Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

We want to move to Sarasota

We want to move to Sarasota

Old Nov 30th 2019, 10:45 pm
Just Joined

ukcclarke is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: We want to move to Sarasota

Yes we have and the visa side is ok we just don't really know where would be best to settle as its no
t just about us but our 14 year old too.

He is fairly easy - keen to move to America - athletic, bright but not super academic - just an all rounder with a particular interest in maths.
Old Nov 30th 2019, 10:49 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukcclarke
Yes we have and the visa side is ok we just don't really know where would be best to settle as its no

He is fairly easy - keen to move to America - athletic, bright but not super academic - just an all rounder with a particular interest in maths.
You might want to get a second opinion. So many things you’ve said already raise red flags.
Old Dec 1st 2019, 12:56 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello All.

We want to move from UK to Sarasota with our 14 year old son. I would really welcome some advice on High Schools and residential locations from those of you who live there.

Many thanks in advance

Chris
Sarasota is a nice upscale community to call home depending on what you're looking for. We've spent time over there mostly for shopping and the atmosphere feels pleasant . Has a old school Florida feel and the people are for the most part friendly. Not sure if I would pick Sarasota as my first choice to live if you have a teenager living at home. It's going to be fewer activities for them to enjoy in that area of Florida. There are certain athletic camps to enroll your kids in to keep them active. Bradenton Florida about a 20 minute drive has a few world class academies. Most of the major activity such as concerts, Universities ect will be found in Tampa not a bad drive from Sarasota. It all comes down to budget and lifestyle you most prefer. I say do your homework and visit a few places before making a final decision. Keep in mind that coastal cities like Sarasota are right in the Bull's Eye during hurricane season which is very real. That fact doesn't stop a great many people from buying right on the water front. I personally like Fort Meyers a great deal.
Old Dec 1st 2019, 1:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

So why Sarasota? Is it because you have visited Florida/Sarasota?

Don't think people can advise on where in the States would be best for you as the States are vast and without further info regarding your business, your lifestyle and your financial resources it would be impossible.
Old Dec 1st 2019, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
Regardless of the difficulty of immigration already mentioned above, Why Sarasota? It is widely considered a massive retirement home. Not ideal for a family with a teenager!
I'm surprised a local chap such as yourself isn't familiar with Lakewood Ranch.

Lakewood Ranch is challenging the retirement home perception of the area - not that it will change that side of things for Sarasota but it has brought a huge influx of young professional types to the area.

The high school at Lakewood attracts affluent white folks and their spoiled junkie kids but the educational standards are pretty good for a Florida school.

If the OP and their family are into any sports that don't involve a field or flat water then they might want to rethink otherwise they'll be reasonably happy. I would prefer my kids to be raised in this area of the south west than most others. As for Fort Myers, mentioned in an earlier post, that really is not the place to bring up your kids - not unless they are looking to give the local wide receivers and running backs a challenge - and is the stereotypical coastal retirement town.
Old Dec 1st 2019, 3:48 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark

Lakewood Ranch is challenging the retirement home perception of the area - not that it will change that side of things for Sarasota but it has brought a huge influx of young professional types to the area.

The high school at Lakewood attracts affluent white folks and their spoiled junkie kids but the educational standards are pretty good for a Florida school.

If the OP and their family are into any sports that don't involve a field or flat water then they might want to rethink otherwise they'll be reasonably happy. I would prefer my kids to be raised in this area of the south west than most others. As for Fort Myers, mentioned in an earlier post, that really is not the place to bring up your kids - not unless they are looking to give the local wide receivers and running backs a challenge - and is the stereotypical coastal retirement town.
You prefer Sarasota over Fort Meyers? We usually rent summer stays in Fort Meyers because it's so beautiful there.

I guess either choice is not a bad one. But if someone wanted to avoid living in a slow pace low activity area then pretty much most of southwest Florida should be skipped. From Sarasota all the way down to Naples Florida is SnowBird country. If I were to pick an area on the west coast of Florida, places like Clearwater and St Petersburg have more of a balanced community. But pretty much all of Florida(except Miami, Orlando) are laid back and slow. But that is the reason why a great many people love Florida.
Old Dec 1st 2019, 6:04 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

We were down in the Sarasota - Ft Myers region last winter, visiting various friends and family who either live there, or have second homes there. My wife’s cousin has a very nice apartment in Lakewood Ranch. It overlooks that big lake, walking distance from the (totally fake) “town center” or whatever they call it - a walkable area full of bars and restaurants. I really liked it there, and was all ready to start looking at property in the same development. (Cousin and her husband play golf, which we don’t, but there’s also loads of walking & cycling there.) However my wife nixed the idea

In Sarasota, we spent hours at the stately home & art gallery - Barnum? I know it was circus-related. Anyway the art museum was fabulous.
Old Dec 1st 2019, 6:57 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

I am not familiar with LR. Based on tv ads, I thought of it as a manufactured town ala Milton Keynes
Old Dec 1st 2019, 11:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there where the algae bloom is?
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 6:46 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your advice so far. We only initially chose Sarasota because it had more reviews but it sounds as though it will be a bit slow for our teenage son. If you were able to recommend anywhere else for us to research that would also be useful.

We want to avoid any cities and are looking for somewhere with a decent high school and also a community feel. (if that's possible). I have a small boat that I would love to use more so its not essential that we are on the coast but certainly need to be 20-30 mins away.

Finally - I am unclear about the school system - there are public and private high schools - do we have to look for a private school or just search for a decent high school? I'm not sure if the gap is significant.

Thank you
Chris
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 6:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your advice so far. We only initially chose Sarasota because it had more reviews but it sounds as though it will be a bit slow for our teenage son. If you were able to recommend anywhere else for us to research that would also be useful.

We want to avoid any cities and are looking for somewhere with a decent high school and also a community feel. (if that's possible). I have a small boat that I would love to use more so its not essential that we are on the coast but certainly need to be 20-30 mins away.

Finally - I am unclear about the school system - there are public and private high schools - do we have to look for a private school or just search for a decent high school? I'm not sure if the gap is significant.

Thank you
Chris
From what you have written the E Visa is questionable. You have a long road to travel before you need to worry about schools/communities etc.

You say the visa side of things is sorted. Who told you this, an immigration lawyer with experience of E visas? Does this mean you have actually applied for it? If the answer is no, I suggest you open a thread in the US Immigration forum, giving as many details as possible. The people in the know will help you out and will probably recommend a good lawyer. One that will not just tell you what you want to hear, take your money with no hopes of procuring a visa, but one with a good track record.

Good luck.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Dec 2nd 2019 at 7:04 pm.
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 7:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you
Chris

Well there is always San Diego.....nice coast line, good schools, lots of outdoor activities, plenty of communities with a variety of accommodation .......

No you don't HAVE to look for a private school - but if you have the money then that is an option for you.
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 8:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

The OP has now posted in the US Imm. Forum for help with visas and immigration lawyers.

Visa help and recommendations for an Immigration Lawyer
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

Thank you

We will research this too.
Old Dec 3rd 2019, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa help and recommendations for an Immigration Lawyer

Hi Rene
We don't know where we should look at living. Florida seems to have some positive business attributes but it's a big place and we should also be looking at other areas too. We can go over in Jan/Feb for a month and scope out areas. I've been given a few recommendations for immigration lawyers so will line them up this week also. Let me know if you have any recommendations at all.

Many thanks
Chris
Atlanta and Nashville are well connected, have reasonably decent winter weather and haven't reached the ridiculousness of the west coast CoL, plus their time zones are closer to UK (-5 and -6). Orlando is obviously a winner on that front too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.