Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

VVOT: Changing Career... need advice... hugs... etc.

VVOT: Changing Career... need advice... hugs... etc.

Old May 16th 2006, 1:21 am
Forum Regular

jeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud of
Lightbulb VVOT: Changing Career... need advice... hugs... etc.

Hi Friends,

Well, for the last week I've been fretting over a possible career change.

My work history has been in administration with various non-profit organizations.

I've been offered a position with a local law firm to work as a legal secretary and train as a paralegal.

I decided to take the position.

I gave my two-weeks notice today and was surprisingly met with some animosity. I have a great history with this organization and it's come down to calling me "disloyal" and other heart breaking names.

It's going to be a long two weeks and, at the end of it, I'll still have 4 days of vacation time that I earned by being employed there for a certain amount of time. Vacation time was not available during my first year of employment, I had to work enough hours to earn it.

Indiana is an at-will employ state, which means they don't even have to offer me any vacation time. However, I really feel that I earned it. I did my time - so to speak.

Our employee handbook doesn't state that vacation time is or is not paid out at the time of resignation and/or terminiation.

It simply says that vacation earned will not be cashed out in lieu of taking the actual days off.

Unless I take the 4 days during my two-weeks notice (which I can't, because it will never be approved), I don't have the option to take them and feel it should be paid out to me at the end of my notice.

How should I approach them about this - if at all?

Any ideas? Advice? Even if it's to say that I'm a total loon to think I should be paid, I'll understand.

It was hard enough to even come to this decision, but after I was treated the way I was today - I know I made the right decision.

Thanks for listening.

)
Old May 16th 2006, 1:35 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VVOT: Changing Career... need advice... hugs... etc.

Hi Jennifer,

I can't really help you with whether you will get the vacation pay (although you probably deserve it). I suppose what's written in the handbook is what they'll abide by.

But, I can give you some hugs that you asked for, and say congratulations on your career move!

HUGS,
Rene
Old May 16th 2006, 2:16 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeninifer
I decided to take the position ... I gave my two-weeks notice today and was surprisingly met with some animosity ... Indiana is an at-will employ state...
Forget about the vacation time and save yourself from two weeks of hell... leave tomorrow. "At-will" works both ways... and you can enjoy the next two weeks and treat yourself to some peace and quiet. You've earned it.

Ian
Old May 16th 2006, 3:48 am
BE Enthusiast

janadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond repute

How large is this company - do they have an HR department?

Employers can sometimes have such varied policies on these things - is there not one single person at the company you can ask?

Has your supervisor been hostile to you? Have you point blank asked your supervisor? Or THAT person's supervisor?

Originally Posted by jeninifer
Hi Friends,

Well, for the last week I've been fretting over a possible career change.

My work history has been in administration with various non-profit organizations.

I've been offered a position with a local law firm to work as a legal secretary and train as a paralegal.

I decided to take the position.

I gave my two-weeks notice today and was surprisingly met with some animosity. I have a great history with this organization and it's come down to calling me "disloyal" and other heart breaking names.

It's going to be a long two weeks and, at the end of it, I'll still have 4 days of vacation time that I earned by being employed there for a certain amount of time. Vacation time was not available during my first year of employment, I had to work enough hours to earn it.

Indiana is an at-will employ state, which means they don't even have to offer me any vacation time. However, I really feel that I earned it. I did my time - so to speak.

Our employee handbook doesn't state that vacation time is or is not paid out at the time of resignation and/or terminiation.

It simply says that vacation earned will not be cashed out in lieu of taking the actual days off.

Unless I take the 4 days during my two-weeks notice (which I can't, because it will never be approved), I don't have the option to take them and feel it should be paid out to me at the end of my notice.

How should I approach them about this - if at all?

Any ideas? Advice? Even if it's to say that I'm a total loon to think I should be paid, I'll understand.

It was hard enough to even come to this decision, but after I was treated the way I was today - I know I made the right decision.

Thanks for listening.

)
Old May 16th 2006, 5:55 pm
Salinator

If you do not need the money, and they are giving you a hard time, I do
not believe that you are legally obligated to put in '2 weeks'. That is
a guideline that employers will put in so you do in fact think about
giving them some notice before you leave . Clean out your desk and
thumb your nose at those who called you names as you leave (if you
don't need the money).
If they are not obligated to pay you for vacation pay, I would forfeit
it and move on to greener pastures.
A

Old May 16th 2006, 6:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

janadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond repute

My advice is the opposite - whether or not you need the money, don't thumb your nose at them. Take the higher road and do not stoop to their level. Don't burn bridges.

Originally Posted by Salinator
If you do not need the money, and they are giving you a hard time, I do
not believe that you are legally obligated to put in '2 weeks'. That is
a guideline that employers will put in so you do in fact think about
giving them some notice before you leave . Clean out your desk and
thumb your nose at those who called you names as you leave (if you
don't need the money).
If they are not obligated to pay you for vacation pay, I would forfeit
it and move on to greener pastures.
A
Old May 16th 2006, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

DCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really nice

Exactly, you are getting bad advice here. This job will be on your resume forever. Do not leave on bad terms.

Perhaps your firm thinks 2 weeks is not enough, and hence the comments? If you are in a critical position, 2 weeks is not nearly enough time to recruit, hire and train your replacement.

Originally Posted by janadeen
My advice is the opposite - whether or not you need the money, don't thumb your nose at them. Take the higher road and do not stoop to their level. Don't burn bridges.
Old May 16th 2006, 7:37 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DCMark
Exactly, you are getting bad advice here. This job will be on your resume forever. Do not leave on bad terms.

Perhaps your firm thinks 2 weeks is not enough, and hence the comments? If you are in a critical position, 2 weeks is not nearly enough time to recruit, hire and train your replacement.

Which might well be the case, however, you are under no obligation to remain for more than the 2 week notice that you gave unless they ask you to and you choose to remain. It is common business practice to give two weeks notice when leaving a job unless your company has other rules in place and you have formally agreed to adhere to them.

As for your resume, most company will only give a reference that you have worked for them from xxx to xxx. They usually never give a salary received and even more rarely a "bad" reference as it could mean a lawsuit if they are found to have said something that was balantly untrue and resulted in your not being offered the job you interviewed for.

Rete
Old May 16th 2006, 7:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

That was there choice.

I have noticed that many jobs here have 2 weeks max when 3 months would be normal in the UK.

Works both ways, if they can send you on your way with no issues, why get excited about it the other way.
Old May 16th 2006, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

DCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really nice

Legal obligation vs. professional obligation are two different things. She has no obligation to give two weeks, so that is a red herring.

Its never good to burn bridges. The informal network of employers (depending on your industry and/or location) is real and can come back to bite you. I have never given less than one month notice. As she moves up the ladder from administrative to paralegal work, this will become more important.

I am not saying stay more than 2 weeks, but that MAY be the reason for the comments.

Originally Posted by Rete
Which might well be the case, however, you are under no obligation to remain for more than the 2 week notice that you gave unless they ask you to and you choose to remain. It is common business practice to give two weeks notice when leaving a job unless your company has other rules in place and you have formally agreed to adhere to them.

As for your resume, most company will only give a reference that you have worked for them from xxx to xxx. They usually never give a salary received and even more rarely a "bad" reference as it could mean a lawsuit if they are found to have said something that was balantly untrue and resulted in your not being offered the job you interviewed for.

Rete
Old May 16th 2006, 7:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Legal obligation vs. professional obligation are two different things. She has no obligation to give two weeks, so that is a red herring.

Its never good to burn bridges. The informal network of employers (depending on your industry and/or location) is real and can come back to bite you. I have never given less than one month notice. As she moves up the ladder from administrative to paralegal work, this will become more important.

I am not saying stay more than 2 weeks, but that MAY be the reason for the comments.
I was on 3 months, but like anything these are negotiable. I have friends on 6 months.

I know in IT in CO that 2 weeks is the norm and 2 weeks is it generally, even for those on $100k+.

When it comes down to it you need to do whatever makes you feel comfortable, I certainly would have no issues 'taking' my 4 days hols.
Old May 16th 2006, 8:05 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I was on 3 months, but like anything these are negotiable. I have friends on 6 months.

I know in IT in CO that 2 weeks is the norm and 2 weeks is it generally, even for those on $100k+.

When it comes down to it you need to do whatever makes you feel comfortable, I certainly would have no issues 'taking' my 4 days hols.

Here in my industry for my level of employment is has always been 2 weeks notice. As for vacation and sick/personal time, both are earned and not given at the generosity of the firm. So when you leave you are given what you have accrued to until the last day of employment. It is our handbook, was in the handbook of my last firm, as well, and a matter of honor in the one before that.
Old May 16th 2006, 8:07 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

You'll find answers to your questions here:
http://www.in.gov/labor/wagehour/estandfaq.html

I'd walk and tell 'em to go whatever themselves. They must pay you including vacation time and they start bs-ing your new employer, there's a "blacklisting law" available for redress. As you're going to train as a paralegal, would suggest you practice with a pro se if they step more than 3 nanometers outta line -- it'll be good practice for ya!
Old May 16th 2006, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

jeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud of

I really appreciate the thoughts!

I would (or could) never not fulfill the obligation of my two-weeks notice. Regardless of if they deserve it or not. That's just not my style.

I just know when I approach them about the vacation payout that it's going to be a HUGE mess. I'm wondering if it's worth it, but I'm going to go for it anyway.

They begged and begged me to say, but the lack of professionalism on their part at this time is reflective of my reasons for choosing to move on.

Now that they know I'm not going to change my mind - I'm just the most horrible person in the world.

My direct supervisor and other peers are understanding and respect my decision.

The problems I'm getting are coming down from our Board of Directors.

Two days into my two weeks and it still sucks.

)