Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

What exactly are you eligible for?

What exactly are you eligible for?

Old Jun 21st 2008, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute
Default What exactly are you eligible for?

If you've been away more than 3 years from the UK and then turn-up on the door step saying 'I wanna come home'! What exactly are you eligible for: NHS health - hospital cover, visits to the GP, schools, pension? Presumably there's 3 million forms to sign, does anyone know which one's they are?
Old Jun 21st 2008, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What exactly are you eligible for?

Originally Posted by ezzie
If you've been away more than 3 years from the UK and then turn-up on the door step saying 'I wanna come home'! What exactly are you eligible for: NHS health - hospital cover, visits to the GP, schools, pension? Presumably there's 3 million forms to sign, does anyone know which one's they are?
As far as school goes my 5 year old already has a place for September and we've been here almost 9 years. I just completed an application form which they mailed to Toronto and I called them last week and they confirmed he has a place. I pretty sure you can register with a doctor right away too.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 5:46 am
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

It helps to have a national insurance number, for identification reasons, and if you already have a European passport, or at least a UK birth certificate, that should be easy enough to obtain at any social security office, or whatever they're called now.

Once you have that number it should be easy enough to get treatment on the NHS if you need it, and you should be able to use that for most other purposes.

Changing your drivers license over should be very straightforward too, but it does depend which country you've been living in so I cannot really say for sure.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

And no unemployment benefit if you have approximately more than 3,000 pounds to your name. Unless you go as a refugee of course.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 12:45 am
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

I contacted NI and they told me there would be no issues with health care or child benefit. Just re-register with a doctors practice and sign up for the child benefit and away you go.

As Elaine said, contact schools directly for places, apart from Reception class intake, which has to be done through central admissions, in our area at least, up until Oct, then the schools take over the placings.
I was stressing over school places, but thankfully got my 8 yr old back in his old class, and my little one in Reception at the same school.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 6:29 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by backagen
It helps to have a national insurance number....Once you have that number it should be easy enough to get treatment on the NHS
Originally Posted by johnh009
And no unemployment benefit if you have approximately more than 3,000 pounds to your name. Unless you go as a refugee of course.
These sorts of answers show why it's necessary to use official resourses as well as seeking opinion.

Unemploment Benefit was replaced by Job Seekers Allowance years ago and, being contribution based, was never affected by capital. And it's even further back that £3k would have excluded payment of Supplementary Benefit.

National Insurance Numbers have never had anything to do with NHS treatment. Lack of one doesn't exclude you and their existence doesn't mean you qualify. They exist for the purposes of administering tax/NI records and benefits.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

I've just backpayed some Pension contributions and were pretty amazed when hot on its heels was a bill for 160 quid of NI contributions...I didn't think the two would be linked. I'm a bit confused...well, more than usual anyhow.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

LizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to all

I have been told that you need a NHS number for registering with a GP etc... your last number would be on your UK NHS records and can be easily updated. There is an NHS site that can provide you with all the details.

As one of the other posters said the NI number is for tax and pensions purposes.

You should also look at registering on the electoral roll as apparently this may help for any credit checks.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

bodmin13 will become famous soon enough

I returned last year, walked into the local school and they said yes my son can go there, just had to show them a birth certificate and it wasnt even his british certificate.
I was able to get child benefit and child tax credit, just had to give them my NI number and birth certificates.
The counsel however wouldnt allow me to go on the housing list because I was away longer than 5 years and back less than 2 years.
My husband gives me too much child support so I dont know much about other benefits other than im not eligible for them.
I went down to the doctors and asked to register at that practice, they said fill out the form and that was it, got my new NHS card end of story, no problems at all.

Good luck
Charlotte
Old Jul 8th 2008, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Your husband gives you "too much child support"...haven't heard of that happening before!!!
Originally Posted by bodmin13
My husband gives me too much child support so I dont know much about other benefits other than im not eligible for them.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

Your husband gives you "too much child support"...haven't heard of that happening before!!!
LOL yup, I get $1100 a month in child support which equates to roughly £550, the government says that the minimum amount i need to live on per week is £125, so I get too much. Personally I dont see how a family can survive on £125 a week when rent is not much less than that.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 9:13 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by LizaJane
I have been told that you need a NHS number for registering with a GP etc...
While it's certainly handy to have it's not essential - I've no idea what mine is and registering was a doddle. Same could be said for my, (US) Hubby and dual-citizen son. All we had to do was to fill in a couple of basic forms.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

So if he's paying in dollars, does that mean he's still in ?Oz/US whilst you're in the UK. I hear of so many women trapped overseas because they can't take their kids out of the country once the marriage has broken down.

LOL yup, I get $1100 a month in child support which equates to roughly £550, the government says that the minimum amount i need to live on per week is £125, so I get too much. Personally I dont see how a family can survive on £125 a week when rent is not much less than that.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 9:59 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

That £125 would be after paying rent. It's a while since I dealt with benefit rates but if income is too high for Income Support one can still get Housing Benefit for rent.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

So if he's paying in dollars, does that mean he's still in ?Oz/US whilst you're in the UK. I hear of so many women trapped overseas because they can't take their kids out of the country once the marriage has broken down.
Yes my husband is still in the US, he is active duty military. We had an agreement right from the start that if anything went wrong that me and the kids would go back to UK because its a better place for us, he never argued when we decided to go back. Actually we have since reconciled and he plans to immigrate over here once his term is over, so is all good. It's easier to be paid in $ because we both have current accounts with the same bank so we just do internal transfers each month.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.