installed new brake pads on the wife's car, washed and waxed same. Put trash out on kerb for tomorrow's pick up.

What the Americans call a lot of useful shit.

Beaverstate Oct 3rd 2017 11:45 am

Originally Posted by WEBlue (Post 12351128)
Mine is all mostly physical too. After a grueling year of complicated family responsibilities (both good & not so good) that took a real toll on the husband and especially me, I'm focusing on getting outside for exercise every single day, rain or shine.

We walk every day, & try to get in a decent bike/kayak/hike on the weekends. It's not easy, in the middle of busy schedules, but somehow it's very healing....

Yeah!

Octang Frye Oct 3rd 2017 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by Beaverstate (Post 12352552)
Yeah!

Definitely physical activity. I used to run regularly, and if I went more than two days, I'd get really antsy.

Basically, anything productive/creative helps me feel good about myself.
And surprising people. We just had a tiki-themed house warming party.
Wife and I got took on a lot of Mai Tais and Zombies (probably too many), but when I put her to bed, I cleaned the house at 3am so that when she got up, and was feeling hung over, the dread of having a messy house wasn't there.

lansbury Oct 3rd 2017 6:46 pm

I was sympathetic when my son called Sunday to say his mother had had a heart attack. Made me feel at nearly 70 I was mellowing with old age.

petitefrancaise Oct 3rd 2017 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12351347)

Yes you can! It ain't rocket science! I've met a few plumbers, and electricians, and AC techs, .... and none of them are rocket scientists. Some are good at their jobs, but most of what they do isn't especially challenging. :rolleyes:

just had someone in to take a look at the irrigation in the garden. Now, tbh, I don't use it much at all. I honestly don't want to pay hundreds of $ to have a lush green garden so I'm in the process of putting in local drought resistant plants and I actually just wanted some of the irrigation tapped off or whatever you call it.
This guy tells me that I need "bulbs" replacing because the pressure is a bit low and the bill will be $700. :rofl: I don't think so.