Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Walmart - the end of an era

Walmart - the end of an era

Old Oct 13th 2007, 6:14 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice
Default Walmart - the end of an era

I read this yesterday and thought, their time shall come. People are getting sick of the crap that they sell and are finding out that it is better to pay a bit more for better quality.

I think the way that Target went a bit more upmarket instead of competing with Walmart as they were doing, was a brilliant move. Their goods are better quality IMO, and well worth the price you pay for them.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...aspx?GT1=10522
Old Oct 13th 2007, 7:24 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Walmart - the end of an era

In this are, Kohl's seems to be busier than Target. For many things, I prefer Kohl's. Never been in Walmart.
Old Oct 13th 2007, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

David Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
In this are, Kohl's seems to be busier than Target. For many things, I prefer Kohl's. Never been in Walmart.
Wonder how much impact groups like 'Wake Up Walmart' had in this? There were several activist groups fighting Walmart expansion and wage policies etc...not to mention several class action lawsuits over women workers being overlooked for promotion. Personally, I stopped shopping there more than 5 years ago.
Old Oct 13th 2007, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Michaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to all

if depends on what kind of Walmart u go to .

In Port Huron we had this real shit*y old walmart never went there it was bad compared to Target or Myers ./ but they built a new super walmart very nice and the prices are way better than at any other store . they even sell Live lobsters ..... 24/7 lol
Old Oct 13th 2007, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand the anti-Walmart lobby, personally. Got better things to do than bitch about them and go out of my way not to shop there and spend more money for the same stuff elsewhere.

If they are cheaper on price than Target and Co, I'll shop there. Once you've got the goods home, no-one knows or cares where you got them from.
Old Oct 14th 2007, 5:00 am
Forum Regular

Hove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Dan725
I don't understand the anti-Walmart lobby, personally. Got better things to do than bitch about them and go out of my way not to shop there and spend more money for the same stuff elsewhere.

If they are cheaper on price than Target and Co, I'll shop there. Once you've got the goods home, no-one knows or cares where you got them from.
Funny isnt it? Walmart , Target ,Kohls,or any of them,Its the same meat but different gravy..
When I was a kid I used to work in a coat factory,We had labels for the cheaper range of clothing stores and Labels for the upmarket ones.Its still the same today.
Man do I feel ancient...................
Old Oct 14th 2007, 9:48 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

From the article:

"Over time, it also accelerated the drive to manufacture products in Asia, drove countless small shops out of business and sped the decline of Main Street. Those changes are permanent."

:curse::curse::curse:
Old Oct 14th 2007, 11:19 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Since they are indirectly responsible for my DH having a job, I am glad someone buys their stuff.
Old Oct 14th 2007, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Good - besides everything else Walmart, the step away from mass produced shite foodstuffs stacked in rows of freezers and shelves is exactly what the US needs.
Old Oct 14th 2007, 3:38 pm

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point

They are opening a Super Store in my neighborhood on November 7th and I can't wait. God bless Wal-Mart and their low prices.
Old Oct 14th 2007, 3:52 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

I read an interesting report a few months ago.

It was a comparison between the way that Sams operates and the way that Costco operates.

Costco is a 55 BILLION a year turnover company. The CEO and founder, earns a good, decent salary. They pay their staff way above average wages, and if I recall, 90 percent of their staff got healthcare benefits. He tries to answer every problem call himself, and to top it off, his employment contract is a page long. He can be kicked out at any time for lack of performance.

The differences are stark.
Old Oct 14th 2007, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

David Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mdyoung
They are opening a Super Store in my neighborhood on November 7th and I can't wait. God bless Wal-Mart and their low prices.
What's the price of low prices to the community? The small stores die leaving boarded up stores on Main Street. There are then less jobs overall and mostly at lower wages with weak or non-existent benefits. A vast amount of space is used for a parking lot - how attractive - and Wal Mart gets reduced or no taxes for years, free water, free access roads etc because it tells the local planning board how wonderful it's going to be. A few years later, Wal Mart moves across town leaving it's first site as a crime ridden eyesore that no other competitive retailer is allowed to lease. This has happened here in GA, where there are over 50 vacant Wal Mart stores across the state.
But worst of all, is that the Chinese now have a blueprint of our tastes (or lack thereof), our size and color preferences and so on that they may ultimately use to bring their own retailers here.
Old Oct 14th 2007, 4:28 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Redlippie
I read an interesting report a few months ago.

It was a comparison between the way that Sams operates and the way that Costco operates.

Costco is a 55 BILLION a year turnover company. The CEO and founder, earns a good, decent salary. They pay their staff way above average wages, and if I recall, 90 percent of their staff got healthcare benefits. He tries to answer every problem call himself, and to top it off, his employment contract is a page long. He can be kicked out at any time for lack of performance.

The differences are stark.
Absolutely - give me COSTCO over the Wally empire any day!

However, not everyone has the choice. Part of the problem is that Wal-Mart/Sam's Club dominate in certain areas, and I would not expect people to drive miles out of their way just to avoid them.
Old Oct 14th 2007, 5:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by David Richardson
What's the price of low prices to the community? The small stores die leaving boarded up stores on Main Street. There are then less jobs overall and mostly at lower wages with weak or non-existent benefits. A vast amount of space is used for a parking lot - how attractive - and Wal Mart gets reduced or no taxes for years, free water, free access roads etc because it tells the local planning board how wonderful it's going to be. A few years later, Wal Mart moves across town leaving it's first site as a crime ridden eyesore that no other competitive retailer is allowed to lease. This has happened here in GA, where there are over 50 vacant Wal Mart stores across the state.
But worst of all, is that the Chinese now have a blueprint of our tastes (or lack thereof), our size and color preferences and so on that they may ultimately use to bring their own retailers here.
So what's the answer? Outlaw large stores? Outlaw low prices?

Don't get me wrong - I love main street, I love little stores. I don't shop for much at Walmart.

But if it wasn't them, it'd be some other big store - since most folks seem to want the low prices. I'm not sure how you stop the problem.
Old Oct 14th 2007, 6:49 pm

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by David Richardson
What's the price of low prices to the community? The small stores die leaving boarded up stores on Main Street. There are then less jobs overall and mostly at lower wages with weak or non-existent benefits.
Here it's a good thing. We have nothing to close and board up. 400 new jobs plus the jobs from the other stores that will open in the shopping center.

http://news.mywebpal.com/news_tool_v...ryID=5768&on=1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.