Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Washing a baseball cap........

Washing a baseball cap........

Old Jun 17th 2021, 9:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Washing a baseball cap........

A google search of best way to wash a baseball cap brings up lots of different ways. If you are Daily Mail reader then I am sure there is some Australian bint I mean housewife who has a great way of doing it. Apparently they know how to clean everything.
Old Jun 17th 2021, 9:26 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
This is an English soccer cap if it helps. Very difficult to replace.
Dry clean?

Though letting it out of your sight and toss it into the dry cleaning mill of lostness may be a risk too far.
Old Jun 17th 2021, 11:50 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

This is an English soccer cap if it helps. Very difficult to replace.

What's the nature of the grime on it?

Just general greyness and sweat, or something specific and tricky?
Old Jun 18th 2021, 12:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat100 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've washed all my husbands baseball caps in front loaders over the last 3-4 decades without any issues.

But in your case, if your baseball cap is difficult to replace, I'd definitely be washing it in the sink 😉
Old Jun 18th 2021, 4:07 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

He hasn't reported back. I'm getting worried.
Old Jun 18th 2021, 5:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
He hasn't reported back. I'm getting worried.
Maybe his friend hasn't got back to him. I do hope unless it was an all white cap something didn't get lost in translation and his friend used bleach rather than soap or that the cap actually shrunk in size.
Old Jun 18th 2021, 5:31 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Soap and warm water in the sink; hand wash and scrub the bill and sweat-band with an old tooth brush. Some ball caps do ok in the wash machine, but others can become mis-shapen.
Old Jun 19th 2021, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
You don't wash a baseball cap. It should be grubby, faded, and sweat stained.
I challenge you to put one of my ball caps within three feet of your nose just before I wash it!
They usually get washed after about two months of daily wear, when stuff starts sticking to the inside band - much more effective way to trap flies than flypaper.... And the water-sour type smell from a couple of months of sweat is always fun!
I live in caps and have gone from owning one from my running/kayak racing days in the UK to owning at least a dozen. All but the Superbowl and NCAAF championship caps get worn.

So, washing. Unless you can be certain that your cap doesn't have a card stiffener in the cap you want to keep it out of anything that has plenty of swishing action/super heated temps. I always hand wash mine in the kitchen sink, usually with dish soap (as it's great for breaking down sticky sweat muck), I did try Arm and Hammer clothes liquid once but it doesn't do nearly as good a job and is a bugger to wash out.
Soak cap in water, apply plenty of dish soap, rub in by hand into brim, same with the cloth part but with this bit you can pretend that you are scrubber lady from ye olden days and give it a good hard rubbing on itself. Rinse thoroughly with warm water, hang to air dry on handy exterior door knob...
I haven't yet had a brim fall apart but have chucked out a few caps that have managed to rip!
Old Jun 19th 2021, 5:46 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

What's the nature of the grime on it?

Just general greyness and sweat, or something specific and tricky?
Sorry had to go in hiding from the Jock who lives at the end of the road.

It is just general grime, and something which looks like is has been rubbed against rust.
Old Jun 19th 2021, 1:43 pm

Sorry had to go in hiding from the Jock who lives at the end of the road.

It is just general grime, and something which looks like is has been rubbed against rust.
So it's a white cotton cap? I would go with Caretaker's method above. Use cool water. Also try a paste made of WHITE vinegar and baking soda and brush gently or rub it with your fingers so as not to raise the nap. Stay away from the Scotsman so he doesn't get whisky and haggis on it again.
Old Jun 19th 2021, 5:14 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Soap and warm water in the sink; hand wash and scrub the bill and sweat-band with an old tooth brush. Some ball caps do ok in the wash machine, but others can become mis-shapen.
So it's a white cotton cap? I would go with Caretaker's method above. Use cool water. Also try a paste made of WHITE vinegar and baking soda and brush gently or rub it with your fingers so as not to raise the nap. Stay away from the Scotsman so he doesn't get whisky and haggis on it again.
OK seems like a plan. Thanks
Old Jun 19th 2021, 11:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So now we have figured out how to wash a baseball cap next comes how to correctly wear a baseball cap. Do you wear it with the peak/brim or whatever you want to call it to the front and with a curve in it, the peak at the back of the head or the peak at around a 45 degree preferably on the right side of the head and with all the stickers and labels not cut off.
Old Jun 20th 2021, 1:54 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
So now we have figured out how to wash a baseball cap next comes how to correctly wear a baseball cap. Do you wear it with the peak/brim or whatever you want to call it to the front and with a curve in it, the peak at the back of the head or the peak at around a 45 degree preferably on the right side of the head and with all the stickers and labels not cut off.
When we bought our Triumph we were given a t- shirt and a cap. They were both red and they both had Triumph written on then. After being mistaken for Trump a few times we dumped them both . No more red caps or Triumph gear in this house
Old Jun 21st 2021, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Hang on, before we discuss methods of wearing caps we should surely revert to the original question and agree that top loaders were invented by the devil.
Old Jun 21st 2021, 3:22 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

The real classic redneck ball cap says CAT on it, but that would work for cat ladies as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.