Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Want to move back to the USA but my girlfriend's perspective differs than mine.

Wikiposts

Want to move back to the USA but my girlfriend's perspective differs than mine.

Old Apr 23rd 2016, 2:20 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to move back to the USA but my girlfriend's perspective differs than mine.

Originally Posted by lansbury
I can assure you that England has gone downhill since I was born there in 1948. It is not the place it was and never will be.
Shows your age mate but no disrespect intended
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 2:56 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to move back to the USA but my girlfriend's perspective differs than mine.

Originally Posted by lansbury
I can assure you that England has gone downhill since I was born there in 1948. It is not the place it was and never will be.
Originally Posted by dc koop
Shows your age mate but no disrespect intended
I think, objectively speaking, the UK has been in decline compared to the rest of the world for about 100 years.

The UK went into WW1 with the world's largest navy and combined with what was then the worlds largest empire, the UK could control or influence most of the world's trade. In respect of where the UK is now, it looks like Germany won in 1918.
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 2:59 am
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

If you really want to return to your country of birth and she doesn't then just leave her behind. That's what I did when I decided I wanted to emigrate and she didn't. You'll get over it. No one ever died from a broken heart,

The alternative is that whatever choice is made to suit the other neither of you will be both happy with it,
Agree. I also read the GF is a Britex supporter, nothing wrong with that, but indicative in my opinion that reluctance and moving to the US is not something she really wants to do. We Brits who hold the UK near and dear to our hearts have a hard time in the US, always comparing etc etc, just read this website!
I would move on. Short term pain but if either one of you compromise it will be hard to live with your decision over the years, I know this to be true

Last edited by vikingsail; Apr 23rd 2016 at 3:04 am.
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 5:42 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I think, objectively speaking, the UK has been in decline compared to the rest of the world for about 100 years.

The UK went into WW1 with the world's largest navy and combined with what was then the worlds largest empire, the UK could control or influence most of the world's trade. In respect of where the UK is now, it looks like Germany won in 1918.
Well Britain lost an Empire . The United States for decades after WW2 controlled and influenced most of the world's trade but that's not the case now. Neither does it today have the influence in foreign affairs that it once had. I think change is often confused with decline. In the case of Britain I well remember the years following WW2. Looking at what Britain is today compared to Britain 1945 thru 1960 it could hardly be described as being in a state of decline. It's just changed. If it remains in the EU it potentially has a major role to play in deciding the future course of the EU and it's relations with the rest of the world.

Last edited by dc koop; Apr 23rd 2016 at 5:46 am.
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 6:07 am
Banned

Originally Posted by vikingsail
Agree. I also read the GF is a Britex supporter, nothing wrong with that, but indicative in my opinion that reluctance and moving to the US is not something she really wants to do. We Brits who hold the UK near and dear to our hearts have a hard time in the US, always comparing etc etc, just read this website!
I would move on. Short term pain but if either one of you compromise it will be hard to live with your decision over the years, I know this to be true
I've been here just over 40 years, taken root, raised a family. Britain will always be a part of me also i'm the only Limey in the family. My grandkids love my accent. I've had no regrets about my decision, in short made a good life for myself. As for crime? Never happened unless you count the theft of a rear view mirror in 1976.

We did get the rental car stolen while in France in 1980 and an attempt made to steal my wife's shoulder bag while on the Paris Metro same trip.
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 6:25 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... If it remains in the EU it potentially has a major role to play in deciding the future course of the EU and it's relations with the rest of the world.
It will have a major influence on the direction of the EU whether it stays or leaves!
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 7:35 am
Banned

It will have a major influence on the direction of the EU whether it stays or leaves!
True. Obama had a comment on Britain and the EU, it's effect on the US should it leave. No use Britexit voters brushing his words aside. They should be listened to
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 7:45 am

True. Obama had a comment on Britain and the EU, it's effect on the US should it leave. No use Britexit voters brushing his words aside. They should be listened to
Nine months from now Obama's opinion will be even less relevant than it is today.
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 10:59 am
Banned

Nine months from now Obama's opinion will be even less relevant than it is today.
True again but Obama's departure wont change what the possible outcome could be if Britain left the EU. A Britain outside the EU might just be left at the side of the road as the US moves on building up trade, economic agreements and many others with a huge powerful bloc as the EU. Where, therefore for Britain ? Have any of the Brexit leaders as yet put forward a viable and realistic alternative plan and strategy for Britain's future outside of Europe ? Or are they just pandering to feelings of nationalism and long held indifference/apathy towards Europe.

Revival of the old Commonwealth ties and trade deals? The Commonwealth countries have already moved on. Australia is a serious trading partner with China, India likewise, Canada now does more trade across the border with the US and Mexico than with anywhere else.

Times have changed.

Last edited by dc koop; Apr 23rd 2016 at 11:02 am.
Old Apr 25th 2016, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yankabroad
I feel like it's time for me to plant some roots somewhere and the USA from my perspective seems like a good place.
I wonder if it's the permanence of the move that puts her off? She might be happy to live in the US for a few years but you sound as if you are thinking of this being a permanent move?

Perhaps you could approach it from a 5 , 10, 15 year plan showing where, when and how the exit plan would be in that time span if she finds she misses Europe.

I think the biggest selling point of the US to a lot of Brits is how much cheaper housing tends to be. Is that something that would be significant to her?

Do you plan to have children together? That can be when an expat will really want to return to their home country, particularly when the children get to school age. Could that be something that makes her want to stay in the UK?

I've been here 20 years, would have liked to return home to the UK about 10 years in but couldn't make it happen. I like loads of things about the US it's a good place to live but I prefer the UK and the US makes me aware of how European my POV is even after all this time. My Republican voting friends think I'm more or less a communist while my UK friends think of me as "a little bit left leaning"

Guns - poverty will mean close proximity and a daily part of life in the US, if you can afford to live in a nice area then the guns are much more in the background, but they are there and people do die because they are there.

Medical Insurance - if you can afford good coverage and don't go getting any expensive health issues then it's no problem. If you do then yeah it can be life changingly expensive.

She might find she loves it here but I think in general it tends not to go that great when one half of a couple has to try to "persuade" the other to move. How do you feel about putting down roots in the UK instead? Is it just the job offer that makes you want to move home or do you miss the US? Could you imagine settling in the UK or do you think it would never be home for you?
Old Apr 25th 2016, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

Matt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond repute

Or pick a country that excites you both. Australia perhaps.
Old Apr 25th 2016, 8:22 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matt Sabre
Or pick a country that excites you both. Australia perhaps.
Great advice! Where has the OP said that he ir his girlfriend a) want to live in Australia and b).qualify for a visa to do so?
Old Apr 25th 2016, 11:45 pm
Just Joined

yankabroad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NiHao
I wonder if it's the permanence of the move that puts her off? She might be happy to live in the US for a few years but you sound as if you are thinking of this being a permanent move?

Perhaps you could approach it from a 5 , 10, 15 year plan showing where, when and how the exit plan would be in that time span if she finds she misses Europe.

I think the biggest selling point of the US to a lot of Brits is how much cheaper housing tends to be. Is that something that would be significant to her?

Do you plan to have children together? That can be when an expat will really want to return to their home country, particularly when the children get to school age. Could that be something that makes her want to stay in the UK?

I've been here 20 years, would have liked to return home to the UK about 10 years in but couldn't make it happen. I like loads of things about the US it's a good place to live but I prefer the UK and the US makes me aware of how European my POV is even after all this time. My Republican voting friends think I'm more or less a communist while my UK friends think of me as "a little bit left leaning"

Guns - poverty will mean close proximity and a daily part of life in the US, if you can afford to live in a nice area then the guns are much more in the background, but they are there and people do die because they are there.

Medical Insurance - if you can afford good coverage and don't go getting any expensive health issues then it's no problem. If you do then yeah it can be life changingly expensive.

She might find she loves it here but I think in general it tends not to go that great when one half of a couple has to try to "persuade" the other to move. How do you feel about putting down roots in the UK instead? Is it just the job offer that makes you want to move home or do you miss the US? Could you imagine settling in the UK or do you think it would never be home for you?

Good point maybe the permanent thing is what bothers her. I'll ask her instead of talking about it on an online forum

We actually don't live in the UK. While the people there are great, the weather and COL with the low salaries in IT was just tough for me. I made less than half of what I made in the USA and everything outside of London was still more expensive than what I was used to. I did love the vacation time though, the fact that I could just take some cheap airline for a few days was fantastic.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 2:01 am
Forum Regular

Matt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Great advice! Where has the OP said that he ir his girlfriend a) want to live in Australia and b).qualify for a visa to do so?
Hello, how are you?

I'm sorry my post angered you. I'll try to do better next time.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 3:53 am
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NiHao
I've lived here 44 years and never seen a gun other than those on a cop's belt. Obviously, peoples' experiences vary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.