Voltage converters

Old Feb 6th 2018, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

Amy288 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Voltage converters

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to find a voltage converter to use my curling iron and hair straighteners here. I replaced my hair dryer and my cheaper curling irons but I have a few that are too expensive to replace. None of them use a huge amount of power (nowhere near the 2000 watt limit on most of them) However looking on Amazon most of them say not for use with electronic controlled heating appliances. Am I missing something or do I need a special kind? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 6th 2018, 3:38 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Voltage converters

You need a step-up transformer (to run 240v appliances on a 120v supply), not a voltage converter, which is for rinky-dink, low power things, like elecronics.

To ensure safe operation I recommend that you buy one rated for twice the power rating of the most powerful device you will use it for - e.g. a 2kw transformer for a 1,000w device.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 6th 2018 at 3:41 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

Amy288 is an unknown quantity at this point

That would be why I'm having no luck then! Back to Amazon I go! Thank you
Old Feb 6th 2018, 3:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amy288
That would be why I'm having no luck then! Back to Amazon I go! Thank you
You're welcome.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 2:36 am
Forum Regular

OldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond repute

something like this (get the one for the wattage you need)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MXW85A

I have always used Power Bright, both in UK and here. I'm sure similar designs work as well.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 6:33 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Eventually you will give up, drink the Koolaid and just buy new 110v devices.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 6:38 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

You have no idea from the amazon site whether its a nasty cheap crxx EI transformer ot a decent torroidal / donut supply. This makes a huge difference to ITS power consumption, noise, heat etc.

Be smart - buy a high efficiency torroidal device.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 6:45 pm

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Always, AxV=W and that you want 150-200% oversizing. Transformers are usually rated in VA ie 5kva which means it can deliver in the us ??x120=5000. about 40 amps so dont exceed 20 amps...
Old Feb 7th 2018, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
.... Transformers are usually rated in VA ie 5kva .....
Not ones suitable for home use in the US, they're rated in watts, which amounts to the same thing, of course.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Not ones suitable for home use in the US, they're rated in watts, which amounts to the same thing, of course.
Why do you say not suitable for use in the us? Is it a certification thing or ? I know 120v is a bit weak b ut it must be safe for some load?
Old Feb 7th 2018, 7:41 pm

Why do you say not suitable for use in the us? .....
I didn't. Read it again, as a direct response to your post that I quoted.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 7:48 pm

I didn't. Read it again, as a direct response to your post that I quoted.
Nope, sorry, not getting it, why is VA an unsuitable way of specifying a transformer for use in the us would you care to elucidate?

Very happy if america uses different physics or even nomeclature, but please say why?
Old Feb 7th 2018, 8:37 pm

Nope, sorry, not getting it, why is VA an unsuitable way of specifying a transformer .....
I didn't say that either!
Old Feb 7th 2018, 9:02 pm

I didn't say that either!
Ok, thats cool, if obfuscations your thing Mr Trump, carry on.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 9:22 pm

Ok, thats cool, if obfuscations your thing Mr Trump, carry on.
I was kinda busy, and hoped that if I got you to reread what I had originally said, you would realize that you had simply misunderstood. But apparently not.
The transformers that are sold in the retail market in the US are rated by watts. I'll break down what I said into clear words and phrases:

I disagreed with you -> "Not"

I specified ones that are sold in the US for home use -> "ones suitable for home use in the US"

Then I told you that they're rated in watts.

Is that clear now?

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 7th 2018 at 9:25 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.