What car to buy

Old Oct 23rd 2020, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What car to buy

Originally Posted by civilservant
I missed the 'take it back to the UK' part when I read the OP.

Yeah you really don't want a large pickup truck on UK roads.
Me too. You want to ignore my suggestion of a Challenger as well LOL. I’d also ignore the latest Mustang as you can buy those back home. I’d go either early model mustang, or if you plan to use it as a daily, 2013 or 14 (my personal favourite years of production). There is a bit of a scene for Mustangs in the UK, so I don’t think parts would be impossible to get.
Old Oct 23rd 2020, 3:46 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burg3r
no I’d be open to a truck but my wife is just under 5ft so it needs to be suitable for her to get in and drive on occasions. I’m wanting something that’s a little different as much for quirkiness than anything else
Under 5ft might be pushing it for anything fullsize or lifted in terms of visibility, my wife is 5'3 and refuses to drive my truck because it's too big, though I consider that a benefit as she treats her car like a rubbish bin.

Are you planning on keeping the vehicle long term in the UK or selling it as soon as you get there? If you're selling it then we don't have to worry about how practical it will be in the UK, just whether they'd be anyone willing to buy it, but if you want to keep it then you'll already be dealing with the issues that a left hand drive vehicle in the UK suffers from (drive thrus, toll booths, people parking too close to driver's side door etc) that adding to that size and difficulty to get parts might just make it unusable.
Old Oct 23rd 2020, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

Burg3r is an unknown quantity at this point

I hadn’t been prepared for the response. I am not set on taking anything back to the Uk it’s more that I’m entitled to it and tax/shipping etc isn’t an issue.
If it wasn’t to go back to the Uk with me I’d just lease and get something daft.

I am happy with rwd rather than a 4x4 the guy I replaced had a mustang 2008 on winter tyres and didn’t have any major event in it.

more after something that I wouldn’t get the opportunity to drive in the UK
Old Oct 23rd 2020, 7:02 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... I am not set on taking anything back to the Uk it’s more that I’m entitled to it and tax/shipping etc isn’t an issue. ....more after something that I wouldn’t get the opportunity to drive in the UK
I problem I see with any anwers to your question is that there is little or no overlap between "what would be in the slightest bit practical to drive in the UK" and "what you wouldn't have the opportunity to drive in the UK", and honestly I think the UK has a wider variety and more choices of unusual low-volume cars than the US does. There is no US Morgan or US Caterham, and the Atom is made in the US under license.
Old Oct 23rd 2020, 7:31 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

I hadn’t been prepared for the response. I am not set on taking anything back to the Uk it’s more that I’m entitled to it and tax/shipping etc isn’t an issue.
If it wasn’t to go back to the Uk with me I’d just lease and get something daft.

I am happy with rwd rather than a 4x4 the guy I replaced had a mustang 2008 on winter tyres and didn’t have any major event in it.

more after something that I wouldn’t get the opportunity to drive in the UK
In which case I'd probably lease the daft thing now, then just before going back buy the more practical UK vehicle and ship it.
Old Oct 23rd 2020, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I problem I see with any anwers to your question is that there is little or no overlap between "what would be in the slightest bit practical to drive in the UK" and "what you wouldn't have the opportunity to drive in the UK", and honestly I think the UK has a wider variety and more choices of unusual low-volume cars than the US does. There is no US Morgan or US Caterham, and the Atom is made in the US under license.
I would love to see someone in upstate NY driving an Atom as their DD (particularly in January/February).

You might consider an F-150 Raptor. Fun and practical in one.
Old Oct 23rd 2020, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I wouldn't buy a muscle car to drive somewhere as snowy as upstate NY. You do see a few of them in Anchorage, but I suspect people moving here from Texas bring them with them. I will freely admit I haven't tried to drive one on snow myself though.

I also personally wouldn't want to take a car from here back to the UK. You (or the person you sold to) would be driving a left-hand drive car on the left-hand side of the road. Most people don't want that.
Old Oct 23rd 2020, 8:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe go for something like a Hummer H2 or 3, I like Toyota FJs . There is a lot of choice of 4x4 vehicles that generally are not available in the UK. Cadillac escalade are also nice luxury cars that are not too expensive.
Old Oct 23rd 2020, 8:21 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chawkins99
I would love to see someone in upstate NY driving an Atom as their DD (particularly in January/February). ....
When I get a convertible 2-seater I will drive it with the top down at all times, 12 months of the year, unless it is raining heavily; admittedly I don't live in upstate NY.
Old Oct 23rd 2020, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
Maybe go for something like a Hummer H2 or 3, I like Toyota FJs . There is a lot of choice of 4x4 vehicles that generally are not available in the UK. Cadillac escalade are also nice luxury cars that are not too expensive.
That's some, er, unconventional advice for a commuter vehicle. I agree with the second sentence, at least. On the first, those vehicles were discontinued in 2009, 2010 and 2014. I have no idea why anyone would want a Hummer, but I guess some do. On the third, even base model Escalades cost $75k, and they still cost plenty when used.

Old Oct 23rd 2020, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by Owen778
That's some, er, unconventional advice for a commuter vehicle. ..... On the first, those vehicles were discontinued in 2009, 2010 ..... I have no idea why anyone would want a Hummer, but I guess some do. ....
Quite! They were basic GM vehicles sold at stupid price when all you got was different body panels, smaller windows, and various "decorative" non-functioning plastic moldings attached to the outside. They were pure appearance over substance.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 23rd 2020 at 8:53 pm.
Old Oct 23rd 2020, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

If I lived in upstate NY and wanted to buy an older/classic type car that I intended to keep long term I would go to southwest to buy. Texas, Arizona, New Mexico.
Old Oct 23rd 2020, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by ddsrph
If I lived in upstate NY and wanted to buy an older/classic type car that I intended to keep long term I would go to southwest to buy. Texas, Arizona, New Mexico.
I wouldn't, I'd use Carvana, unless I actually wanted to go on a car shopping trip to the SW.
Old Oct 23rd 2020, 9:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddsrph
You may be able to pick up a cheap Katrina car in Texas. But I would go with Pulaski's recommendation and use carvana
Old Oct 23rd 2020, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30
You may be able to pick up a cheap Katrina car in Texas. ...
I believe Ddsrph was talking about buying cars owned/ used in a dry environment with little or no contact wth road salt, not buying a cheap, potentially damaged, car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.