Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Visiting Scotland - castles, etc

Visiting Scotland - castles, etc

Old Aug 1st 2018, 8:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Visiting Scotland - castles, etc

My g/f wants to visit Scotland, and wants to see castles, scenery, etc. I'm not keen on driving in the UK any longer (especially on narrow, winding country roads), so I was wondering just how feasible is it to visit some of the major castles by train. I'd like to get to Edinburgh, find a decent hotel, and use that as a base for about 5 days of travel. Is this feasible? Are there some good castles that are relatively easy to get to?
Old Aug 1st 2018, 10:55 pm
N99sea

naomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting Scotland - castles, etc

We recently traveled to Scotland and did a Rabbie's bus tour - Lochs and Castles. It was excellent! Left from Edinburgh around 8, returned that evening. Small bus, very low key. They have a good website and you can book online. Naomi.
Old Aug 2nd 2018, 1:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

My wife and I went and visited castles and scenery in Scotland for a week a couple of years ago. We flew into Inverness and drove to Glasgow, along the Great Glen. It was a wonderful trip, and not possible by train. If you don't want to drive, I would have thought a coach tour would work well, as Naomi suggests.

I didn't actually own a car until I moved to the US, so I've visited a few Scottish castles by train, Huntly being one, but most of the best are not near stations.
Old Aug 2nd 2018, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know much about the castles in the middle or northern reaches of Scotland, but here are a few in the south and Border country. Traquair House near Peebles just south of Edinburgh, it has it's own small brewery. There is also Stirling Castle that you could take the train or a bus to. Down in SW Scotland there is Caerlaverock Castle, which is a fairly large ruin with a moat, and Drumlanrig Castle which is more like a large house, although it is really quite old. SE Scotland has a few as well ranging from ruins, to smallish (Thirlestane) to large (Floors Castle). All depends which time of year and area you want to explore.

Last edited by joto; Aug 2nd 2018 at 1:23 am.
Old Aug 2nd 2018, 2:39 am
BE Enthusiast

notaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond repute

I'm from Scotland so perhaps I can help - We actually just returned two weeks ago.

You can visit Edinburgh and Stirling via train very easily - However these castles are exceptionally touristy. If you want to see a real castle that doesn't have this then try to visit Eilean Donan, Urqhuart Castle and Culloden Battlefield (Not a castle, but still ties in).

You really would be better off renting a car, the roads aren't terribly bad. Alternatively you should try to get on a Rabbies tour.

If you are adamant on rail travel, take a train to Oban and take the boat over to Mull, take the bus south to Iona (Regular service). Return to Oban and next day catch a train to Fort William. Hop on a train to Glenfinnan (try to get on the Jacobite train) and then return to Fort William. Head north by bus to Skye and get off at Eilean Donan near Kyle of Lochalsh. Get a taxi or bus from Eilean Donan to Kyle of Lochalsh train station and spend a night there, you can walk over the bridge to Skye (Americans love this).

Next day catch a train to Inverness and visit Culloden (bus from city centre). Head back to the city centre and then hop on a train south to Stirling or Edinburgh.
Old Aug 2nd 2018, 6:50 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

The West Highland line for scenery.
Old Aug 4th 2018, 3:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I did it by Bike.
Old Aug 4th 2018, 5:43 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Visited Edinburgh for a week in August several years ago. Lovely city but bloody cold. Had to buy a woolen beanie at the souvenir store up at the castle.
Old Aug 4th 2018, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

notaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I did it by Bike.
Y'all crazy!

Originally Posted by dc koop
Visited Edinburgh for a week in August several years ago. Lovely city but bloody cold. Had to buy a woolen beanie at the souvenir store up at the castle.
Not this year! It's been exceptionally hot. We flew over mid July just there and it was close to what Kentucky was having minus the humidity.
Old Aug 6th 2018, 4:30 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notaclue
Y'all crazy!

Not this year! It's been exceptionally hot. We flew over mid July just there and it was close to what Kentucky was having minus the humidity.
Definitely a time to visit then and recommend the day bus tour of the highlands with Loch Ness included.
Old Aug 6th 2018, 4:48 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notaclue
What does that mean for the Midge situation? More or less of that mini Satan's army?
Old Aug 8th 2018, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

I can't say I noticed too many of them actually.
Old Aug 8th 2018, 10:37 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going on a trip to the UK in September. Spending a few nights in Edinburgh and doing the 1-day coach tour up to Inverness and back, including a boat trip on the Loch Ness and visiting Urqhuart Castle. The tour company we booked with is called Timberbush. I can't wait!!

Rene
Old Aug 9th 2018, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds like a long day! Have fun.
Old Aug 9th 2018, 3:24 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I'm going on a trip to the UK in September. Spending a few nights in Edinburgh and doing the 1-day coach tour up to Inverness and back, including a boat trip on the Loch Ness and visiting Urqhuart Castle. The tour company we booked with is called Timberbush. I can't wait!!

Rene
Originally Posted by Norri
That sounds like a long day! Have fun.
Long day indeed, and ALL of it will be spent on the coach.

Experiences in Scotland can come down largely to the weather. Four years ago, we went to Dalbeatie for a mate's 50th - in April. The Geneva contingent pulled back to Edinburgh for a couple of days afterwards, then the other two went home and we set off up north. April, mind, it rained once over the next week and we happened to be in a supermarket at the time.

The roads were empty , the scenery superb, we did Oban and continued north through Glencoe, basing at the foot of Loch Lomond, fabulous hotel, the Lovatt Arms. Did the Isle of Skye, a bunch of local stuff, struck north for Inverness, then round to Aberdeen for the flight to London and connection back to Geneva.

I would not wish to drive those roads peak season though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.