Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

What Happens If Return Test Is Positive

What Happens If Return Test Is Positive

Old Feb 10th 2022, 2:52 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Happens If Return Test Is Positive

Originally Posted by Steerpike

Wouldn't medicare specifically exclude you if you had lifetime coverage of some sort? I know that when you reach medicare eligibility age, you can't go 'on' medicare if you are still covered by an employee package.

My wife has this, since she’s a retired state employee. (She worked in the NY prison system.) Medicare is her primary coverage, her NYS health insurance is secondary.

https://www.medicare.gov/supplements...iree-insurance
Old Feb 11th 2022, 9:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
My wife has this, since she’s a retired state employee. (She worked in the NY prison system.) Medicare is her primary coverage, her NYS health insurance is secondary.

https://www.medicare.gov/supplements...iree-insurance
Interesting! Must be a 'thing' with 'public' (state, etc) employees. Simply unheard of in the 'commercial' world, at least as far as I'm aware.
Old Apr 6th 2022, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Flying back to the UK in June and with all restrictions now gone and is being out and about a load, for the first time, I’m thinking I should probably get insurance for the trip home. Still can’t seem to find a definitive answer on what happens though if you test positive before the return trip home. I’m flying with BA (booked friends and family and have asked my mate’s fiancé who is crew if they have any idea). Do you get rescheduled once you are negative, have to book more tickets, covered by insurance? Anyone any ideas or seen some definitive advice anywhere? I work in the industry and am still bloody clueless about this.
Old Apr 6th 2022, 8:40 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I booked BA for September. As I understand it from someone who did test positive. You need to use "Manage My Booking" online and cancel the return trip for a voucher. When you are ready to fly you go back online and apply the voucher to a new booking at the current fare.

Trying to work out in that eventuality what is covered on my Chase CC travel insurance, or if I should buy separate cover. Hopefully the pre departure test for the US will have been cancelled by then.

Last edited by lansbury; Apr 6th 2022 at 8:45 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2022, 9:00 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally said I would wait to end of May or June to decide to go. However prices came down a bit and I then had enough Chase points for 2 Premium Economy BA tickets PDX - LHR. Plus the UK ended all testing requirements and that considerably reduced the risks and possible resulting costs. Thought bugger it worst that can happen is we get stuck in England having to live on beer and fish and chips, we're going
Old Apr 6th 2022, 10:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
I booked BA for September. As I understand it from someone who did test positive. You need to use "Manage My Booking" online and cancel the return trip for a voucher. When you are ready to fly you go back online and apply the voucher to a new booking at the current fare.

Trying to work out in that eventuality what is covered on my Chase CC travel insurance, or if I should buy separate cover. Hopefully the pre departure test for the US will have been cancelled by then.
I will be flying back to the US in late June and have been hoping the pre-departure test requirement is removed by then. My gut feeling is that the US is going to drag its feet on this, just as it did allowing non-citizens to enter. I know too many people who've got stuck by testing postive, including a bunch who were in a country that required quarantine in a hotel until they tested negative. My advice is to take some rapid tests with you so you'll at least have more warning if there is going to be an issue coming back. I'm also flying back using miles and my concern is that there won't be any frequent flyer availability at short notice. I also have Chase CC insurance. My interpretation is that it wouldn't be a covered loss unless you can convince a doctor that you are "quarantining for health reasons". Is denied boarding "quarantining"? Somehow I doubt they will interpret as such.
Old Apr 7th 2022, 12:54 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Didn't realize it could be that long, was thinking more in terms of 5 days.
If you stick with antigen tests then 5 days will be fine.

A PCR test will show up pos for weeks, not that a typical person would take one of those for a pre flight.
Old Apr 7th 2022, 3:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by excpomea
If you stick with antigen tests then 5 days will be fine.

A PCR test will show up pos for weeks, not that a typical person would take one of those for a pre flight.
I know a couple of people who’ve tested positive on an antigen tests for more than five days, one for over two weeks, but generally five days seems to be about the norm.
Old Apr 7th 2022, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I will be flying back to the US in late June and have been hoping the pre-departure test requirement is removed by then. My gut feeling is that the US is going to drag its feet on this, just as it did allowing non-citizens to enter. I know too many people who've got stuck by testing postive, including a bunch who were in a country that required quarantine in a hotel until they tested negative.
The airlines are pushing to have it removed, but of course that doesn't mean a lot. Think you are right, they will not rush to stop the pre-departure test.

My advice is to take some rapid tests with you so you'll at least have more warning if there is going to be an issue coming back. I'm also flying back using miles and my concern is that there won't be any frequent flyer availability at short notice.
Was planning on taking rapid tests to avoid a nasty surprise. At least using Chase points they are used with Chase and their travel company buy normal tickets from BA, so not having to worry about award availability.

I also have Chase CC insurance. My interpretation is that it wouldn't be a covered loss unless you can convince a doctor that you are "quarantining for health reasons". Is denied boarding "quarantining"? Somehow I doubt they will interpret as such.
Tough one that, as the UK has done away with the requirement to quarantine. It's just the US Government saying you can't travel.