Wikiposts

VPN Question

Old May 21st 2016, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default VPN Question

I've used free VPNs in the past and wondered just how useful they are. Would it be worth paying for VPN, if suppose one would theoretically use it to download British TV programs using Bittorrents. Not that one would of course.
Old May 21st 2016, 10:32 am
Banned

themadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VPN Question

I've got a Tunnelbear, 20 bucks for a years' subscription. Definitely one of the more professional VPNs out there, their phone app is excellent. Doesn't seem to work with BBC iPlayer though since they upped their encryption, similar to what Netflix have done for none US residents
Old May 21st 2016, 11:44 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

If you're going to use Bittorrent, why bother?

VPNs used to watch shows abroad aren't actually VPNs, they don't use any encryption. They're just called that because you typically use the VPN client software in Windows to connect to the proxy.

But it's just a proxy that changes your IP address. The actual data is transmitted in the clear so your ISP can see it just as easily as if you went to The Pirate Bay directly. It's still coming across peer-to-peer.

The advantage of using a proxy is that you can go to the XYZ website in the UK and it thinks you are in the UK. But nowadays they have more security than just geolocation, for example they ask for your address, credit card details, etc. The most common one is that your cable/satellite provider gives you a username and password to access the XYZ website.

Frankly I'm bemused by the whole thing because I can't honestly say I miss British TV in the slightest.
Old May 21st 2016, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
If you're going to use Bittorrent, why bother?

VPNs used to watch shows abroad aren't actually VPNs, they don't use any encryption. They're just called that because you typically use the VPN client software in Windows to connect to the proxy.

But it's just a proxy that changes your IP address. The actual data is transmitted in the clear so your ISP can see it just as easily as if you went to The Pirate Bay directly. It's still coming across peer-to-peer.

The advantage of using a proxy is that you can go to the XYZ website in the UK and it thinks you are in the UK. But nowadays they have more security than just geolocation, for example they ask for your address, credit card details, etc. The most common one is that your cable/satellite provider gives you a username and password to access the XYZ website.

Frankly I'm bemused by the whole thing because I can't honestly say I miss British TV in the slightest.
I hardly watch anything but British TV. The ISP probably does care. It isn't the isp that"s the concern.

Last edited by johnwoo; May 21st 2016 at 2:36 pm.
Old May 22nd 2016, 4:56 am
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Get a smart DNS service, better for streaming video. I use Overplay and iPlayer and the likes work fine. If one is hell bent on torrenting, it would be better to use a VPN as DNS does not encrypt or hide your IP address.

Not all VPNs are equal, either. If you really want a private service it's worth doing the research. Many VPN services record and track logs, making them not altogether private at all. Some claim not to, although it's hard to determine what they're really sharing/selling.
If I was in the market for one I'd be looking at something based in Panama. At the end of the day, it's impossible to really know what your ISP or VPN provider is really doing behind the scenes.
Old May 22nd 2016, 7:57 am
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

I use a VPN provider based in Hong Kong. Supposedly no logs kept.

Access to UK viewing is via a Roku, which is hooked to a router that thinks it is in the UK, courtesy of a permanent link to the VPN provider. So all the UK Roku apps are available, delivering all the UK channels. Of course the Roku won't then serve up US channels and content, but that's the job of its twin sitting next to it! Dealing with the Roku apps and interface is a lot less hassle than messing around with websites and suchlike.
Old May 22nd 2016, 11:03 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by username.exe
Get a smart DNS service, better for streaming video.
Agreed.
Old May 24th 2016, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

Marc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond repute

I use SmartDNSProxy
https://www.smartdnsproxy.com/

The DNS allows access to iPlayer etc. It's fast enough to stream live HD (with my 50Mb Cox cable line). We still use the downloads when we want to watch stuff without any risk of stuttering though.
It also has a load of VPN servers you can connect to for download of torrents without getting nasty-grams from the ISP. They connect at full speed most of the time.