Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

What was the biggest culture shock when you moved to the USA?

What was the biggest culture shock when you moved to the USA?

Old Dec 15th 2016, 4:03 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What was the biggest culture shock when you moved to the USA?

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
When I see a large US flag, I usually presume that there is a government building or car dealership underneath it.
Can confirm. There's a car dealership in Madison, WI that has the biggest flag I have ever seen flying over it.

Also, a Popeye's out by me has a huge one too.
Old Dec 15th 2016, 4:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

When I see a large US flag, I usually presume that there is a government building or car dealership underneath it.
Both are after your money
Old Dec 15th 2016, 4:05 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
The American dream
Old Dec 15th 2016, 4:08 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livinginnyc
the US flag *must* be above all others on a pole
State flags and other banners should be below the US flag. But the flags of other nations should be flown at the same level.

I'm not a stickler for flag etiquette, but I have to admit that it annoyed me to see at the D-Day Museum in Bayeux that the French flag was being flown above the flags of the other nations. At least from a US perspective, that would suggest that the French believe that they are superior to the US, UK, Canada, Poland, etc., although I understand that was probably not the case and that their intention was to express some gratitude for those who liberated them.
Old Dec 15th 2016, 4:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

State flags and other banners should be below the US flag. But the flags of other nations should be flown at the same level.

I'm not a stickler for flag etiquette, but I have to admit that it annoyed me to see at the D-Day Museum in Bayeux that the French flag was being flown above the flags of the other nations. At least from a US perspective, that would suggest that the French believe that they are superior to the US, UK, Canada, Poland, etc., although I understand that was probably not the case and that their intention was to express some gratitude for those who liberated them.
If it wasn't for French assistance the US may not have obtained independence. So maybe that's how they feel.
Old Dec 15th 2016, 5:57 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
Car dealership you have a choice though
Old Dec 15th 2016, 6:15 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

But isn't precisely what they think. They are after all French.
Old Dec 15th 2016, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

Teckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
That whole thing was always weird to me, like we'll all die if someone throws an old flag in the bin. Or "don't let it touch the ground", as if the world will come to an end if a bit of cotton touches the earth from whence it came .
I don't get this either. In my first year here, I went to an event where little flags were handed out. I kept my one for a while in my room in an apartment I shared with 2 others at the time. After doing a spring clean of my room one day, I put it in the waste bin. My apartment cohabitants nearly freaked out when they saw it....well that may be a slight overstatement but they were genuinely perturbed about it. I think it must just be instilled from a young age.
Old Dec 15th 2016, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

The French flag was flown above other countries flags because it was in France, at a museum about an event in France. I think that only the US has a special code for the treatment of flags outside the military, so it would be weird to think everyone else should uphold it.
Old Dec 15th 2016, 7:29 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Teckelspass
I don't get this either. In my first year here, I went to an event where little flags were handed out. I kept my one for a while in my room in an apartment I shared with 2 others at the time. After doing a spring clean of my room one day, I put it in the waste bin. My apartment cohabitants nearly freaked out when they saw it....well that may be a slight overstatement but they were genuinely perturbed about it. I think it must just be instilled from a young age.
We pick up those mini flags at events all the time. I'm sure more than one of them has ended up in a bin somewhere, or at the very least under a bed or attacked by the cat. It's no big deal.
Old Dec 15th 2016, 7:50 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

There's the story of the old D-Day vet who arrived in Normandy for the D-Day landing anniversary. The French customs officer waited impatiently as the old vet fumbled in his coat pockets looking for his passport.
Exasperated he said to the vet "Are you sure you have your passport with you M'sieu? You cannot enter France without a passport"

The old vet replied "Yes I'm well aware of that but when I arrived here last time nobody asked me for one on that day"

Last edited by dc koop; Dec 15th 2016 at 7:59 pm.
Old Dec 15th 2016, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

Marc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond repute

There was recently a post on Nextdoor (facebook for nosey old farts) from someone that wanted to dispose of his flag properly. I thought he was taking the mick until I read the responses of what a fine upstanding citizen he is etc... weird, it's just a piece of mass produced cloth or plastic ffs.
Old Dec 15th 2016, 8:03 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone who wants to dispose of an old worn out flag can take it to a VFW center where it will be disposed of properly and with respect.
Old Dec 15th 2016, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
Anyone who wants to dispose of an old worn out flag can take it to a VFW center where it will be disposed of properly and with respect.
What do they actually do with them, if they can't chuck them out or burn them? I'm curious now as to the actual disposal method.
Old Dec 15th 2016, 8:07 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by dc koop
Or you could just throw it in the bin. It's not like the world will come to an end or anything.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.