Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Want to move to Montana!

Want to move to Montana!

Old Oct 4th 2016, 9:00 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to move to Montana!

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Mum will want to visit. I have done a search on the forum but there appear to be few threads recently about this. Her previous ESTA probably expired a couple of years ago. Is the ESTA process the same as about 4 years ago? I forget if she is told immediately if she is approved or if not, how long does ESTA usually take? (The ESTA website doesn't seem to say)
Bear in mind ESTA is not needed at land border crossings, so if she drives down from Calgary, not necessary. Although I'm assuming she'd probably come into Great Falls via Chicago.

Also I have been searching on the rules for changing my out-of-state license for an MT one. Some say it's a straight swap with an eye test, others say I may have to take the written test, others say written + driving test. ???
No idea but I've noticed that people in Montana often don't look over their shoulder before pulling out on I-15, presumably because it's rare to have someone to the left of you so the test can't be up to much.

An interesting quirk for a position I am thinking of applying for.

It's for a company that has hotels around Glacier NP. But they also have hotels just across the border in Canada.

Would I need a work permit to perform work in Canada for a US company? Do US Citizens also still need a work permit to perform work in Canada?
Depends on the work you're doing. Normal business visitor stuff is okay. Say you go to do an installation or go to perform some training for the staff.

Someone mentioned NAFTA, in order to get a NAFTA work permit your job has to fit into the listed categories in NAFTA which you can read in 8 CFR 214.6, e.g. hotel manager. You have to provide a job offer letter from the Canadian company to CBSA describing (a) what the work entails; (b) why your qualifications fit NAFTA and the job and (c) the work cannot be for more than 3 years. And you need proof of your qualifications. And you must be a US or Mexican citizen.

Presumably all I need to enter Canada is my UK passport, although if they ask what I'm doing and I don't have a required permit for work, I guess that would be an issue.
If you've got a US passport it's better to use that. UK visitors have to have the ETA if they arrive by air. Also you can enter Canada using just your LPR card.

Last edited by Steve_; Oct 4th 2016 at 9:03 pm.
Old Oct 4th 2016, 9:09 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Also since the bank holds my vehicle title as I still owe on it, I have to fill out some form to allow the state to enquire about legitimaty/conversion to an MT title. Is that the norm when moving state with a vehicle that has a loan against it? Or is it Montana being finicky. I figured I'd just take in my Ohio registration and they'd switch it over. But apparently not.
You always have to get the title switched over and because you don't hold the title, that's where the problem comes from. That isn't a Montana problem per se.
Old Oct 5th 2016, 1:36 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
10 here right now, high of 6 forecast tomorrow - in the first week of October.
Oh aye, I was up in Grimshaw at the end of September and it was around the low teens for most of the week, getting down around 7 or 8 at night. I showed up with nothing but T-shirts and a zip-up hoodie thing for warmth, got a bit of a rude awakening when the wind picked up

It's going to be in the mid 70s (low 20s C) here today, for comparison
Old Oct 5th 2016, 1:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Snow is forecast, got down to 20 something last night.
Old Oct 7th 2016, 11:38 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Snow is forecast, got down to 20 something last night.
Burns OR. was 19F last night, MT Hood had snow down to 5500 ft.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 12:54 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Yes I realize that the winters are crazy cold and harsh. But I've always been a freak as far as cold tolerance (yes, I can be outside at 0F and I enjoy it). It takes temperatures below about 25F before I need long pants.
So did you get much use out of your shorts over the winter then?
Old Jun 29th 2017, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

I did. There were plenty of days at 30 or 35 I went out in shorts.

Lowest it got was -25 for a few days, it felt cold but refreshing. I didn't have an issue with it.

Had to get a new battery for the missus' car since the old one didn't like those temps too much. I will be changing the battery in mine before next winter since it will be 3 years old by then.

Supposed to have a full week of temps with highs in the 90s starting maybe Thursday next week. I'd rather have the -25 instead.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 8:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

We never get beyond he upper 70's but then I have seen it a lot colder, fortunately a rare occurrence.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 11:38 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

I'd say last winter was slightly worse than average. At least imx. Been quite a few worse than that.

Calgary has an average of four days a year with temperatures over 30 C.