What Car??

Old Jul 21st 2009, 1:39 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Car??

Originally Posted by Englishtart
How can you hate an armadillo?

Have to admit though, I miss my Pacifica...now that was a lovely ride!
Yes I nearly bought one 2 years ago but too big for me, fantastic family car loads of space and beautiful inside.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 1:43 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

I'd probably go for a Scion tC for a smaller car so long as I didn't plan on using as a family vehicle as it's only a 2 door. Prius and Honda Insight both tempt me as I like the idea of rarely paying for gas, alas the other half of my brain also wants a big truck as I also like the idea of not being killed by the maniacs in trucks around here.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 3:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Yes I nearly bought one 2 years ago but too big for me, fantastic family car loads of space and beautiful inside.
Yeah, sometimes I think we were crazy to trade it in for the Prius, that was our first Brand new car with ALL the bells and whistles, even had butt warmers in the seats

But, the Prius is a great little car for running around locally, which is pretty much all I do!
Old Jul 21st 2009, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

Dewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MandyNi
We just want something for a run around, smallish and economical
If you can wait until next spring, depending if the cash for clunkers program will be funded after the end of this year, you might want to test drive the Ford Fiesta I saw one of these in England in April and it's miles better than the 1990 Fiesta I bought for my first car years ago.

If economy is important, and you want an alternative to a hybrid, VW will be launching a diesel Golf to the US market probably this fall. You'll have to balance the higher purchase cost against the fuel economy, you won't save money unless and until you keep it for a long time.

Do test drive the Honda Fit for size - my size 12 feet hit the clutch and brake pedal at the same time in the manual.

If low purchase price is important, you want to buy new, & get a decent warranty, the Hyundai Accent GS 3-door with manual transmission and popular equipment package (air-conditioning) is yours for $12,670 MRSP. Cheapest new car with air-con in America, comes with a 10 year warranty, take off the $1,500 Hyundai rebate, and the $4,500 cash for clunkers government discount, and you're laughing. It'll be worth bugger all as a trade in but you wouldn't care about depreciation when you've saved 50% of the purchase cost new.

Last edited by Dewey; Jul 21st 2009 at 5:04 pm.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
I have a Mazda 3 that looks exactly like that....it's a great car.
I wonder what kind of deal people are getting these days?
I was offered $500 under invoice online, for a Mazda3, 5 Door Grand Touring.
probably could get a better price.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Macca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MandyNi
Ok second question today on cars. M. is thinking of taking up the Cash for Clunkers (or Bangers 'n' Cash as we're calling it) deal and trading in one of his many (don't ask ) but old cars.

We've mentioned the Mini Clubman and he's also thought about a Honda Fit or Civic. Thing is we just want something for a run around, smallish and economical. Given he's got so much on with work and moving right now I said I'd do some rummaging around and see what's out there. Only problem is of course I'm just familiar with mainly European manufacturers and versions of cars.

Soooo just wondering if you had to buy a smaller car, reliable, good mileage etc. what would you consider?

Thanks in advance

Mandy
What about a Robin Reliant or Itchifani 500?
Old Jul 21st 2009, 8:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by surly
The Fit is highly rated by Consumer Reports, but the Mazda3 5 door has more Pizazz.

http://www.imagecows.com/uploads/282...zda3-Axela.jpg
The fit is surprisingly massive inside...but it looks like a milk carton, I'd go with the Mazda out of the two...
Old Jul 21st 2009, 8:56 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Optimus Prime
A Mini Clubman?????

<<<<<<SLAPS FOREHEAD>>>>>>
Ignore the Irish Pikey ...she would try towing a cubic yard of
Tarmac with it ..
Old Jul 21st 2009, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
The fit is surprisingly massive inside...but it looks like a milk carton, I'd go with the Mazda out of the two...
I'd guess there won't be a better time to buy a car than now. Plenty of deals and incentives going.

My wife has her eye on the Acura TSX.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 11:51 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Massive? Really?
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 12:03 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Massive? Really?
Surprisingly so....I know someone who got one, quite a few tall people could fit in it quite well...mind you, the driver wasn't that tall.

Quite comfy and one of the cheaper Honda's to insure.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 12:51 am
UK>Bay Area, CA>UK

Chrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud of

I'm seriously looking at the mazda 3 - although undecided over the hatchback / wagon or the sedan.. any thoughts on whether this makes a difference to internal space / headroom (hubby is 6'3")?

Also I have been looking at Edmunds.com and they do a "true Market Value" thing on their website which compares what you are looking for, for sale in your area vs Invoice price.. might be worth printing off and haggling with the dealer.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure, had mine since 06, but they've consistently had good factory deals on them.

The fact they have now just released the majorly revised new (2010) model means there will be some outstanding deals either already here or coming on the outgoing models....
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chrissywissy100
I'm seriously looking at the mazda 3 - although undecided over the hatchback / wagon or the sedan.. any thoughts on whether this makes a difference to internal space / headroom (hubby is 6'3")?

Also I have been looking at Edmunds.com and they do a "true Market Value" thing on their website which compares what you are looking for, for sale in your area vs Invoice price.. might be worth printing off and haggling with the dealer.
Went (albeit briefly) through the same thought process when we got ours. IMO, hatchback the far better car - more practical (unquestionably), more sporty looking (subjective) in the general consensus of opinion. Also, the hatch has different (better) exterior trim. I'd hazard a guess that rear headroom is probably also better in the hatch.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 4:34 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

We're buying a Chevrolet Suburban. Seats 7 (5 if heavily armed and with body armor), can carry a boat, and can run over yuppie larvae if they get in the street. It's not exactly fuel efficient, but I figured hell, by the time I buy my next car it will be $6 a gallon so might as well enjoy it while I can.

Slightly more serious, the Ford Fiesta was the thing that jumped to mind when I saw your post. They are literally about to introduce it nationwide and you will get some pretty good mileage with a bit of comfort. I thought BMW was also introducing a diesel that has pretty impressive stats as well.

I've thought of a Prius but the ROI at this point wasn't there for me. The added up front cost wasn't worth the fuel savings, though the next gen of hybrids might be interesting. I'm also watching the new Tesla sedan. That would be kind of cool.

Of course, I've seen guys drive Corvettes via 'hyper-miling' techniques that have outdone jack rabbit start/stop, lead footed Prius drivers. Much of your fuel efficiency comes from proper technique, the subtleties of which are lost on most drivers unfortunately. I think if you get a decent small car and then take a look at some hyper-miling skills you'll probably exceed the fuel efficiency goals you've set for yourself pretty easily.

Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.