British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   We want to move to Sarasota (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/we-want-move-sarasota-929583/)

ukcclarke Nov 30th 2019 3:47 pm

We want to move to Sarasota

Hello All.

We want to move from UK to Sarasota with our 14 year old son. I would really welcome some advice on High Schools and residential locations from those of you who live there.

Many thanks in advance

Chris

SanDiegogirl Nov 30th 2019 3:54 pm

Re: We want to move to Sarasota

Most important, what visa are you going to obtain in order to move?

Jerseygirl Nov 30th 2019 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 12771904)
Most important, what visa are you going to obtain in order to move?

Or are you or your spouse US citizens?

ukcclarke Nov 30th 2019 6:52 pm

No US connections or relatives - we can obtain work visas fine - obviously not a full green card but we intend to be there for 10-15 years.

scrubbedexpat099 Nov 30th 2019 6:55 pm

Where will you be working?

SanDiegogirl Nov 30th 2019 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by ukcclarke (Post 12771971)
No US connections or relatives - we can obtain work visas fine - obviously not a full green card but we intend to be there for 10-15 years.

You are going to have to explain how you 'can obtain work visas fine' - that is, usually, the hardest option for people wishing to move to the US - and will influence when you can expect to get to the US.

scrubbedexpat099 Nov 30th 2019 6:59 pm

Wondering which work visa, well one that lasts 10 or 15 years?

RICH Nov 30th 2019 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by ukcclarke (Post 12771902)
Hello All.

We want to move from UK to Sarasota with our 14 year old son. I would really welcome some advice on High Schools and residential locations from those of you who live there.

Many thanks in advance

Chris

Regardless of the difficulty of immigration already mentioned above, Why Sarasota? It is widely considered a massive retirement home. Not ideal for a family with a teenager!

Jerseygirl Nov 30th 2019 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by ukcclarke (Post 12771971)

Before we get involved with recommendations for schools, locations etc., perhaps you could clarify exactly what visas will you be obtaining.

ukcclarke Nov 30th 2019 8:55 pm

Thank you - You have already been really helpful by responding - we will have an E1 or E2 visa - we will be working from home or will take a small office as our business is global in terms of coverage but small in terms of staff.

Thanks Rich for your comment - that's why I am on this forum. Having started our USA research - Sarasota pops up as one of the best places to live which is why we need feedback from you people who actually live there and .... google doesn't always get it right. So feel free to offer any advice.

ukcclarke Nov 30th 2019 8:55 pm

Message for Jersey girl - my husband was born in Huddersfield...

Nutmegger Nov 30th 2019 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by ukcclarke (Post 12772005)
Thank you - You have already been really helpful by responding - we will have an E1 or E2 visa - we will be working from home or will take a small office as our business is global in terms of coverage but small in terms of staff.

Thanks Rich for your comment - that's why I am on this forum. Having started our USA research - Sarasota pops up as one of the best places to live which is why we need feedback from you people who actually live there and .... google doesn't always get it right. So feel free to offer any advice.

If the business is global, why do you need to be in the US? A taste of the kind of question that your business plan will need to address in order to be granted a visa. And working from home is a non-starter, you will need business premises. Plus, on an E-2, your child will age out and have to leave at 21.

Jerseygirl Nov 30th 2019 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by ukcclarke (Post 12772006)
Message for Jersey girl - my husband was born in Huddersfield...

I am from Sheffield.

ukcclarke Nov 30th 2019 9:29 pm

We want to live in the US so this is a lifestyle choice - our son may well become part of the business depending on where his path takes him so he would be employed by the same company.

With our business we can work almost anywhere but need to retain a European presence and a lot of sales are in the US so it makes sense to base ourselves there for a while so we can understand the market a bit better.

If you had the choice to live anywhere - where would you go?

Jerseygirl Nov 30th 2019 10:08 pm

Have you had a consultation with an immigration lawyer? Does he/she think your biz plan will lead to an E visa?