USA USA USA!

Old Jan 31st 2018, 10:21 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default USA USA USA!

Just wondering if any of you nouveau 'Americans' partake in the custom of chanting USA USA USA! I was surprised to see that it happens at the State of Union address, as I thought it was limited to ball games and other more mainstream events. If you recall your British mores, you'll know that, outside the Land of the Free, it sounds a bit crass...
Old Jan 31st 2018, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USA USA USA!

Nope, I shudder whenever I hear it. It's acceptable when supporting a team or an athlete representing the US, but definitely not in the Senate
Old Jan 31st 2018, 1:57 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Did your monocle fall out at the shock of hearing such a chant?
Old Jan 31st 2018, 2:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I do

Ironically
Old Jan 31st 2018, 2:25 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I've only heard this chant while watching the Olympics. Never shouted it myself.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 2:30 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Just wondering if any of you nouveau 'Americans' partake in the custom of chanting USA USA USA! I was surprised to see that it happens at the State of Union address, as I thought it was limited to ball games and other more mainstream events. If you recall your British mores, you'll know that, outside the Land of the Free, it sounds a bit crass...
No. I do stick to the time honored tradition of calling the ref a wanker at soccer matches though

In seriousness though, I've been to a couple of baseball games and one NFL game and I never heard that chant, even during the anthemy bits they add in here and there. I can't remember hearing it watching any US national soccer matces on TV.

That being said, the origin of the chant is a nice one - I believe it first came about during the 1980 Olympics, when the US ice hockey team, made up of college kids and amateurs, beat the 4-time consecutive gold medal holding USSR (which I think was basically a Red Army team and they were beasts) in the semi final. So that was an achievement that warranted such a chant, IMO.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 2:32 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
No. I do stick to the time honored tradition of calling the ref a wanker at soccer matches though

In seriousness though, I've been to a couple of baseball games and one NFL game and I never heard that chant, even during the anthemy bits they add in here and there. I can't remember hearing it watching any US national soccer matces on TV.

That being said, the origin of the chant is a nice one - I believe it first came about during the 1980 Olympics, when the US ice hockey team, made up of college kids and amateurs, beat the 4-time consecutive gold medal holding USSR (which I think was basically a Red Army team and they were beasts) in the semi final. So that was an achievement that warranted such a chant, IMO.
Maybe it is just an Olympics thing. Coming up, so you have your chance!
Old Jan 31st 2018, 2:32 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

At the State of the Union address?

Why didn't they just shout "POTUS is a wanker"
Old Jan 31st 2018, 2:38 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it is just an Olympics thing. Coming up, so you have your chance!
It might be. I don't remember it at the Rio Olympics, but I suppose that's because the NBC anchors never shut the **** up long enough, or go less than five minutes without shoehorning in some bloody sob story to actually show some sport.

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter

Why didn't they just shout "POTUS is a wanker"
"You're going home in a ****ing ambulance ..."
Old Jan 31st 2018, 2:42 pm
Yo

Hmmm....maybe I misread or misheard that? Can't find it now.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

We have a neighbor that whenever the Broncos scored a touchdown could be heard chanting USA! USA! USA!..

Luckily they were utter shit this season so I didn't have to hear it much.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 3:39 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

"You're going home in a ****ing ambulance ..."
Good wholesome stuff
Old Jan 31st 2018, 3:40 pm

Hmmm....maybe I misread or misheard that? Can't find it now.

No, it appears to be real

https://www.newsmax.com/politics/don.../30/id/840476/
Old Jan 31st 2018, 3:41 pm
I have a comma problem

Good wholesome stuff
Old Jan 31st 2018, 4:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

My favourite at Kiddy Football matches was You're even worse than the Villa, assuming we were winning, which we usually were.

Not sure it was widely understood, a bit like my Guy Fawkes bonfire.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.