Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

The Wedding of Harry & Meghan

The Wedding of Harry & Meghan

Old May 26th 2018, 6:48 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Wedding of Harry & Meghan

Originally Posted by rebs
What if they would like to bring Meghan’s mother over to live with/near them at some point? What options might they have for that?
Unless her mother meets the criteria for 'adult dependent relative', which she doesn't, then I don't think there are any options for her to permanently settle in the UK.
Old May 26th 2018, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Unless her mother meets the criteria for 'adult dependent relative', which she doesn't, then I don't think there are any options for her to permanently settle in the UK.
Thanks 😊 I wondered if there was some kind of wealthy investment type visa or something they could get for her - the super rich always seem to be able to live wherever they want to in the world don’t they 🤣
Old May 26th 2018, 7:22 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks � ���� I wondered if there was some kind of wealthy investment type visa or something they could get for her - the super rich always seem to be able to live wherever they want to in the world don’t they � ����
Sorry Rebs, you're right. There's an investor visa for those with £2million to invest in the UK. I was more focused on visa options for the plebs like me
Old May 27th 2018, 7:55 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

She could marry a member of the Royal Family who is currently not married.
Old May 27th 2018, 11:03 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

What if they would like to bring Meghan’s mother over to live with/near them at some point? What options might they have for that?
Why would she? She lives and works in California and all her friends are there. She didn't move to Canada all the time Meghan was there.
Old May 27th 2018, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Why would she? She lives and works in California and all her friends are there. She didn't move to Canada all the time Meghan was there.
I've no idea what they might or might not want to do in the future, I was just curious about options.
Old May 27th 2018, 12:57 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

The couple were required to meet the same rules as everyone.

A non-EU spouse wishing to live in the UK with their UK citizen spouse has to apply for a settlement visa. There are financial, accommodation and character requirements.

Financial requirements can be met through income or savings - I suspect the royal couple used the latter.

The non-EU spouse needs to apply for 3 visas, the initial entry clearance, then further leave to remain, then indefinite leave to remain. That takes 5 years. After the 5 years they can apply for citizenship.

At the current fees, the entire process including the health surcharge is around £10,000.
Thanks for that. But they were not married when she arrived. Isn't there a marriage visa in there too?
So we can look forward to citizenship ceremony in 5 years😀 Meanwhile, are any potential kids going to be dual citizens? I can't recall if US mum automatically equals US Kid?
Old May 27th 2018, 1:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

She qualifies to pass on US Citizenship, Winston would have been a US Citizen if he had been born after 1934.
Old May 27th 2018, 7:45 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Rebs, you're right. There's an investor visa for those with £2million to invest in the UK. I was more focused on visa options for the plebs like me
Tom Cruises’ daughter went to live in London, and took a hairdressing course. She then worked in London. Later met someome and married. I always wondered how she managed it regarding a visa.
Old May 27th 2018, 11:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory

Tom Cruises’ daughter went to live in London, and took a hairdressing course. She then worked in London. Later met someome and married. I always wondered how she managed it regarding a visa.
Money talks.
Old May 27th 2018, 11:41 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory

Maybe Britain's Home Secretary is also a member of the Church of Scientology
Old May 28th 2018, 1:39 am
Horrid Yank

manekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond repute

From what I read, Harry and Meg don't have a prenup. Also, she had about $5M to her name on her own, so wasn't exactly poor. Apparently they pooled their funds, and there will be no his 'n hers separate accounts.

She probably reminds him of his mother: outspoken, activist and forward-thinking. They both had failed relationships, as do we all. One of hers happened to be a marriage.

I like that she got antsy at age 11 and campaigned to have a sexist commercial changed. She volunteered in a soup kitchen while working on the show in Toronto. This makes her a bit more interesting than the leggy blond types he was dating. Harry and Meg seem on the same wavelength and I wish them the best.
Old Jun 3rd 2018, 5:31 am
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Food for thought, ....
Assuming they last -, and straight out of some Lifetime television bollox of happily ever after, ol' Megs & Haz set up shop in jolly USofA. Innocent enough and people get all yeah and giddy over such idea. But, then suppose Markel were to run for POTUS - Harry would then be the first gentleman. FG HRH Harry Duke of Sussex has a certain ring to it. Its not like we haven't already had an actor and 'celebrity' as such position, so this shouldn't be any more nuttier nor farfetched. True US Camelot!! Thus far, she is over 35, USC and has been a resident for 14 years (vague area as constitution doesn't specify consecutively nor clearly define 'resident').
I'm sure she will have alot of pressure to give up her US Citizenship by BP, let alone for IRS concerns alone (i.e. certain things of the fam's finances may have to be disclosed) ... and if she renounces USC, I presume she could risk not being allowed back in the US. Not such a fairytale afterall, .... or is it?!
Old Jun 3rd 2018, 10:49 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tarkak9
Food for thought, ....
Assuming they last -, and straight out of some Lifetime television bollox of happily ever after, ol' Megs & Haz set up shop in jolly USofA. Innocent enough and people get all yeah and giddy over such idea. But, then suppose Markel were to run for POTUS - Harry would then be the first gentleman. FG HRH Harry Duke of Sussex has a certain ring to it. Its not like we haven't already had an actor and 'celebrity' as such position, so this shouldn't be any more nuttier nor farfetched. True US Camelot!! Thus far, she is over 35, USC and has been a resident for 14 years (vague area as constitution doesn't specify consecutively nor clearly define 'resident').
I'm sure she will have alot of pressure to give up her US Citizenship by BP, let alone for IRS concerns alone (i.e. certain things of the fam's finances may have to be disclosed) ... and if she renounces USC, I presume she could risk not being allowed back in the US. Not such a fairytale afterall, .... or is it?!
I thought it had already been reported while ago...that when she becomes a UKC she will renounce her US citizenship.