Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Vacation in Cancun - am I going to die??

Wikiposts

Vacation in Cancun - am I going to die??

Old Apr 18th 2011, 3:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vacation in Cancun - am I going to die??

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
To be honest with you its not just the risk factor, I have never understood why folk shell out ex amount of $$$ to go and sit in a concrete complex for a week or 2 when there are other places far safer, more interesting, cleaner,friendlier,better sight seeing safe
Then don't stay in a "concrete complex". I stayed in an absolutely fabulous B&B in Mexico, for example. I f you do enough homework, you can usually pick a place where there are more pleasant alternatives.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 3:57 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Then don't stay in a "concrete complex". I stayed in an absolutely fabulous B&B in Mexico, for example. I f you do enough homework, you can usually pick a place where there are more pleasant alternatives.
Most of the resorts and this is what friends have told me are like the Americans version of our Benidorm.

We will probably have to beg to differ on this one
Old Apr 18th 2011, 4:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Most of the resorts and this is what friends have told me are like the Americans version of our Benidorm.

We will probably have to beg to differ on this one
If you're talking about Cancun, then there are most definitely alternatives to concrete complexes. Just because most people end up in such places doesn't mean you have to. I have no knowledge of Tunisia.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 4:25 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

I've backpacked through Mexico a couple of times - once from Cancun - Merida - Campeche - Tikal (Guatemala) - Chichicastenango - Antigua. Second time was Cabo - La Paz - Los Mochis (via ferry) - Chihuahua (copper canyon rail).

I didn't feel any more threatened in Mexico than I did when I was south of Market last week (in fact a whole lot less). Guatemala was a very different vibe, mind.

Cancun didn't strike me as particularly dangerous - normal type of tourist city, probably full of spring break students at the moment.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 4:42 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

The reports by the US media blow things out of all proportion and it's killing the Mexico Tourist industry. Cancun, Cabos and the other resorts rely on holiday makers it's their main source of income, they are therefore working very hard to make sure these places are safe for tourists. Like all countries there are certain no go areas, these are not in Cancun though.

Go and enjoy your holiday.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 5:04 am
Forum Regular

EricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to all

Thanks everyone, seems like there should be no problems.

And regards concrete complexes - well yes I am staying in a resort, although it is not of the concrete bunker variety.

And regards why I would want to stay in a resort / complex, well I have travelled the world greatly, lived in India for a while, spent time in East Africa / Uganda / Asia and seen lots and lots of interesting cultural stuff, I still really enjoy that, however there are times where you want to do nothing more that lie on the beach for a week.........
Old Apr 18th 2011, 5:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EricK

And regards concrete complexes - well yes I am staying in a resort, although it is not of the concrete bunker variety.

And regards why I would want to stay in a resort / complex, well I have travelled the world greatly, lived in India for a while, spent time in East Africa / Uganda / Asia and seen lots and lots of interesting cultural stuff, I still really enjoy that, however there are times where you want to do nothing more that lie on the beach for a week.........
Have a great trip
Old Apr 18th 2011, 5:53 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I am off to Cancun at the end of the month. What are the chances of me dying a horrible death in some sort of druglord / gang related incident??
If you take to wandering around the bad part of town in the early hours...it probably ups your chances somewhat.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 6:45 am
Just Joined

matt28 is an unknown quantity at this point

Its rediculously safe.
I cant be bothered reading what everyone else has put, and with all due respect americans replying who cant bear the thought of being out of their own wonderful country, because they are small minded and brainwashed.
Its safe, I lived in the area for a long time.
the locals there know that tourism is their way of survival and wouldnt dream of harming you.
Believe it or not they actually love americans and British as much as they dont want you to think it, they believe we are better than them.
I live in Mexico and am married to a Mexican, I know what im talkin about.
Anyway stop worrying, enjoy your holiday, you will have the time of your life.
i do recommend visiting a town about 30 mins down the road called playa del carmen, bit quieter, lovely.
check out moms bar ran by a german guy.
have fun
Old Apr 18th 2011, 6:47 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

A man after my own heart, I have also traveled and lived all over the world in many countrys.....and yes to lay on a beach for a week sounds like heaven right now!
Old Apr 18th 2011, 6:58 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Here is what the Department of State has to say in its travel advisory. FWIW, I was in Oaxaca in June 2006 for a wedding when there was a lot of demonstrations and a violent army action. It was quite noticable that us Gringos were either left alone or were given advice on where not to go.

It looks like Cancun will probably be OK.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 8:18 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by matt28
I cant be bothered reading what everyone else has put, and with all due respect americans replying who cant bear the thought of being out of their own wonderful country, because they are small minded and brainwashed.
Too bad you couldn't be bothered, as all the naysayers on this thread are Brits (albeit, some naturalized US). This American didn't even bother arguing back against the danger claims because I'm busy renewing my passport after returning from Mexico last week (NOT a trip to Cancun or other resort town).
Old Apr 18th 2011, 8:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by meauxna
Too bad you couldn't be bothered, as all the naysayers on this thread are Brits (albeit, some naturalized US).
Ah, but they are all Brits subjected to the jaundiced American media
Old Apr 18th 2011, 10:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Too bad you couldn't be bothered, as all the naysayers on this thread are Brits (albeit, some naturalized US). This American didn't even bother arguing back against the danger claims because I'm busy renewing my passport after returning from Mexico last week (NOT a trip to Cancun or other resort town).
Actually it was just one sayer who nayed a number of times.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 10:15 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Actually it was just one sayer who nayed a number of times.
What's your point? This somehow validates his incorrect statement?

Quotes should include Giantaxe's comment as well.. this is why conversation here is getting beyond tiresome. But I suppose it would be asking too much to ask you to skip over a single opportunity to make someone else look wrong, no matter how right they are, if they are from the 'other team'. Whatever that is to you, Sally.
If I thought you said it with even a hint of irony or friendliness, I wouldn't mind. But it's pretty clear that you don't & I'm done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.