Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

what has America allowed you to do?

what has America allowed you to do?

Old Jul 17th 2009, 3:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what has America allowed you to do?

The US allowed me to bring my UKC hubby here so we could be together!
Old Jul 17th 2009, 3:51 pm
LaCarteraEnLaCocina

Nits22 is a name known to allNits22 is a name known to allNits22 is a name known to allNits22 is a name known to allNits22 is a name known to allNits22 is a name known to allNits22 is a name known to allNits22 is a name known to allNits22 is a name known to allNits22 is a name known to allNits22 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Did you know there was a strange man sticking his head in your avatar?
Oh no! I hope my husband doesn't find out!!!
Old Jul 17th 2009, 6:04 pm
Searching for contentment

ukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond repute

If only positives are allowed (!) I would say:

Allowed me to have two cards - one that would be considered equivalent to a tank in the UK and the other that I'd never manage to afford or use in the UK most of the time (convertible).

Have a swimming pool in my back garden/yard/plot - whatever the hell we call it!

Actually start to enjoy sunshine having been a "stay indoors" person previously.

Take my business to a greater coverage level than the UK would have facilitated due to simple geographies.

Watch my kids integrate into a different culture and lifestyle and how that has opened their minds (some bad bits in that too, but am doing as told and only mentioning positives!)

Take advantage of cutting edge medical facilities when a loved one was taken seriously ill (boo the big bills tho)

Damn this thread, it's making me like the US................... I'm gonna quit whilst I'm still a grumpy expat at heart
Old Jul 17th 2009, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jul 17th 2009, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

melody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nice

America gave my CA dad a career in the Air Force; who then married a GA girl; and later had a son born in Panama...all applies to my UKC husband because it's mom who commiserates with my husband about being away from family and the look on husband's face when shown my brother's naturalization paperwork was priceless.

Speaking of yard and garden, it was my mom who knew what a hose pipe was when hubby was asking where one was .
Old Jul 18th 2009, 12:47 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

If Mark was responding to this thread, he would probably say that he likes the US because...

... he can get free refills at any restaurant.

... someone bags his groceries for him, even at the shabbiest supermarkets.

... SPF 50 sunscreen costs a pittance here compared to what it costs in the UK.

~ Jenney
Old Jul 18th 2009, 2:06 am
member of little note

made of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukintexas
If only positives are allowed (!) I would say:

Allowed me to have two cards - one that would be considered equivalent to a tank in the UK and the other that I'd never manage to afford or use in the UK most of the time (convertible).

Have a swimming pool in my back garden/yard/plot - whatever the hell we call it!

Actually start to enjoy sunshine having been a "stay indoors" person previously.

Take my business to a greater coverage level than the UK would have facilitated due to simple geographies.

Watch my kids integrate into a different culture and lifestyle and how that has opened their minds (some bad bits in that too, but am doing as told and only mentioning positives!)

Take advantage of cutting edge medical facilities when a loved one was taken seriously ill (boo the big bills tho)

Damn this thread, it's making me like the US................... I'm gonna quit whilst I'm still a grumpy expat at heart
no your not US! these are valid, I am really interested in what was good to other people, it so interesting, we moved here as although me and hubby are 2 of the most sarcastic people you can meet, when he got the job here, we where excited! yes excited by the thought that people can be upbeat, we didn't want our children automatically thinking every thing is crap
Old Jul 18th 2009, 7:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Realize my full potential at work, and find work that I love in company after company.

Learn to relax while driving.

Own a big house surrounded by oak trees and deer

Meet beautiful Asian women!

Develop a positive outlook on life (or perhaps, not have to fight constantly to maintain my inner positive attitude).
Old Jul 18th 2009, 11:56 pm
Forum Regular

Cat Whisperer is on a distinguished road

Having broadband internet instead of dial up. Mind you I don't know if broadband is readily available now in the UK. When I left, it was there but prohibitively expensive. Anyone know how much it costs now?
Old Jul 19th 2009, 1:51 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

have a garden big enough for the kids to run about in without hitting a fence in 15 seconds!

have that third kid

lots of opportunities for the kids to try different sports very easily - much more so than back in the UK
Old Jul 19th 2009, 3:23 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

nothing....but it did get my old passport a couple of stamps, in the middle and end for some reason...because stamping page 3 after the canada and japan trips would have been too hard.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 3:29 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cat Whisperer
Having broadband internet instead of dial up. Mind you I don't know if broadband is readily available now in the UK. When I left, it was there but prohibitively expensive. Anyone know how much it costs now?
a lot less than it does in many parts of the US...but FIOS does kick arse, for those lucky enough to get it here.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 3:32 am
Banned

Anthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud of

Live life.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by made of kent
I have a garden, sorry yard that is so big I can raise a veg patch without making the rest of the garden (sorry yard!) child unfriendly, so what are you doing in the US that you couldn't in the UK?
I wanting positive stuff
getting sunburned and bitten by mozzies every time I step outside, ummm, I have a bigger car for less money, don't know if that's good or not.

I've been to New Orleans for the weekend, couldn't do that in the UK
Old Jul 19th 2009, 3:59 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cat Whisperer
more internet users are on broadband in the UK (95.1% as of February this year) than in the USA (93.4%), If I understand this correctly.

and this says that by 2007 broadband was actually cheaper than dial up in the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.