Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Visa for Thailand - confused...

Visa for Thailand - confused...

Old Sep 14th 2014, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute
Default Visa for Thailand - confused...

Hi

I need to attend a training class in Bangkok soon. It's related to work. Being a UK citizen, but living in the US, can I attend this using a tourist visa?

I understand that being a UK citizen & passport holder means that there is effectively a visa exemption in place, allowing me to stay for max 30 days provided I have a valid ticket for onward travel within the 30 day period.

Am I reading this correctly?

Cheers

Harold Spider Esq.
Old Sep 14th 2014, 12:17 am
Newlywed

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa for Thailand - confused...

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider View Post
Hi

I need to attend a training class in Bangkok soon. It's related to work. Being a UK citizen, but living in the US, can I attend this using a tourist visa?

I understand that being a UK citizen & passport holder means that there is effectively a visa exemption in place, allowing me to stay for max 30 days provided I have a valid ticket for onward travel within the 30 day period.

Cheers

Harold Spider Esq.
It shouldn't be a problem. I am a Canadian citizen living in Australia and traveled to Bangkok on my Canadian passport a few years ago. So long as you have a visa which allows you to get back to the country you reside in you shouldn't have any trouble.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Cheers

Harold Spider Esq.
As always, I recommend asking the airline you are thinking of travelling with and/or asking on Flyertalk.com
Old Sep 15th 2014, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimFountain View Post
As always, I recommend asking the airline you are thinking of travelling with
I recommend not. Especially if agent #7463567 is based in country X, advising what would normally be citizens of country Y, when the passenger is of country Z.

and/or asking on Flyertalk.com
That I would agree with.

Look, if you're a British citizen and can enter Thailand visa-free (like before - has anything changed?), then it should matter not which country you're flying from. The only issue you might have is if Americans need a visa for Thailand, the Brits don't, and the check-in agent doesn't know this. The only aspect I see is the training thing - ask here?
Old Sep 17th 2014, 6:43 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Americans don't need a visa for Thailand.
Old Sep 20th 2014, 1:41 am
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM View Post
I recommend not. Especially if agent #7463567 is based in country X, advising what would normally be citizens of country Y, when the passenger is of country Z.

That I would agree with.

Look, if you're a British citizen and can enter Thailand visa-free (like before - has anything changed?), then it should matter not which country you're flying from. The only issue you might have is if Americans need a visa for Thailand, the Brits don't, and the check-in agent doesn't know this. The only aspect I see is the training thing - ask here?
The bit you're missing in your hasty response is an airline tool called TIMATIC. That is the tool that all airlines should use to answer questions exactly like the one the OP posted. Agreed if you ask a random question of a frontline drone, you might not get a correct answer. However if you call them and ask them to look it up in TIMATIC, you will get an accurate answer. My I recommendation stands - call, have them document that you called and have a them look it up in TIMATIC.

Quote:
"ATA Timatic is the industry standard used by airlines and travel agents to verify passengers travel document requirements for their destination and any transit points. Airlines use this information to ensure their customers are compliant with border control rules and regulations. Timatic delivers personalized information based on the passenger's destination, transit points, nationality, travel document, residence country etc. "

https://www.iata.org/publications/pages/timatic.aspx
Old Sep 20th 2014, 1:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by penguinbar View Post
Americans don't need a visa for Thailand.
Irrelevant - the OP said he is British.
Old Sep 20th 2014, 3:32 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Cheers

Harold Spider Esq.
Your country of residence doesn't seem to be relevant. The purpose of your visit is.

According to this, business travel requires a visa: Who Needs a Visa | สถานเอกอัครราชทู ไทย ณ กรุงลอนดอน

Perhaps you can get away with using the tourist exemption, but it sounds as if you're supposed to get a business visa. How strictly they enforce that, I don't know.
Old Sep 20th 2014, 4:05 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

The bit you're missing in your hasty response
Amusingly you're guilty of the very thing you accuse me of. Try reading my post a little more carefully. Look at the emphasis. Read the words.

Ok, slow down. Read her response again. Then think about what she was commenting on and why she made that comment.
Old Sep 20th 2014, 7:55 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

It was mentioned that there could be an issue IF Americans needed a visa for Thailand. I realize that the OP is British. I posted this for any Americans who might be reading this post and not know that you don't need a visa. That's all.
Old Sep 21st 2014, 5:13 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know why you have the hump. "Ol Geoff" is entirely correct, if you care to reread the thead and note how Penguinbar's Boileresque post about "Americans not needing visas" related to the conditional "if" in the previous post.
Old Sep 21st 2014, 7:05 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

You will be fine, British get 30 days on arrival visa free, so long as you have proof of onward travel that is all the immigration care about. They have better things to do than chase after foreigners on training courses with incorrect visas.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everybody for the various pieces of information.

I will have funds and onward travel documents so I should be good to go 'as is'...

Cheers

Harold The Spider Esq.
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 3:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
I don't know why you have the hump. "Ol Geoff" is entirely correct, if you care to reread the thead and note how Penguinbar's Boileresque post about "Americans not needing visas" related to the conditional "if" in the previous post.
Originally Posted by TimFountain
Everyone else is totally right.
Including Pulaski then. Bizarre way of apologising for a stunning display of muppetry but then I have come to learn that TimNiceBut's ignore list is actually quite long. Hell of a party here.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Does anybody now the aircraft type typically used on the LHR-BKK route?
I'm presuming it's 747-400 as so many of these seem to be covering the Asia routes...

The question behind the question is access to seat power - not sure yet if I'm going economy or will bump up to premium economy with avios...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.