Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

What did you get for Chrimbo?

What did you get for Chrimbo?

Old Dec 27th 2020, 11:48 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What did you get for Chrimbo?

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Could you please print us a new Prime Minister?

OH gave me a lovely copy of a Saxon neck thing/pendant, an Indian-design blue scarf, and a waxed canvas bag with nice leather on it. The Little Lion sent me chocolates and a load of incense from India. It smells like the 1970s in here - I'm half a step from getting one of those giant floor cushions, some little brass ashtrays shaped like pointy slippers, and sticking a candle in an empty Mateus Rose bottle.
Drooling now...
---
An ancillary present turned up at ours yesterday, courtesy of OH's knuffelcontact, Sis-In.Law.

I'm unaware of the origin of this gift, likely from family here trying to help us believe that we haven't entirely lost our "Swiss roots"...

A Glüewein kit: a bottle of (arguably shite) red wine, two mugs, some star anise, a couple of sticks of canelle, thoughtfully backed with some gingerbread people, and a packet of chocolate buttons.

Cool, all placed nicely on the kitchen worktop.

This morning it were obvious that the cats were far more into that stuff than we were; two dismembered gingerbread people on the kitchen floor, looking somewhat lost amongst a sea of chocolate buttons.

Last edited by BuckinghamshireBoy; Dec 28th 2020 at 12:10 am.
Old Dec 28th 2020, 12:03 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

OH gave me a lovely copy of a Saxon neck thing/pendant, an Indian-design blue scarf, and a waxed canvas bag with nice leather on it.
What beautiful and personal gifts, your OH obviously put a lot of thought into them. He's a treasure
Old Dec 28th 2020, 12:04 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
Drooling now...
---
An ancillary present turned up at ours yesterday, courtesy of OH's knuffelcontact, Sis-In.Law.

I'm unaware of the origin of this gift, likely from family here trying to help us believe that we haven't entirely lost our "Swiss roots"...

A Glüewein kit: a bottle of (arguably shite) red wine, two mugs, some star anise, a couple of sticks of canelle, thoughtfully backed with some gingerbread people, and a packet of chocolate buttons.

This morning it were obvious that the cats were far more into that stuff than we were; two dismembered gingerbread people on the kitchen floor. looking somewhat lost amongst a sea of chocolate buttons.
Cats are such bastards
Old Dec 28th 2020, 12:18 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
What beautiful and personal gifts, your OH obviously put a lot of thought into them. He's a treasure
Plus he cooks!
Old Dec 28th 2020, 12:20 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
Drooling now...
---

This morning it were obvious that the cats were far more into that stuff than we were; two dismembered gingerbread people on the kitchen floor, looking somewhat lost amongst a sea of chocolate buttons.

Well at least they didn't get into the wine, or all bets would have been off.
Old Dec 28th 2020, 4:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I was spared Christmas this year. God is gracious !
Old Dec 28th 2020, 4:49 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I've had a kind of a meta day today. I have spent it using my 3D printer to make accessories and mod parts for the 3D printer itself.
This thing looks like it is going to be fun, get my creativity an outlet, and they are as cheap as chips ($200~$250) considering what they do. If any one has been thinking of getting one, I do recommended them (at least after 2 days experience anyway).
Old Dec 28th 2020, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I've had a kind of a meta day today. I have spent it using my 3D printer to make accessories and mod parts for the 3D printer itself.
This thing looks like it is going to be fun, get my creativity an outlet, and they are as cheap as chips ($200~$250) considering what they do. If any one has been thinking of getting one, I do recommended them (at least after 2 days experience anyway).
How expensive are they to run - the resin or whatever that the stuff is made of?

I don't want one, but the Little Lion might, esp with his BIM module coming up at uni.

And do you have to get a special software package for your computer?

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Dec 28th 2020 at 10:43 am.
Old Dec 28th 2020, 12:40 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
I was spared Christmas this year. God is gracious !
Yeah we were too. Not exaggerating, we didn’t even know it was Christmas Day until 2pm when our neighbor came to the kitchen door, asking to borrow three potatoes, since she didn’t have enough for her Christmas dinner. Our public radio station is pretty civilized, they pretty much ignore Christmas, and we hadn’t been into town for a week.

I usually watch the Queen’s Christmas message, but I delay a few days before I see it.
Old Dec 28th 2020, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

A 60v dewalt chainsaw. Looking forward to using it on my relatively small back yard.
Old Dec 28th 2020, 2:15 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I bought myself an Xbox Series X (the new one, yes I managed to get ahold of one ) A new chainsaw and a new leaf blower.

The wife had lord-knows how much $$$ of her collectable snowglobes - oh and a new Honda Civic as an early present.

It's nice not having children, means you can act like a child yourself and buy yourself some nice things
Old Dec 28th 2020, 2:35 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

How expensive are they to run - the resin or whatever that the stuff is made of?

I don't want one, but the Little Lion might, esp with his BIM module coming up at uni.

And do you have to get a special software package for your computer?
TLDR
Filament is cheap
Software is free.

filament is $20 for 1kg. That mean it costs $20 to make as many objects that weigh 1kg. I am still not sure what that means. But my best bet is that it will be about 2 chess sets. ( 2 sets of black and 2 sets of white)

You need a "slicer" software. This takes an object and converts it to file the printer can understand. At the moment I just load the object and tell it to make the file.
The printer will probably come with slicer software. If not "Cura" is popular and free.
If you just want to download other people's objects, that is all you need. There are many online sources of free objects. If you want to make your own objects, you will also want a 3d program, again there are very capable and free options. Off the top of my head, both Blender and Truespace are free.
Old Dec 28th 2020, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung
TLDR
Filament is cheap
Software is free.

filament is $20 for 1kg. That mean it costs $20 to make as many objects that weigh 1kg. I am still not sure what that means. But my best bet is that it will be about 2 chess sets. ( 2 sets of black and 2 sets of white)

You need a "slicer" software. This takes an object and converts it to file the printer can understand. At the moment I just load the object and tell it to make the file.
The printer will probably come with slicer software. If not "Cura" is popular and free.
If you just want to download other people's objects, that is all you need. There are many online sources of free objects. If you want to make your own objects, you will also want a 3d program, again there are very capable and free options. Off the top of my head, both Blender and Truespace are free.

Helpful, thank you. It may be a birthday present.

Old Dec 28th 2020, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234

I usually watch the Queen’s Christmas message, but I delay a few days before I see it.

You didn't miss much there. "You've all done very well" and "Things will get better" about sum it up.
Old Dec 28th 2020, 3:08 pm
Concierge

You didn't miss much there. "You've all done very well" and "Things will get better" about sum it up.
I thought 'you are not alone' was a nice, regal touch. Not sure how all the people who actually are alone felt about it though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.