British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   What was the biggest culture shock when you moved to the USA? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/what-biggest-culture-shock-when-you-moved-usa-888723/)

SultanOfSwing Dec 15th 2016 2:03 pm

Re: What was the biggest culture shock when you moved to the USA?

Originally Posted by livinginnyc (Post 12129774)

Wait, you did your driving test in the Millenium Falcon?

Originally Posted by livinginnyc (Post 12129774)
I got the '411' on flag law from my grandparents-in-law when we visited... Keep the flag illuminated at night, the US flag *must* be above all others on a pole, flag must be taken down and brought in when it rains and you must never fly it if its been damaged. I was asked what the protocol on handling a Union Jack...

Isn't the protocol for the Union Jack just to wave miniature ones at the Queen or on Last Night of the Proms?

Anian Dec 15th 2016 2:06 pm

Some people think the flag code is a law.

Others just buy old glory napkins to wipe the barbecue sauce off their faces on the 4th of July.

mrken30 Dec 15th 2016 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12129760)
That whole thing was always weird to me, like we'll all die if someone throws an old flag in the bin. Or "don't let it touch the ground", as if the world will come to an end if a bit of cotton touches the earth from whence it came :blink:.

You heathen, don't throw them in the bin, recycle them as rags.

livinginnyc Dec 15th 2016 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12129778)
Wait, you did your driving test in the Millenium Falcon?

I wish, then I could have wowed him into silence by doing the Kessel Run in 11 parsecs.

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12129778)
Isn't the protocol for the Union Jack just to wave miniature ones at the Queen or on Last Night of the Proms?

I said something along the lines of 'it's machine washable if it gets dirty'. To say he was less than impressed was an understatement.

I agree with others though, I respect what the flag is - but think all the protocol around it is very OTT.

SultanOfSwing Dec 15th 2016 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by Anian (Post 12129779)

Others just buy old glory napkins to wipe the barbecue sauce off their faces on the 4th of July.

I'm sure there is someone, somewhere who is at this very moment farting into a pair of Stars and Stripes underpants.

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 12129780)
You heathen, don't throw them in the bin, recycle them as rags.

We used to have an old one knocking about at work because nobody could be arsed doing anything to dispose of it. I never thought to tell the mechanics in the shop to grab it ...

At that same place, next to the US flag (and on the correct side, height etc as per the VFW website I found to verify it), we used to fly a Mexican flag because just about all the guys on our crews were Mexican, so it was a nice gesture to include them. I shit you not, people would come into the building to complain at our (Hispanic) receptionist that all they could see when approaching from the north on that road was the Mexican one. That's what prompted me to check the 'flag rules', so she had a verified answer and could tell them to do one.

People actually stopped on their journey to wherever it was they were going to come into a building they had no prior need to come into just to tell someone there was a Mexican flag in the grounds. No shit sherlock :blink:

SultanOfSwing Dec 15th 2016 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by livinginnyc (Post 12129782)
I wish, then I could have wowed him into silence by doing the Kessel Run in 11 parsecs.

You could have tried that anyway, just for a laugh.

I said something along the lines of 'it's machine washable if it gets dirty'. To say he was less than impressed was an understatement.

Of course, Union Jacks never get dirty because we never feel the need to get them out all the time and rub them in everyone's faces.

I agree with others though, I respect what the flag is - but think all the protocol around it is very OTT.

The protocol is ridiculous but blind sycophancy always did bother me a bit.

livinginnyc Dec 15th 2016 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by Anian (Post 12129779)

On holiday in Mexico I saw an (American) literally lose his s*** at another (American) for 'sitting' on his flag, being the ultimate insult (the guy was wearing US flag swim shorts).

The second guys response was laughing hard and then to take it up with the manufacturer and kindly GTFO.

mrken30 Dec 15th 2016 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12129783)

People actually stopped on their journey to wherever it was they were going to come into a building they had no prior need to come into just to tell someone there was a Mexican flag in the grounds. No shit sherlock :blink:

THey obviously have time to deal with the important things in life

The funny thing with the US flag is they stole the colours from the English, or maybe it was the French flag. You would have thought they could have been more original

SultanOfSwing Dec 15th 2016 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by livinginnyc (Post 12129789)
On holiday in Mexico I saw an (American) literally lose his s*** at another (American) for 'sitting' on his flag, being the ultimate insult (the guy was wearing US flag swim shorts).

The second guys response was laughing hard and then to take it up with the manufacturer and kindly GTFO.

Technically, the guy in question was sitting *in* the flag :lol:

What a ridiculous thing to do, to come up to someone you don't know and yell at them for their choice of beach wear, though.

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 12129792)
THey obviously have time to deal with the important things in life

I can guarantee they all had Mexican landscaping crews doing their yard work. Someone who has the mindset that it is OK to come off the street and complain at a receptionist about a flag she has no control over is not the kind of person that is willing to cut their own grass.

livinginnyc Dec 15th 2016 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12129786)
You could have tried that anyway, just for a laugh.

And that's how I got arrested and sent to the psych ward your honour :lol:

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12129795)
Someone who has the mindset that it is OK to come off the street and complain at a receptionist about a flag she has no control over is not the kind of person that is willing to cut their own grass.

Probably something about misguided sense of civic duty?

SultanOfSwing Dec 15th 2016 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by livinginnyc (Post 12129798)
And that's how I got arrested and sent to the psych ward your honour :lol:

Would that even really be considered weird in New York, though?

Originally Posted by livinginnyc (Post 12129798)
Probably something about misguided sense of civic duty?

Who knows? I do know that our receptionist did get pretty upset with it, but once we had the verification that everything was being displayed properly, we were able to shut it down pretty quickly and eventually people stopped coming in.

livinginnyc Dec 15th 2016 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12129799)
Would that even really be considered weird in New York, though?

I'll let Tina Fey handle this one on Star Wars and NYS weird.
http://i.imgur.com/dtBdVtC.jpg

SultanOfSwing Dec 15th 2016 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by livinginnyc (Post 12129802)

:lol:

mrken30 Dec 15th 2016 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by livinginnyc (Post 12129802)

:goodpost:
I wonder if that would work for me

RoadWarriorFromLP Dec 15th 2016 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by livinginnyc (Post 12129789)

I can only hope that a guy who would wrap himself in the flag in that manner practices good hygiene.

When I see a large US flag, I usually presume that there is a government building or car dealership underneath it.