Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

What did people do all night before the internet?

What did people do all night before the internet?

Old Sep 12th 2011, 11:12 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What did people do all night before the internet?

I listened to the radio, which seems so archaic now in retrospect.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 2:26 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Twenty years ago, I was 12. I hadn't quite got to the sitting up all night stage then but I used to be up late playing the computer. At the time I had a CPC, so a lot of my time was spent waiting for the games to actually load. I remember getting up early on a Saturday for more playing time too.

Once I upgraded to an Amiga and discovered Championship Manager that was pretty much it though, but it was Civilization that I first played right through the night until sunrise during the summer. CM, Civ and Sensible World of Soccer were my usuall sources of entertainment when I wasn't having one off the wrist.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 3:00 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Twenty years ago...I was on the internet. My older brother was an early adopter and used BBS chats, and then we got "internet" via Prodigy. They felt that email was a limited resource so we got 30 free ones a month and then they wanted to charge 25 cents per email sent.

That didn't last too long. Nor, for that matter, did Prodigy.

Pre-internet, I remember reading, listening to the radio, and watching late night tv. My brother loved Saturday Night Live so I saw quite a bit of that too.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ja5on
I don't get the people that are saying that they had face to face convos at that hour....You used to go knock on your friends doors at 2am for a chat?

I do like to talk to people more than txt/IM but sometimes it's hard with different time zones and work ect.

I remember being sad when I would get up too early in the morning and the cartoons hadn't started and I had to watch ceefax!
I know that seems odd - but I had a friend whose window I could see from my window, and it was lit up like mine because both of us were night-owls, it was a wonderful, warm feeling to be able to trot across the street, creep up the stairs (so as to not wake others in the building) and end up having a pot of coffee while we discussed the problems of life that were keeping us awake. Each of us felt comfortable enough with the other to do that and I really miss it.

Oh, and we didn't have Ceefax - still don't, damn it!
Old Sep 12th 2011, 3:48 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
Oh, and we didn't have Ceefax - still don't, damn it!
Ceefax, now there's a blast from the past ! I used to love getting up early on a Sunday morning, or during school holidays in the '80s to watch Pages from Ceefax and Test Card F. Even now when I hear that cheesy smooth jazz stuff they used to play on the TV or in a shop, it raises a smile . . .

Funny, once I had a TV that actually picked up Ceefax, it wasn't as fun. Bloody handy before I had the internet though for footy news and the like though.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 4:41 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avanutria
Twenty years ago...I was on the internet. My older brother was an early adopter and used BBS chats, and then we got "internet" via Prodigy. They felt that email was a limited resource so we got 30 free ones a month and then they wanted to charge 25 cents per email sent.

That didn't last too long. Nor, for that matter, did Prodigy.

Pre-internet, I remember reading, listening to the radio, and watching late night tv. My brother loved Saturday Night Live so I saw quite a bit of that too.
Yeah, we had it because of my husband's job. That's how he worked from home during computer "emergencies" at the hospital he worked for. I wasn't really interested in it....just the games and word processing.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Ceefax, now there's a blast from the past ! I used to love getting up early on a Sunday morning, or during school holidays in the '80s to watch Pages from Ceefax and Test Card F. Even now when I hear that cheesy smooth jazz stuff they used to play on the TV or in a shop, it raises a smile . . .

Funny, once I had a TV that actually picked up Ceefax, it wasn't as fun. Bloody handy before I had the internet though for footy news and the like though.
When my OH called me from England, he'd tell me about news items he'd read on Ceefax - expecting to have a bit of a discussion about it. Trouble was, it was stuff we hadn't heard about yet (and wouldn't for another couple of days, if at all). I'd then often have information that wasn't yet general knowledge here, which was really cool because, to some folks, I appeared to be able to tell the future.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 6:25 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
When my OH called me from England, he'd tell me about news items he'd read on Ceefax - expecting to have a bit of a discussion about it. Trouble was, it was stuff we hadn't heard about yet (and wouldn't for another couple of days, if at all). I'd then often have information that wasn't yet general knowledge here, which was really cool because, to some folks, I appeared to be able to tell the future.
Ceefax is (was? Please tell me it still is) brilliant and anyone who says otherwise is probably still inside a bollock.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 7:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Ceefax is (was? Please tell me it still is) brilliant and anyone who says otherwise is probably still inside a bollock.
I thought it got switched off? I used to play the crappy word games and loved it.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 7:33 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Bob
I thought it got switched off? I used to play the crappy word games and loved it.
Next year, apparently. It is transmitted with the analogue signal, and once UK TV goes digital in 2012, that's it for Ceefax

I'm properly sad now, actually. That was a huge chunk of my childhood, watching Ceefax waiting for children's TV to come on before BBC even had continuous daytime TV, let alone went 24 hour.

I suppose they don't do The Learning Zone on BBC2 either anymore?
Old Sep 12th 2011, 9:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
I think bookworm might be the term
Bibliophile
Old Sep 12th 2011, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

Me & Girlfriend of the time would watch the idiot box , seems like there wasn't so much idiotness on it back then, or go to the pub for a sociable beer. Sometimes followed by a walk on the forest - lived in the New Forest at the time.

Last edited by Englishman43; Sep 12th 2011 at 11:05 pm.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
20 years ago, I was 13. I was probably on the phone talking to my friends or reading a book. I really am a bookophile (word?) - my parents grounded me from reading when I didn't behave - so I had to sneak and read sometimes.
I got in so much trouble when I was a young that my parents would take away my TV, Stereo and Playstation and the only time I was allowed out was to go to the library or walk the dogs.....So by no fault of my own I ended up reading a ton of books between the ages of 14 and 16.

Also I had forgot about bamboozle!

Check out the wiki!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bamboozle
Old Sep 13th 2011, 12:27 am
Forum Regular

Lola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really nice

20 years ago?.....Tuesdays and Saturdays ballroom dancing. Thursdays, badminton. Wednesdays and Sunday mornings, swimming. Cleaning, ironing on Mondays and on Fridays the gym with BF followed by a curry and bottle of wine each in my house. Sunday evening I would meet my married lover for an hour or two of aerobic excercise Bliss!