Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Visiting Scotland - castles, etc

Visiting Scotland - castles, etc

Old Aug 9th 2018, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting Scotland - castles, etc

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
The roads were empty , the scenery superb, we did Oban and continued north through Glencoe, basing at the foot of Loch Lomond, fabulous hotel, the Lovatt Arms. Did the Isle of Skye, a bunch of local stuff, struck north for Inverness, then round to Aberdeen for the flight to London and connection back to Geneva.
The Lovat in Fort Augustus? (the Lovat Arms is apparently further north in Beauly) Yes, we stayed there too, and yes, it was really good. We missed the rush by going in the first week of September.
Old Aug 9th 2018, 4:09 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Owen778
The Lovat in Fort Augustus? (the Lovat Arms is apparently further north in Beauly) Yes, we stayed there too, and yes, it was really good. We missed the rush by going in the first week of September.
Fort Augustus, that's the one. Cannot recommend it highly enough.
Old Aug 9th 2018, 4:27 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
What does that mean for the Midge situation? More or less of that mini Satan's army?
Out of season, midges are not really a problem, season being typically May/June-August.
Old Aug 9th 2018, 4:52 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Yuk, I hope we miss the midges.

Rene
Old Aug 9th 2018, 5:05 pm
Gloves off

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yuk, I hope we miss the midges.

Rene
September they should be on the wane,
Old Aug 9th 2018, 5:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Firt Augustus - together with Fort William and Fort George - reminders of the Hanoverian occupation. For me the most oppressive is Foirt William which galic-speakers call "The Garrison".
Old Aug 9th 2018, 5:36 pm
Gloves off

Originally Posted by scot47
Firt Augustus - together with Fort William and Fort George - reminders of the Hanoverian occupation. For me the most oppressive is Foirt William which galic-speakers call "The Garrison".
Ok, that as may be, but bring it down a bit please?

This thread is about tourism...
Old Aug 9th 2018, 7:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

notaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going on a trip to the UK in September. Spending a few nights in Edinburgh and doing the 1-day coach tour up to Inverness and back, including a boat trip on the Loch Ness and visiting Urqhuart Castle. The tour company we booked with is called Timberbush. I can't wait!!

Rene
If your able, I’d recommend switching tours and going for an Eilean Donan/Isle of Skye over Urqhuart and Inverness. Much more to see and you’ll be off the bus more. Urqhuart is very touristy and Inverness just doesn’t have much other than Culloden.
Old Aug 9th 2018, 11:46 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notaclue

If your able, I’d recommend switching tours and going for an Eilean Donan/Isle of Skye over Urqhuart and Inverness. Much more to see and you’ll be off the bus more. Urqhuart is very touristy and Inverness just doesn’t have much other than Culloden.
I Googled this, and it looks like all the tours involving Isle of Skye, leaving from Edinburgh, are 3 days long! We are only in Edinburgh 2 whole days, and want 1 day to see things in the city, so can only do a 1-day trip outside the city. It does look beautiful, though!

Rene
Old Aug 10th 2018, 12:17 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

I Googled this, and it looks like all the tours involving Isle of Skye, leaving from Edinburgh, are 3 days long! We are only in Edinburgh 2 whole days, and want 1 day to see things in the city, so can only do a 1-day trip outside the city. It does look beautiful, though!

Rene
I lived in Edinburgh for 6 months as a student in 1990 ish. Absolutely fabulous time, and countless beautiful things to see. Enjoy. I would be back there in a flash.
Old Aug 10th 2018, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by RICH
I lived in Edinburgh for 6 months as a student in 1990 ish. Absolutely fabulous time, and countless beautiful things to see. Enjoy. I would be back there in a flash.
I really wish we had more time there now! But we're packing a lot of places into just 2 weeks, and have already booked all our hotels and travel arrangements. I see another trip there in my future!

Rene
Old Aug 10th 2018, 2:27 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

I really wish we had more time there now! But we're packing a lot of places into just 2 weeks, and have already booked all our hotels and travel arrangements. I see another trip there in my future!

Rene
If you are booked at a hotel in Charlotte Square - that's likely where I worked and should be awesome!
Old Aug 10th 2018, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by RICH
If you are booked at a hotel in Charlotte Square - that's likely where I worked and should be awesome!
Charlotte Square doesn't sound familiar. We will be at the Hilton Carlton because I had enough points for 3 free nights! Whee!

Rene
Old Aug 10th 2018, 9:54 am
Gloves off

Rene
If you only have two days there, I would tentatively suggest that you spend those two days in Edinburgh, there's loads to see, and you don't really need to be wasting a chunk of that time on a coach...
Old Aug 10th 2018, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

+1 on that there's loads to see in Edinburgh.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.